Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
So they posted their frustration and issues with the device and got the usual "it isn't the Kobo, it's you because you should be using calibre and should know better" and "piss off to the sony forum" retorts.
Well I disagree with you.
My post (and I thought most of the others) were trying to be helpful in suggesting that it is not necessary to use the Kobo software as quite a few people aren't very happy with it (although many people do seem to use it without issue) and also that it not necessary to use several different types of software unless you want to.
Several posters use Calibre exclusively and others use ADE exclusively. Many people don't find it confusing or complicated to chose another lot of software instead of the Kobo app.
It's all about sharing our own experiences.

BUT we also understand that sometimes people just want different things. I (and several other posters) congratulated tb74 on his his new Sony.

It would be nice we could have different opinions and not resort to using insults when we disagree.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
If you have an e-reader you use calibre.
Absolutely. I recommend it for those who have any brand of ereader. We have in our house for instance, a Sony PRS-300, Kobo ko1 and 2 x Jetbook Lite's. Calibre caters for them all.

Personally I do not care what ereader is chosen by a member here. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

Coming in and firing off, sitting back and watching the activity as if you are kicking an ant nest over might be amusing for that person though. Certainly offers nothing to the discussion.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #18
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Seems two versions of kobo reader are different enough to have
two versions of desktop application. I do not propagate it's usage,
since I personally don't use it. Looks like new app broke handling
for original reader. If it would be me, I'd roll back and offer older
version side by side with new one. It takes no effort and server
space.
The only method that never failed was manual management. Assume
avoiding all obstacles of synchronization etc. Suits me, but hardly
other posters.
My best bet is that kobo develops one app since they expect new
reader sell to old buyers.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #19
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
which would be about twice as helpful as you.

The reality is the kobo software is poor no argument. I mentioned that calibre might help him/her. if any one has been on these forums for any amount of time it quickly becomes clear that kobo has some bugs to work thorugh and that calibre helps with that.

your contribution to this discussion was..... the square root of jack Sh*t.

I happen to agree that it would be nice if you didnt have to use 3rd party software but that is the reality of our world. if you have a camera you may use the software that came with it but if you are seriouse you use photoshop. If you have an e-reader you use calibre.

Your statement that "if you have an e-reader you use calivre" is ri-DONK-ulous.

I have had my reader for months and I don't use calibre. I'm so sick of people pushing it like it's the new crack. While it works for some people and they love it, I can't be bothered. I'm not a techie geek and I don't want more software on my system. I don't care how easy you think it is to use. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to buy a reader and expect to be able to use it WITHOUT adding 3rd party software.

*returns to lurking*
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #20
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennoel View Post
I have had my reader for months and I don't use calibre. I'm so sick of people pushing it like it's the new crack. While it works for some people and they love it, I can't be bothered. I'm not a techie geek and I don't want more software on my system. I don't care how easy you think it is to use. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to buy a reader and expect to be able to use it WITHOUT adding 3rd party software.
No obligation to follow any route mentioned on this forum.
People ask question, people answer the question. If I'd ha-
ve a problem, I'd like to get solution or two, however they
prove not usable afterwords.
Posters using Calibre are not wrong and they help in deed.
Thank you guys not keeping it as a secret.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I use Calibre to get books from various sources onto my reader, but I don't like Calibre - it's clunky and the UI is annoying. So I can see how some people won't want to use it. I four applications installed (desktop readers from Sony and Kobo, ADE and Calibre) on my laptop for buying books from different places and for getting them onto my reader. That really annoys me but it's flexible enough that I can live with it.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for this information on the Sony device. It will most likely be their device that replaces my Kobo.

P.S. Had an opportunity to talk with a Kobo rep, and there is an update on the update. It is coming soon.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #23
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Well I disagree with you.
My post (and I thought most of the others) were trying to be helpful in suggesting that it is not necessary to use the Kobo software as quite a few people aren't very happy with it (although many people do seem to use it without issue) and also that it not necessary to use several different types of software unless you want to.
Several posters use Calibre exclusively and others use ADE exclusively. Many people don't find it confusing or complicated to chose another lot of software instead of the Kobo app.
It's all about sharing our own experiences.

BUT we also understand that sometimes people just want different things. I (and several other posters) congratulated tb74 on his his new Sony.

It would be nice we could have different opinions and not resort to using insults when we disagree.
I think the whole point being made was that the person ditched the kobo because it's own software is basically useless and they didn't want to have to go through several softwares and steps just to get a book onto their device.
It's actually a valid point, regardless of wether people 'should' use calibre or not.
It'd be nice that as soon as someone mentions something bad about the kobo the default response isn't "well you should've done xyz with xyz softwares and see ya later, your post isn't helpful anymore because you don't like the kobo".
I have to say that i have noticed this attitude A LOT on the Kobo forum, i even got a PM once giving me the good news about me saying how much i like my new sony and recommending it (albeit from a nice person, so that's all good). I've noticed it a lot from the same usernames as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Coming in and firing off, sitting back and watching the activity as if you are kicking an ant nest over might be amusing for that person though. Certainly offers nothing to the discussion.
Given the amount of time and posts i've put on here, it'd be a bit off-the-mark to suggest that i'm a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennoel View Post
Your statement that "if you have an e-reader you use calivre" is ri-DONK-ulous.

This is the exact point.
It makes it hard to recommend a product for a less than tech-savvy user when you know for a fact that the software that comes with the ereader is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
P.S. Had an opportunity to talk with a Kobo rep, and there is an update on the update. It is coming soon.
The update issues are another factor, but you can't really mention them or you get the "i'd rather wait and have it perfect, than have it rushed and bad etc etc etc".

I'll just add a disclaimer here and say that it may only be my view that anyone that is critical of the Kobo and says their moving, or have moved, to another device get a pasting on this forum.
It may also be only my view that software that comes with a device, no matter how cheap or expensive, should at least work. An hour to download an epub? Not on.

Anyway, label me a troll or whatever you like... i still stand by my opinion that the Kobo is a protected species for some and critising it, or it's software, results in "well all your troubles are software and you should use Calibre, but you've moved to another reader so piss off to another forum" replies from some, not all, but some.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given the amount of time and posts i've put on here, it'd be a bit off-the-mark to suggest that i'm a troll.
Given some of the comments you have been making indicates that you have decided to stir the pot here to gain a reaction.

Quote:
It makes it hard to recommend a product for a less than tech-savvy user when you know for a fact that the software that comes with the ereader is crap.
I have several ebook purchase software packages installed on my PC. These are, the Kindle for PC, Sony and Kobo. I find all of them cumbersome. The Sony software was the first to be installed when I got my first ereader, my travel PRS-300. I have used it twice during the last 11 months as it is so problematic and restrictive. I have not used the Kobo software as it is equally poor performing (see, I agree with you there!). The Kindle for PC software is merely a conduit for transferring the purchased Kindle ebook to Calibre.

Instead of using all that extraneous software, I used Calibre. It is the first software package I recommend for anyone to use when they buy an ereader, but only if that person is computer savvy enough to use it. If they are not, then the Kindle is the ereader I recommend. Of all of the ereaders I have used, the Kindle series is the easiest to transfer books to via the desktop software or Whispernet.

Quote:
The update issues are another factor, but you can't really mention them or you get the "i'd rather wait and have it perfect, than have it rushed and bad etc etc etc".
At the very least Kobo is making some moves to actaully have firmware updates. Sony does not provide this service at all. I would love to have updated firmware on my PRS-300 so that I can get full justification formatting. This will not happen.

Quote:
Anyway, label me a troll or whatever you like... i still stand by my opinion that the Kobo is a protected species for some and criticizing it, or it's software, results in "well all your troubles are software and you should use Calibre, but you've moved to another reader so piss off to another forum" replies from some, not all, but some.
Your view and your words. However your history in this forum since you moved over to the PRS-650 has been pot stirring. You will also find that only a couple of posters have said as such. I personally do not condone that.

Quote:
Again with the pot stirring. More negativity from a poster with a negative forum name and you wonder why other posters are critical of what you post.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Your view and your words. However your history in this forum since you moved over to the PRS-650 has been pot stirring. You will also find that only a couple of posters have said as such. I personally do not condone that.
Utter crap.
I was asking questions and venting frustrations long before i got a Sony, and i ended up getting a Sony due to my issues with Kobo.
Nothing i say is to stir a pot, wind people up or any of that crap. I say what i honestly think and my interactions on this forum (any forum actually) have nothing to do with provoking a response for my own gratification. If i come off as harsh or whatever else, then so be it; it's how i speak and interact in real life as well... seems to have worked fine thus far.

RE: the firmware, i'll say that i don't personally need anything updated on the Sony at the moment... so i'm not fussed.
I will say that Sony don't say "we're working on it, it'll be released hopefully Monday" and then give you no further details or timelines. They just don't say anything, which i think is a move Kobo should make.
If they need to issue a statement about issues, it should be a 'we are working to resolve it/them and will release an update as soon as we are able'... otherwise they just string people along and it is a frustration to some.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #26
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Again with the pot stirring. More negativity from a poster with a negative forum name and you wonder why other posters are critical of what you post.
I am only passing an update from the rep I spoke with. The only negativity, if you will, is from Kobo themselves, who continuously promise but fail to deliver. Do you not agree?

There is no reason why we cannot keep it friendly. Some people are more vocal than others about Kobo and their behaviour towards customers, but we can all agree that we do enjoy the device as a basic reader.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #27
sabredog

Quote:
I am only passing an update from the rep I spoke with. The only negativity, if you will, is from Kobo themselves, who continuously promise but fail to deliver. Do you not agree?
Absolutely. Remember though there is a beta test program happening now with Ko1 users. This is and should be standard practice for all software updates, especially one as important as your device OS.

However the comment I made still stands though, You did come on negative and that does taint opinions. That post I quoted appeared sarcastic.

Quote:
There is no reason why we cannot keep it friendly. Some people are more vocal than others about Kobo and their behaviour towards customers, but we can all agree that we do enjoy the device as a basic reader.
Could not agree more there. It is a fine basic ereader.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #28
zoran
himself

Quote:
It'd be nice that as soon as someone mentions something bad about the kobo the default response isn't "well you should've done xyz with xyz softwares and see ya later, your post isn't helpful anymore because you don't like the kobo".
That is the way forums work. One poster posts, another one responses.
No final statement or being carved into the stone.
The very idea of posting for help is to get attention for the problem. So,
people try to answer and say <insert_something>. Wrong answer? Don't
apply it. Look for different solution.

Quote:
I have to say that i have noticed this attitude A LOT on the Kobo forum, i even got a PM once giving me the good news about me saying how much i like my new sony and recommending it (albeit from a nice person, so that's all good). I've noticed it a lot from the same usernames as well.
Eh! One of people complaining over the reader reported comparative answer
as a spam and asked for removal. Regarding that, I would have to say just
this: close the door, turn the power off and breathe deep.

Quote:
Even the spoon is too demanding for people like that. "What? I have to have
computer to use computer? I have to pay for my ereader? What? It does not
work reading my minds? What? Nobody rings me by the phone to offer help,
when I need it? Ah, I need to know what my problem is???"
I don't want to be rude and would not. Just, folks don't keen to invest time
and effort and asking other posters to do that are not my cup of tea.

Last edited by zoran; 12-10-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Tags
kobo, prs-650, sony