Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Where do you buy ebooks?
Sony Store 26 25.74%
Fictionwise 3 2.97%
Amazon 14 13.86%
Barnes&Noble 3 2.97%
Anywhere, I just strip the DRM and convert 21 20.79%
Smashwords 3 2.97%
I never buy ebooks: I just love MR 5 4.95%
Google 1 0.99%
Scibd 0 0%
author websites 0 0%
I only download freebies and use freebie sites 12 11.88%
none of these 13 12.87%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Kobo for me too. Baen is good too for my Science Fiction fix. In the short time I've had with the Sony bookstore, I've grown to hate their non existant customer service. Though I really like my PRS300, Sony is my book vendor of last resort. It's worth $.50 or $1.00 more to know I'm going to get what I pay for.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Looks like forgetting Kobo was a bigger mistake than forgetting Apple...who knew????
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Thanks Ficbot. I forgot Kobo. AND I meant to allow people to select more than one place. But somehow I munged that too. It's my first poll...
What you could do is redo the thread/poll and have a moderator delete this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Your poll only allows for one choice. I buy some books from Sony. I buy most of my Sci Fi at Webscriptions, which is a none of the above on your list.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you could do is redo the thread/poll and have a moderator delete this thread.
A good suggestion. I am learning quite a bit though, even though it is flawed!!! Flawed!!!

I'm grateful people are taking the time to answer in the comments and inform me of their favorite places. One of the reasons for the poll was because a number of authors were wondering if going with smashwords for distribution was worth the time/effort. We're just now seeing our books go up at Sony (and Apple.) A number of authors opted to go direct with apple with the belief Apple would be the big Kahuna, if not immediately, some day (could be, but this poll has yet to show anyone who has bought a book from Apple, never mind shop there regularly.)

To put my books on Sony takes a very small extra effort and small expense on my part (purchase an ISBN through Smash; not a big deal.) To put my books on Kobo and Sony means I may see my books discounted (not a big deal either, but the new contract with Amazon means they will discount to match--and the discount in all cases comes out my pocket, not the retailers.)

I'm okay with all of these things and considering Sony has been around a very long time, it's actually good to see that people are shopping there. At least people on these boards are shopping there. Same with Kobo. I had never used the site until I heard of it via smashwords.

Another finding of the poll: People do open multiple accounts with different vendors. I'm generally loathe to have too many accounts open--so the deal has to be good or it has to be a site I think I'll come back to.

The other interesting thing is that the last poll a number of people said "Fictionwise" but many mentioned their buying there had tapered off. Looks like that is the case because so far we're running low on those responses.

maria
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm also completely guessing, but it seems that experience e-readers might find they have to strip DRM to get the selection and pricing they want/expect/deserve.
It's not price but access that's led to me dabbling in the drm stuff: I've been able to buy Kindle for pc stuff from the US that I couldn't otherwise buy without a US address and card.

Also I run linux and manage my library and reader with Calibre under linux, stripping the drm is needed before I can do that properly.

Quote:
A number of authors opted to go direct with apple with the belief Apple would be the big Kahuna, if not immediately, some day (could be, but this poll has yet to show anyone who has bought a book from Apple, never mind shop there regularly.)
That's pretty much a given since you put this poll in the Sony sub-forum and afaik (I'm not cutting edge) there's no way to run access the Apple store on a Sony reader atm.

If you're trying to get a general idea of people's buying habits and you do another poll maybe you should put it into the general section instead.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Looks like Book on Board is fairly popular as well. All good info. Thanks again for all the helpful comments!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #23
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Since April 1 (Big 5 Agency mess), I have purchased from:

Barnes & Noble (2x)
Fictionwise (1x)

I have downloaded 60+ free books from my local library's Overdrive system.

And I've read 3 classics from ManyBooks.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
warrigal
warrigal began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Likewise, Baen books are really good, plus they have quite a few free ebooks, sample these to see if you like the author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
In addition to the Sony bookstore, I buy a lot of science fiction at Baen books. (webscriptions). The main reason being the content and the fact that they are drm-free.
warrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Y'all have aaaaaaalmost convinced me that it's important to be in as many stores as possible. Okay, it's true that I suspected that to be the case, but I really did wonder how popular the Sony store was. I hadn't even started to wonder about the Kobo store--so that was bonus info for me.

Yeah, as soon as I can manage the Baen store, I'll do that.

Thanks for the input. Your kindness is much appreciated!

Maria
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #26
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's as hot as Hades here on the French Riviera, there's a heatwave alert (which is kinda serious in such a naturally sweltering neck of the woods) and folks with heart conditions (like me) have been instructed by medical experts to take as much liquid as possible.

So I've had several gallons of beer so far today on doctors' orders and am a little befuddled as a result (though still firmly in the land of the living, according to my pulse).

Here's the deal such befuddlement has prompted: Pop into my publishing site (linked below), go to the bookstore section, pick out two or three titles that catch your eye, email me, and -- for tomorrow and the weekend -- I'll send them over in the ebook format of your choice with our compliments. (Some earlier work is still in PDF only, but -- until we've converted the whole catalogue -- most, and all recenty titles, are also in ePub and Mobi (carefully prepared in house rather than through an automatic conversion process, so no problems).

There really are some beauts there. I know a lot of you, though, will only read free books. This is fair enough because you might just pass on a good word to some sucker who's willing to blow the cobwebs off a credit card and actually stump up a few bucks. So it's not really a free gift, it's called promotion.

Also, it's a wee way of saying thanks for your company this week, chaps and chappettes of MobileRead.

Cheers and happy reading. Neil ... ntmarrATbewrite.net (but use the @ sign, natch)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drm_free_green with bb.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	54782  
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #27
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
It's as hot as Hades here on the French Riviera, there's a heatwave alert (which is kinda serious in such a naturally sweltering neck of the woods) and folks with heart conditions (like me) have been instructed by medical experts to take as much liquid as possible.

So I've had several gallons of beer so far today on doctors' orders and am a little befuddled as a result (though still firmly in the land of the living, according to my pulse).

Here's the deal such befuddlement has prompted: Pop into my publishing site (linked below), go to the bookstore section, pick out two or three titles that catch your eye, email me, and -- for tomorrow and the weekend -- I'll send them over in the ebook format of your choice with our compliments. (Some earlier work is still in PDF only, but -- until we've converted the whole catalogue -- most, and all recenty titles, are also in ePub and Mobi (carefully prepared in house rather than through an automatic conversion process, so no problems).

There really are some beauts there. I know a lot of you, though, will only read free books. This is fair enough because you might just pass on a good word to some sucker who's willing to blow the cobwebs off a credit card and actually stump up a few bucks. So it's not really a free gift, it's called promotion.

Also, it's a wee way of saying thanks for your company this week, chaps and chappettes of MobileRead.

Cheers and happy reading. Neil ... ntmarrATbewrite.net (but use the @ sign, natch)
Neil,

You've got some GREAT covers out there. Really impressed and quite envious. I'll send you a request--but here's the titles that caught my eye:

Capable of Murder by Brian Kavanagh
http://www.bewrite.net/mm5/merchant....egory_Code=HUM

Allakazzam by Daniel Ableman

The Devil Can Wait by Marta Stephens

Maria
Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just drop me a line of which formats you'd prefer, Maria, and I'll send them over: ntmarrATbewrite.net (but with the @ sign). Interesting to see in your post that two of the titles you've chosen are actually books within a series; I'll send you the complete series of each -- but attached to two or three separate emails so's not to give your postbox a heart attack. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #29
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I usually buy from Amazon as I'm already set up there, and it's the most convenient, but I'm open to buying from anywhere.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #30
Dalwyn
Dalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for the link neilmarr, will review your selection when I get home. Wife has given me my credit card back, so I can purchase more stuff now.

Maria,
Just to add to my selection "Sony Store":
Kobo
BooksonBoard
Borders (they just started selling ebooks in epub format)
and WHSmith in UK when I can't get the ebook in the US.

Regards
Dale
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote