Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #46
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
--snip--
and you'd love being tied into one store for buying your books - coincidentally Amazon.
Argh. I hate this. I was in a Border's Bookstore and a clerk was trying to sell someone a Sony reader...she actually told this person that the ONLY way to get books on the Kindle was via Amazon.

I fear I made an *ss out of myself but I couldn't stand it, I jumped in and said that it wasn't true. I was careful to identify myself as a Sony owner AND a Kindle owner, and I said that each one had good and bad features...but that potential buyers should evaluate them based on only those features. One thing I pointed out to the person was that the new 6-inch Sony reader is a touchscreen which is definitely not as crisp and clear as the Kindle screen. But I told her that I have 'old eyes' (at age 60) and this might be a bigger problem for me than for her.

It just annoys the heck out of me. Give them a fair look and leave it at that, but don't say things that aren't true.

Mind you, if they'd all just support EPub then the point would be moot.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #47
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
Looking at both and trying to make up my mind. I like the Sony's design, access to more open formats, and the fact I can actually try before I buy. I like Kindle's access to a larger library of new books (for cheaper) and cheaper price.

What do you think? If you were picking between the two, what pushed you toward or away from Kindle?
Consider also that some other hardware traits might be important to you:
  • screen contrast - disadvantage to Sony 600, Daily Edition.
  • screen size -
    • 5": Sony 300
    • 6": Sony 600, Kindle 2
    • 7": Sony Daily Edition
    • 9.7": Kindle DX
  • processor speed (faster page turns) - disadvantage to Sony 300, 505.
  • overall size (portability) - smallest to largest:
    1. Sony 300
    2. Sony 505/600
    3. Kindle 2, Sony Daily Edition (these two are very close in overall size)
    4. Kindle DX
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
The Sony is smaller but it's heavier than the K2.
Yes, I was talking about the footprint. I can carry it my regular size bag and forget the Sony is even there. Before I had the Sony, I had to make sure my Kindle fit in a bag with everything else before buying.

I probably don't notice the weight because of all the crap I already carry (2 cellphones, wallet, pmp, sunglasses)
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #49
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Yes . How sad... Not that the web browser is that great, but no access to mobileread free books...
Well, not wirelessly, but you can access them via computer can't you? That's what I did until I figured out how to do it wirelessly.

Last edited by Meemo; 12-06-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
I just thought of one more advantage of the Kindle (and Nook if you were so inclined) - if you have an iPhone or a Touch, you can get the apps for reading your Amazon or B&N content on your phone. I much prefer reading on my Kindle, but in a pinch I can read on my iPhone with my Kindle app. I have the B&N reader app as well, but it seems to have issues most of the time. No such app with the Sony - again, if it were something that would interest you (or anyone else trying to decide).
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Argh. I hate this. I was in a Border's Bookstore and a clerk was trying to sell someone a Sony reader...she actually told this person that the ONLY way to get books on the Kindle was via Amazon.
That is true if you are talking DRMed eBooks. And most books most people will read will have DRM and that means most eBooks read on a Kindle will have to come from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #52
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
I have a K2 and sold my K1 when I "tech refreshed". All in all, I'm really happy with it because of the Amazon kindle book prices AND the tools found via the mobileread forum. It isn't just calibre for me but a handful of apps which make it easy to use most eBook resellers and convert it to the proper format on my mac (similar stuff on PC). Having said that, I live in the USA so the kindle books are cheaper for me and all titles so far seem to be defaulting to available in this market. Your situation might not be the same.

I also considered the Sony PRS-300 for use with overdrive libraries, which again, is only helpful if you live in an area with a decent overdrive library or can purchase a membership (not as plentiful these days). In the end, I just decided it wasn't worth purchasing another device when I'll inevitably upgrade my kindle when a worthy new version comes out. As others have pointed out there's less Sony reader apps than there are free Kindle reader applications and I do find it useful to load a few books on my iPod touch.

My kindle fits in my purse but yes, I do switch out handbags so I'm carrying one that is a suitable size. Otherwise I have the iphone app and that fits into my pocket very nicely.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #53
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I'm sure if Sony had the opportunity, they would nobly refuse. That's why they don't have their own e-book store, for example.
How nice! You know, I got that one; nice deflection from that point about Amazon using the Kindle to help complete their domination of the book market! After all, what would I care about inflated pbook and ebook prices in the long run when the books are so cheap now, when other companies 'don't have e-book stores'!
Hang on... Amazon e-books aren't cheap after all for international users...

Quote:
(looks puzzled) So Sony's Rootkit doesn't bother you but Amazon's 1984 is a big deal? At least everyone who lost 1984 got a refund and no hardware damage was done. How'd that work out with Rootkit?
Rootkit. Oh yes. That 2005 thing, regarding CDs (don't ask me what that's supposed to do with ebooks, but hey).
It's amazing how Amazon keeps an eye on what you own to make sure they delete it when they think they've made a mistake. What on earth do you think they do with all that information besides?

Quote:
There may be some sheep here, I suppose. However I have books from Baen, Fictionwise, Manybooks and Mobileread on my Kindle. Kindle doesn't restrict me. But I concede it might be a bad choice for you.

Sure the Amazon store is more convenient to use on Kindle. Amazon's more convenient to use on the Internet in general because they pay a lot of attention to that. The fact that their site also has the best prices (most of the time, and given that I'm in the US) is a nice bonus. But I haven't had any trouble looking around and choosing for myself where to get my books.

If you like Sony, that's okay. But the wonderfulness of your Sony would be more apparent if you spent some time telling us the good things about your Sony, rather than bad things about the Kindle that aren't even correct.
Best prices? Not for international users. Good luck browsing other sites and for other stores outside the US with your Kindle - headlines like "Crippleware Alert! International Kindle Gets No Web Access Outside U.S." (from Wired) deserve attention..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Really? You're right it should not have happened once but why would you want it to happen "again"? What will that do for you?
Sarcasm new to you? Or do you think I'm threatening to sick Amazon onto you? Relax. I guess it mightn't happen again (you never know...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I expect it is so that she can say, "See I told you so..."

BOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
AprilHare, I'm not understanding your antagonistic approach to the Kindle. Why can't they both co-exist peacefully, without the attacks? You "can't wait for it to happen again"? Will it give you such pleasure to that?

The only sheep I see around here are those who choose not to learn from past mistakes on the part of the ebook readers, and fail to back up their investments. If that means stripping drm, then so be it.

Please allow those newbies looking for advice here to judge on the merits of the different readers without such a 'fanboy' attitude.
I think the Kindle as a piece of hardware is fine. It's Amazon that is the subject of my attention. As such it isn't a 'fanboy' thing. You buy a Kindle, you buy into Amazon's baggage; it's a commercial minefield worth avoiding.
Would it give me pleasure if it happened again? No. - Schadenfreude is a sin, so they say.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #54
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Best prices? Not for international users. Good luck browsing other sites and for other stores outside the US with your Kindle - headlines like "Crippleware Alert! International Kindle Gets No Web Access Outside U.S." (from Wired) deserve attention..
If you could point me to any ebook store which will sell to Australians at below Amazon's prices I will gladly buy from them. I'm yet to encounter one.

I also get full internet access (not that I use it at all - I find browsing on the iPhone faster and easier to navigate than the Kindle).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Sarcasm new to you? Or do you think I'm threatening to sick Amazon onto you? Relax. I guess it mightn't happen again (you never know...)

Not new to me but maybe to you since it did not come across as sarcasm (especially based on your tone throughout the thread). Maybe you need a little more practice.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #56
hautecontre
Gizmo Addict
hautecontre began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m100 -> O2 Nova -> Kindle
Spice of life, and so on

I'm a newbie here, so forgive me if I'm being naive, but it seems to me as if the competition among the different brands is benefiting us all by forcing the manufacturers to react to consumer wishes. It's definitely not a matter of one ereader being a "Kindle-killer" or another being a "nook-killer" (and reviews that make you think so drive me crazy). Everybody needs to go with what works for them and their own personal reading habits. I happened to choose a Kindle because I wanted a non-glossy screen (so the new model Sonys are out, unfortunately). I sit in front of a computer most of the day anyway, and also sometimes suffer from migraines, so the nook is out because when I relax I don't want anything with a backlit screen. I enjoy out-of-copyright classics, and I can download a lifetime's worth of reading for free for any ereader I happen to pick out. Will my Kindle completely replace my local library? No. Will I use it for everything? No - I'll still need a printout or a (color) computer screen to read scientific manuscripts with color figures, for example. Is surfing on my ereader a priority? No (see above - sitting 8+ hours in front of computer). Will it be the last ereader I ever buy and will ever want and would I recommend it to everybody? Probably not, because other people will have other needs and other reading habits. Am I excited about the developments on the ereader market? Definitely.
hautecontre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ok, now I'm really beginning to question my reading for content abilities... the nook has a backlit screen?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #58
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
no backlit screen.........from the nook support pages.........

Choose an eBook using the beautiful color touch screen, then watch it appear instantly on the E Ink® display, where text appears as crisp as a printed page. The 16-level gray scale display offers great contrast with no glare or backlight. Choose from five font sizes so you can read with ease — plus, bookmark, highlight, and make notes as you go.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #59
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*whew* thanks!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ok, now I'm really beginning to question my reading for content abilities... the nook has a backlit screen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
no backlit screen.........from the nook support pages.........
To be more precise... the nook actually has two displays. One is an eInk screen that has no backlight. The second is a small LCD thouch screen on the bottom part of the Nook. This is used for navigation, text entry, and various other data entry tasks.

However, you do not read off the LCD screen and it will turn off (or you can turn it off) after a few minutes of inactivity.

There are a few nook videos that you can take a look at:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/showing-off-n...-50080524.html

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/b...irst-close-up/

(hmm.. there was a video on the second link earlier, not it doesn't seem to show up. Strange.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote