Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My husband and I try to read together but he reads about a billion times faster than I do.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
You might try the George Macdonald Fraser Flashman series. Very funny and accurate historical fiction. They all take place in the Victorian era with several of them in the US.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh yes, the Flashman books are brilliant and clearly very well researched.

About the only books my husband and I each have on our ereaders are by Jane Austen and Rudyard Kipling. I know some of his writing can be bombastic but he was a great short story writer. Pass on his poetry though IMO.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Husbands and wives should always pursue their own individual reading interests. It makes the marriage stronger. (only half kidding)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #20
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Whatever your wife says you're going to read and enjoy. What option do you have?
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

The books were the Amber series by Roger Zelazny.
Hey! You know what? That was one of the few series/books we both read together --- that was before the ugly and bitter divorce.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

The pre-nuptual agreement ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks to be a good start. Thank you very much to everyone.

Because my wife loved The Hunger Games sooo much I'll look into Divergent by Veronica Roth first.

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara
Promises to Keep series by Shayne Parkinson
Vicki Tyley's various mysteries
Mudbug series by Jana DeLeon
L.J. Sellers's various mysteries
In Her Name series by Michael Hicks
Tracy Falbe's fantasy books
Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Amber series by Roger Zelazny
Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz
Thousand Kingdoms series by Mercedies Lacky
Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich
Why my third husband will be a dog by Lisa Scotolline
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Flashman series by George Macdonald Fraser
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Kama Sutra?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
:shucks: you beat me to that one !

Diana Gabaldon; Outlander Series (though not too sure it's in ebook form yet !)

David Eddings books ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #25
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Just read the first few chapters of Divergent.

Excellent. Thanks. I think my wife will enjoy it.
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2 View Post
So, my wife and I both recently got back into reading thanks to our Nooks. I seem to get through books more quickly than she does but I thought it might be fun to have a little two person book club.
Any recommendations for series or individual books for husband and wife?
This is so funny - my husband and I are doing the same thing! (at least when we can agree on books
I just got him a Kindle because I could no longer handle him buying a hard back book when I had the same book on my Kindle!! He is kinda set in his ways, wanting an actual BOOK and all! geez.

Anyway, getting back to the question at hand.
We are into our second book in our "book club". Both by John Hart.
I very highly recommend the first one we read - "The King of Lies". A great book - murder mystery set in the south with tons of family angst. One of those can't put down books!
The second one, which we are almost through, is "Down River". Although the reviews for this one said it was even better than the other, neither one of us agrees with that. Oh, it's good (we like mysteries), but not a 'can't put down' book. It's very well written (except for a few OCR glitches). Mr. Hart has quite a talent stringing words together and painting pictures.

Oh, another one came to mind - "Mudbound" by Hilary Jordan.
Family struggles in Mississippi after WW2 - men returning from war, etc.
(It is actually a lot better than I make it sound! Good story and writing!

Give them a try. Hope you like them.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #27
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Might be late to the party, but my wife and I both enjoy the Hollows series by Kim Harrison.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendation, wife