Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Too big for a phone. Too small for a tablet. Not a size I'd be interested in. I work with someone who has a 5" Galaxy Note and it's just ridiculously large as a phone, to my mind, but he's happy enough with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
Let's say Amazon create this device (Kindle Blaze) and sell it for $149.
Google follow suit with Nexus 5.5" (Nexus Mini), also sell for $149.

These devices don't sell as well as the 7" counterpart at $199. Say 1/10 as much.

For every 10 million Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 sold, these 5.5" tablet will sell 1 million.

Is this "worth it"? Think of these little devices as "gateway" tablets for the tweens and younger teens.

If Amazon and Google can successful sell a 7" tablet for $199, I don't see why they can't be successful selling a 5.5" tablet for $149. Even 1/10 as much as its 7" counterpart is a success in my opinion.
This device already exists. It's called a Galaxy Player 5.0 with a 5" display for $199. A 5.8" model is just around the corner. Price? Not sure yet.

I'd love to see Amazon and Google enter this market, but it's highly unlikely.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Too big for a phone. Too small for a tablet. Not a size I'd be interested in. I work with someone who has a 5" Galaxy Note and it's just ridiculously large as a phone, to my mind, but he's happy enough with it.
That size would be work for me as a tablet.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Samsung isn't selling these at break-even like Google and Amazon.

There is a reason why Samsung 7" Tab is at $249 while Google and Amazon is at $199.

And Samsung marketing power in the USA is lower than Amazon or Google. If Samsung introduces a 5.5" tablet, would it get as much attention as Google or Amazon?
Don't hold your breath waiting for either Amazon or Google to jump in.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for either Amazon or Google to jump in.
I am not. I'm just speculating if there is a market for a 5.5" tablet.

I give it a 80% chance of happening in 2013, especially with the cost of materials are going down by the days. The day is drawing near when a great 5.5 inches tablet could be retail for $149.

THE FIRST TO MARKET will have an advantage.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Too big that is the first reaction when you see it --- but 'perfect size for a phone' is the feeling you get once you have actually used it. The biggest screen size device that still perfectly fits in your pocket. I have a 5" phone now, but will probably get the Note 2 since there are a number of issues with my phone now. With a smaller bezel the dimensions will still be virtually the same. Now with the Note 2 you also have the pen for note taking, etc.

Great as a phone and an "ersatz tablet" when I am out and about and want to do a little web browsing, check my e-mail, read a chapter or two in a book. Show a small product info video or catalogue. But as a real tablet?? It is too small for that. I use my tablet to watch movies, do some real browsing, read newspapers and magazines. Even 7" feels too small for that.

I think the first generation Galaxy Note sold over 1.5 million units, most in Asia (the pen is very important for handwriting input for Asian languages). And given that most Asians are smaller and have smaller hands than Caucasians you see that size really is no problem.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
It's not size that counts. . .

It's how you use it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Too big that is the first reaction when you see it --- but 'perfect size for a phone' is the feeling you get once you have actually used it. The biggest screen size device that still perfectly fits in your pocket. I have a 5" phone now, but will probably get the Note 2 since there are a number of issues with my phone now. With a smaller bezel the dimensions will still be virtually the same. Now with the Note 2 you also have the pen for note taking, etc.

Great as a phone and an "ersatz tablet" when I am out and about and want to do a little web browsing, check my e-mail, read a chapter or two in a book. Show a small product info video or catalogue. But as a real tablet?? It is too small for that. I use my tablet to watch movies, do some real browsing, read newspapers and magazines. Even 7" feels too small for that.

I think the first generation Galaxy Note sold over 1.5 million units, most in Asia (the pen is very important for handwriting input for Asian languages). And given that most Asians are smaller and have smaller hands than Caucasians you see that size really is no problem.
The Galaxy Note has sold over 10 millions unit.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/s...old-worldwide/
Samsung: 10 million Galaxy Notes have been sold, worldwide

Review

Samsung Galaxy Note: 1 Month Later (Review)

My initial impression of the Galaxy Note when it was announced was that it was laughably big. The phone/tablet hybrid was introduced as big smartphone displays were becoming the norm. But having gotten used to devices in the 4-inch range, I just couldn't fathom using the Note's oversized 5.3-inch screen as my daily driver. How I was wrong.
After nearly a month of use, every other smartphone experience literally pales in comparison. Even the HTC Titan, which I've sung the praises of before, takes some getting used to because the screen is so much smaller. Browsing, messaging, watching video and using apps is that much better on the Galaxy Note because there's so much screen real estate. And my biggest apprehension, the portability, is an absolute non-factor. It's easy to use, talk on and isn't an issue in my pocket.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The Galaxy Note has sold over 10 millions unit.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/s...old-worldwide/
Samsung: 10 million Galaxy Notes have been sold, worldwide
Thanks for the update. Now that is impressive. I don't remember where my number came from, must have been from last December.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
But for some people, it might be useful.
Actually, my daughter watched me play some game emulators on my 8" tablet and asked if she could have the same thing on something the size of a DS. I would think a 5"-6" "tablet" would fit well into a game/music player very well.

...if affordable.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
Top100EbooksRank
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post

...if affordable.
yup...that's the BIG QUESTION MARK.

And right now, the two affordable players are Amazon and Google. As demonstrated by their 7" Tablet at $199.

With cost of "parts" going down each passing weeks (Kindle Fire used to cost something like $200 to make a year ago and it is now around $140 according to Isupply breakdown), it is possible in 2013 for a 5.5" tablet to cost $149. It might even be possible right now for a break-even player like Amazon or Google.

Maybe even a 5.3" tablet (the same size as the Galaxy Note).

Galaxy Note vs Iphone4S Size

5.3" tablet or 5.5" tablet as a "gateway" tablet for tweeners or young teens.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Everything is in a niche; when I bought my original Samsung Tab nearly everyone was making 10” tablets, so I was in the niche that wanted a tab small enough to fit in my trousers pocket. Then when I bought my Samsung Note so I could have my phone and tablet in the same device I was again in a niche of having hands big enough (or eyeballs bad enough) to have a HUGE phone.

When the Intel MS Surface arrives I will be in the niche of coveting (or hopefully owning) a full featured slate that’s small enough to carry in a portfolio with a sometimes keyboard instead of a crippled PC accessory with an ARM chip.

Point is that anything that’s slightly different from the mainstream (they call that innovation) is in a niche market until they’ve sold a boatload of them, then they become the new mainstream.

Last edited by wodin; 08-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Agreed. I have a S3 (4.8") and I can't imagine using anything smaller. I might even go bigger for my next one.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Samsung Note.

Standard phone size which has been in use for many decades.

Cordless phone size which has been in use since the 1980s.

I am afraid the general public does not share your fetish about phone sizes, Harry. Most folks think a wide variety is pretty cool.

This one might get more agreement on ridiculousness:

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #30
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Agreed. I have a S3 (4.8") and I can't imagine using anything smaller. I might even go bigger for my next one.
I'm left wondering how many of those who have phones with large screens work in offices. It is an episode of "The Office" in the making to see such a person attempt to pull out that ginormous phone out of their pants pocket during a meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Cordless phone size which has been in use since the 1980s.

I am afraid the general public does not share your fetish about phone sizes, Harry. Most folks think a wide variety is pretty cool.
You need to get out into the modern world. You will NOT find a cordless phone anywhere near that size available these days.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 08-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote