Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Goodreads integration on PW1

Has Amazon announced anything re: Goodreads functionality being added to PW1? In general it seems like it's been a long time since it's seen a firmware update; I would have expected one at some point to add some of the new software features in the PW2.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree View Post
Has Amazon announced anything re: Goodreads functionality being added to PW1? In general it seems like it's been a long time since it's seen a firmware update; I would have expected one at some point to add some of the new software features in the PW2.
The UK doesn't even have Goodreads on a PW2 yet.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
You all are not missing anything, the GRI is very primitive on the pw2, and this latest update doesn't include any improvements on it.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... And it's also only available to people with US accounts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you do decide to buy a Paper White two, my recommendation is to do so for the faster processor forum members have told me that there really is not a dramatic difference in speed between the paperwhite one and two.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And we now have a PW1 update: PW1 Update! PW2 feature parity!

You must have prophecy, you seem to have picked the exact time Amazon was getting ready to push the update to ask!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My PW 2012 and PW 2013 seem EXACTLY the same with the new PW 2012 upgrade including Goodreads and Collections. Just a few Collections got duplicated.

If you want to buy one now, get the cheapest one.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If I do it will most likely be a forced upgrade, like my last upgrade was (the on/off button my kindle three broke and I could no longer turn it on).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
You all are not missing anything, the GRI is very primitive on the pw2, and this latest update doesn't include any improvements on it.
I think it is okay, and have been using it.

What would you change/add?

One thing I don't like is that once you've linked Goodreads, you MUST share with GR even if you just want to share on FB or Twitter. I'd like 3 checkboxes so you can select whatever combo you want.

The other thing (and this is just a general complaint about scrolling views, web browsing, etc. on the Paperwhite) is that it forces you to swipe to advance the scroll, with no way to jump to the end or in between. It can get rather tiring. The web browser is particularly bad as it takes a very exaggerated swipe to simulate page up/down.

For example (since we're talking about GRI), the Add Amazon Books list is particularly long and therefore pretty useless for adding books that are near at the top of the list, with no way to search or sort it. There's a thing that looks like a scroll bar, but you cannot interact with it directly to move to a different position in the list.

I'd sacrifice a little screen real estate for navigation buttons, or maybe add some tap zones for better navigation.

The only exception to this I've found are the Kindle Store listings, which do respond to touch on the scroll bar to page up/down (really got to wedge your finger on the edge).

Last edited by tomsem; 03-09-2014 at 06:05 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And we now have a PW1 update: PW1 Update! PW2 feature parity!

You must have prophecy, you seem to have picked the exact time Amazon was getting ready to push the update to ask!
Haha, I guess so. You're welcome everyone!
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think it is okay, and have been using it.

What would you change/add?

One thing I don't like is that once you've linked Goodreads, you MUST share with GR even if you just want to share on FB or Twitter. I'd like 3 checkboxes so you can select whatever combo you want.

The other thing (and this is just a general complaint about scrolling views, web browsing, etc. on the Paperwhite) is that it forces you to swipe to advance the scroll, with no way to jump to the end or in between. It can get rather tiring. The web browser is particularly bad as it takes a very exaggerated swipe to simulate page up/down.

For example (since we're talking about GRI), the Add Amazon Books list is particularly long and therefore pretty useless for adding books that are near at the top of the list, with no way to search or sort it. There's a thing that looks like a scroll bar, but you cannot interact with it directly to move to a different position in the list.

I'd sacrifice a little screen real estate for navigation buttons, or maybe add some tap zones for better navigation.

The only exception to this I've found are the Kindle Store listings, which do respond to touch on the scroll bar to page up/down (really got to wedge your finger on the edge).
Two very important things. 1. The use of my own personal shelves instead of just the three standard shelves. 2. The ability to update reading status.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Two very important things. 1. The use of my own personal shelves instead of just the three standard shelves. 2. The ability to update reading status.
I suggested this somewhere else, but a workaround is to use the Experimental Browser (wifi only, goodreads.com is not 'white listed' for 3G access). After logging in and choosing the mobile web site, go to My Books and Bookmark it for future use. You can also create a document with a hyperlink to that URL so you can launch the browser from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2014_03_14T10_51_09-0700.png
Views:	228
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	120236   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2014_03_14T10_55_34-0700.png
Views:	213
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	120237  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I suggested this somewhere else, but a workaround is to use the Experimental Browser (wifi only, goodreads.com is not 'white listed' for 3G access). After logging in and choosing the mobile web site, go to My Books and Bookmark it for future use. You can also create a document with a hyperlink to that URL so you can launch the browser from there.
That is a good idea, I will try that.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Too bad the goodreads integration is only for USA.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote