It's awesome, I want one instead of Kindle 4 1.90%
It's awesome but my Kindle is better for me 40 18.96%
Nothing spectacular really 159 75.36%
It's a gamechanger, time will show 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #46
ChrisChillin
Eckhartian
ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post
Novels are black and white, that is the only one I can think of.
?
I read mostly non-fiction, and the majority of that material is completely B&W: academic and popular history, biography, theology and biblical exegesis, and even popular science.

That being said, I don't pretend that color lacks its advantages and I'll be happy to see reflective, energy-efficient color displays come into production.
ChrisChillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #47
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
You know, I think B&N will do ok; lots of people looking at e-readers for the first time will see e-ink devices, look at the color Nook, and then say "Look how much cheaper it is than the ipad!"

Will I buy one?

Nope. For me, the whole point of my Kindle is that it is small enough to tuck into my cargo pants pocket or slip into my briefcase without taking up any appreciable space. I can pull it out almost anywhere and read, even when I'm in direct sunlight. Yes, it needs a bit of TLC but I don't worry about it the way I would with a large LCD screen. And I love that it seems that I almost never have to charge it!

Now I would be lying if I said I don't appreciate color. I'd LOVE to be able to have color. But even with my medical reference books, 99% of what I do is read plain old text. Until then, my K3 is just right (ok, I *still* want some changes to the software, but I think the hardware is wonderful).
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #48
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
The color nook is just one more gadget out there that I don't need or even want.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #49
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
The unique properties of the e-ink screen (excellent readability, excellent battery life) are pretty much the only things that makes owning a dedicated e-reader worthwhile (to me). Well, also I like dedicated page-turn buttons. I would only spend money on a color LCD device if it were versatile and multifunction.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #50
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I will be surprised if BN sees even 1/4 of that success.
I cannot disagree with that, I just think the price is right for a lot of people to take the plunge. They desperately need to improve their marketing to a mass audience to achieve large numbers. Wall-Mart and Best Buy should help but they need to advertise!

I would in no way compare the draw of this device to the iPad, this was more a response to the idea that people will not spend the money in this economy.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #51
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think Wal Mart and Best Buy will hurt because people will be able to compare the Nook Color to existing tablets and will choose a tablet over the Nook Color.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #52
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post
Kids’ books, magazines, newspapers, textbooks, graphic novels, comic books, cookbooks, Almost all how to books. Seems to me there are many more genres of printed material that use color then do not.
You bring up some good points. I guess it's hard for most people to think out of their own box and how they use their readers. I probably wouldn't read many how-to books on an e-reader and I don't read children's books or comics much. Most newspapers I see are 99% b&w or could be.

I don't really agree that not having a decent color e-reader is holding the market back but, I could be wrong. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And, don't get me wrong. When color eink readers are the norm and can be gotten at a decent price, I'll be thrilled to own one. It just isn't a deal changer for me with the way I use an e-reader. From the looks of the poll results so far, I think most of us agree with that. I wish them well with it though. While I don't see this as a major market shift, it will no doubt change things some and I'm curious to see what those changes are and how Amazon reacts and when.

Great discussion all the way around.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I count myself with those who see Nookcolor as an unimpressive, crippled tablet, but arguments based on 'personal incredulity' are especially weak (though too often they carry the day). I have no access to marketing research data on this, and assume B&N did their homework. Mobileread-ers are a self-selecting sample, so while our opinions are no doubt the most informed ones available, we are not representative of the population of potential customers.

BTW Pandigital Novel (also affiliated with B&N) is another of these things, with a lower res screen and less storage, and $50 cheaper. Would not be surprised if it comes out of the same factory in China.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #54
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Hmm I'm willing to take a poll of how many you kindle fans would do a complete 180 if and when Amazon releases an LCD color ereader tablet.

My guess 90% of you
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #55
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt it. How many Nook owners on the board have posted that they pre-ordered the Nook Color? There is a topic for it but it is not being used. Why? Because most of the people here are interested in E-ink readers.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why compare the nook color to just the K3? Why not compare it to eink readers in general?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #57
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
For 'normal' reading, eInk is vastly superior to LCD, regardless of the resolution. The screen size is the key for reading. I can display a line of text 24" wide on my computer LCD monitor at 94 dpi resolution, yet I never read anything with a long line or tiny text because of eye strain. The line length makes it hard to keep your place when you shift down to the next line.

LCD screens are also shiny, although that can be fixed. But if you optimize a pearl screen surface for eInk text, you lose contrast for colors.

Magazine format, unless re-edited for a narrow hand-held size, doesn't work on an eBook screen. Color pictures and drawings and diagrams are much of the allure of magazine pages, and downsizing photographs or drawings just doesn't work in small format that is suitable for text.

If there was a reason for color, I'd agree that a color eReader might be a consideration. But for reading, not browsing through pictures, the present format is not only adequate but desirable. I'll read magazines in paper format or on a large computer monitor where I can SEE the images in their intended size and color.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #58
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd;
Hmm I'm willing to take a poll of how many you kindle fans would do a complete 180 if and when Amazon releases an LCD color ereader tablet.

My guess 90% of you
Nope, I have no brand loyalty. If BN had a nook as slim and light and with the new pearl screen, I would've bought that instead of the K3 for the epub and library books.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #59
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I doubt it. How many Nook owners on the board have posted that they pre-ordered the Nook Color? There is a topic for it but it is not being used. Why? Because most of the people here are interested in E-ink readers.
Well we'll see Professor, I am saving this post in the time capsule
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #60
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Well we'll see Professor, I am saving this post in the time capsule
Go for it. I managed to skip getting a K2 so I think I am pretty good at knowing what I am likely to buy or not.

And I doubt Amazon will put out a Kindle with an LCD screen