Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Question about date sorting

If I understand correctly ...

The "Date" (date added) column sorts on the underlying datetime, not on the visible date.

But sometimes I want to use this in a nested sort, say Title within Author within Date -- which doesn't work, because I'll just get everything sorted by Date to the (milli)second.

I created a composite column ("{date}"), and that sorted nicely, but I took a whopping performance hit (see here ).

So I'm wondering if I overlooked an option that doesn't require the use of a composite column ...
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Regarding your post in the date-changed thread: I have an implementation that sorts dates as displayed. The performance penalty is not huge. For a 20,000 book library, the time to sort by a date column went from approximately 1/2 second to 1 second, or some 500 microseconds per book. This is consistent with my mark 1 eyeball estimate of the cost of trimming the date.

Next step is for Kovid to look at it. I might have done something stupid, he might have some suggestions for improvement, or he might object to the principle for a reason I haven't thought of.

One note: the sort will respect strange display templates and do something. If your display template is, for example yyyy/ss, then the month, day, hour, and minute will be filled in with a constant. The results could easily not be what you expect. Continuing the example, 2011/10/25 19:08:10 and 2011/01/19 10:10:10 will sort as equal because the years (2011) and the seconds (10) match.

Last edited by chaley; 11-08-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: fix typo pointed out by starson17
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
because the years (2011) and the seconds (10) match.
No they don't (typo)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
No they don't (typo)
Yes they do. Neener neener.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Yes they do. Neener neener.
Neener neener - WTF???? I just finished watching BBC's 8 part series on the English language. I wonder where that one came from
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Neener neener - WTF????
See http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Neener-neener. No idea what the etymology is.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony

That makes a lot of sense -- and saves me a big perfomance hit since I don't have to use a composite column!

p.s. I'd already quoted it but got distracted while you fast fingered guys chatted

Quote:
Continuing the example, 2011/10/25 19:08:10 and 2001/01/19 10:10:10 will sort as equal
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
That makes a lot of sense -- and saves me a big perfomance hit since I don't have to use a composite column!
Thanks for the comments on performance vis-a-vis compostie columns. They'll help me too.

Quote:
p.s. I'd already quoted it but got distracted while you fast fingered guys chatted
Hope it didn't bother you too much
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The change mentioned in post #2 will be in the next release. Users must change a tweak to enable it.