Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Still investigating and intrigued

I'm Laura, been intrigued by e-readers for a number of years now. Since it's looking like they are getting more mainstream via the Kindle, I'm sniffing around a little more seriously. I'll look in the "which one" thread a little more seriously as I get the chance, but if anyone can give some quickie advice I'd appreciate it!
I'm a veterinary professor and fiber arts hobbyist. The big draws for me in an e-reader would be PDF's of journal articles and knitting patterns. I was very encouraged by the large-format Kindle with native PDF recognition. But. I want to be able to highlight and take small margin notes. And being able to zoom is pretty vital for some of the detailed knitting charts I might look at.

So, is there an easy, *free* way to convert the PDF's to something that Kindle can deal with better for those functions? Or is there another brand of large-format reader that is better with PDF's? Or will I just have to wait until Amazon and Adobe get their acts together and come out with better cross-compatibility?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Laura and welcome to MobileRead. I've got a Sony 505 and like it a lot. But kindle owners will log on shortly and give you good advice.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Laura and welcome to Mobile Read! As Cassidym said, some passionate Kindle owner will probably come over soon to answer your questions!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ziegl027
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
So, is there an easy, *free* way to convert the PDF's to something that Kindle can deal with better for those functions?
Sort of. It depends on the PDF itself, and whether it's DRM'd or locked. Unlocked, non-DRM'd PDFs can be converted to Word or HTML files, which can be easily converted to Kindle or other e-reading device formats.

Quote:
Or is there another brand of large-format reader that is better with PDF's?
The good news: yes, there is. The iRex Digital Reader does much better with PDFs.
The bad news: it makes the Kindle DX look cheap.

You might look at the Sony PRS-700, which has a 6" screen, but comes with PDF zoom support, and allows annotations. I'd suggesting finding one to try, because many people complain of screen glare. (I don't have a 700, so I don't know the details of its PDF support.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Laura!!

I have a Sony 700 and absolutely love it! One of the best things about MobileRead is the information contained in the various forums. There is also a Wiki that has information about the readers that are currently available and would be a good place to do some comparisons.

Good luck and enjoy your time here at MR.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the forum! I don't have the answers you're seeking, but be sure to post in the kindle forum as well for additional feedback from kindle owners.

I love my 505
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote