Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
vitalis
vitalis began at the beginning.

Device: none
FAQ

PocketBook FAQs:

1.Which E-Books formats are supported by PocketBooks?
PDF, RTF, FB2, FB2.ZIP, TXT, HTML, DJVU, CHM, PRC, EPUB with or without DRM, DOC, TCR.

2.Which music formats are supported by PocketBooks 301 and 302?
MP3 format

3.How many books can I store in my PocketBook?
You can use either internal memory or SD card to store your e-books

The internal fixed memory is 512 Mb, it can store about 2000 standard books.

You can expand your storage capacity with SD-memory cards, up to 32 Gb (it’s about 150.000 standard E-books).

4.Can I read my PocketBook in the dark?

PocketBook is similar to the regular paper book, so the answer would be – no, you can’t read Pocket book in the dark; its display is not backlit. Just like a plain paper, PocketBook’s E Ink® display uses ambient light to enlighten the reading surface. On the other hand, you can read your PocketBook in full sunlight which is not the case for standard LCD displays.

5.Can I read PocketBook for a long time?

Yes. Just like plain paper, you can read your PocketBook from nearly any angle, it doesn't flicker or glare. It’s E-Ink® display has a paper-like high contrast and resolution, so you can read it in a wide range of lighting conditions, including direct sunlight. There’s no eyestrain and it definitely gives you the experience of reading from plain paper.

6.Can visually challenged readers use PocketBook?
Yes. The font size can be increased any time, so visually challenged readers can comfortably read PocketBooks.

7.How to install a new font on PocketBook?
After your PocketBook 301 is connected to your computer via the USB-cable, copy any TrueType font to the ‘system/font’ folder of PocketBooks' internal memory.

8.Can I istall additional software on my PocketBook?
It is possible to install some Pocketbook applications, which can be found at http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml

9.What happens when the batteries are completely discharged?
Data on your PocketBook is kept in internal memory or SD card, so nothing happens with it.

10.Is there a touchscreen or do I need a stylus for PocketBook 301/360?
No. There is no touchscreen on these models of PocketBook and no stylus is needed. You can control it with only one button (though there is not only one button there). But the BP302/602 as well as 603 have it - Touchscreen and stylus

11.Can I plug my PocketBook to other devices with USB-connection (keyboard, camera, mouse...)?
All Pocketbooks can be connected to a computer (PC or Mac)
But only PB302 allows to plug a flash memory stick. Pocketbook is working on connecting other devices like Keyboards, Cameras, Cardreaders, etc.

12.How much does PocketBook 301 weigh?
PocketBook 301 weighs 6.13 ounces (174 grams)
A standard paperback book weighs about 11 ounces (300 grams)

13.Can I listen to music or audio books with my PocketBook 301?
Yes. PocketBook 301 has an MP3 player (see "Which music formats are supported by PocketBook 301?"). You can even listen to your favorite music as you read an eBook.

14.Can I browse the Internet with my PocketBook?
PB 302/602 allow you to use WiFi or Bluetooth for internet conection. You can dowlnload books from www.bookland.net. Pocketbook does not attach its devices to any of the e-book stores and we are planing to integrate many other stores into the device in nearest future. Aproximately in June 2010 Pocketbook users will be able to use a fully functioning webkit browser to surf in the internet. (PB302 has now a Test internet browser)

15.Can I read books in other languages (Russian, Chinese, Hebrew, Greek, …)?
Yes. For books in Chinese or other languages with extended character-set, you will need to install your own font on PocketBook to decode them (doesn’t realate to PDF files). Please check "How to install a new font on PocketBook?".

16.How can I connect my PocketBook with my computer?
All you need is to plug your PocketBook to your computer (PC or Mac) with the USB-cable. PocketBook can be seen as an external hard drive(s) (two drives, in case you have a SD-memory card in it). Now you can drag-and-drop your books and music to your PocketBook.

17.Can I read several books at the same time?
Yes. You can read several books in different formats at the same time, switching from one to another. (Isn't it WOW?)

18.What types of memory cards can be used with my PocketBook?
PocketBook 301 has a SD (Secure Digital) card slot that uses Standard SD memory cards. Pocketbooks 360/302/602/603 have micro SD/micro SD HC Card slots

19.How can I charge my PocketBook?
PocketBooks have Lithium Polymer batteries. You can change the battery as needed. Only the batteries sold by PocketBook are accepted for PocketBook readers
The battery is usually charged by connecting your PocketBook to your computer via USB connector. Also you can recharge your battery directly with the USB charger.

20.What is the dpi resolution of PocketBook’s display?
The E-Ink® display has a 166 dpi resolution. The Pocketbook 360 has even 200dpi (dots per inch). For comparison, the resolution of a LCD screen of a standard computer is in the range between 70 to 100 dpi.

Last edited by vitalis; 04-15-2010 at 04:22 AM.
vitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Thanks, Vitalis...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
celemark
Enthusiast
celemark doesn't littercelemark doesn't litter

Device: EBookwise-1150, PocketBook 360, Kindle 3 SO 3G, PocketBook Touch Lux 5
You might want to change number 8:
Can I istall additional software on my PocketBook?

Not sure about the 301, but there are some applications available at the PocketBook Free site that will run on the 360. It's also possible to install an updated version of FBReader.
celemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
vitalis
vitalis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by celemark View Post
You might want to change number 8:
Can I istall additional software on my PocketBook?

Not sure about the 301, but there are some applications available at the PocketBook Free site that will run on the 360. It's also possible to install an updated version of FBReader.
Thanks, you're right, already changed. I just meant, that one cannot install any aplication on pocketbook, using it as a pocket PC or so. It has a Linux system, more and more apps will be added soon.
vitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
This is great Shouldn't number 18 be micro SD card, though? Maybe also mention that you can use micro SDHC cards, too.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
crangirl
Connoisseur
crangirl doesn't littercrangirl doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
I saw this in a review of the Pocketbook 360:
"The eReader is equipped with 4MB of RAM expandable to 32GB. The PocketBook 360 comes with 512MB internal memory which can be supported a microSD slot up to 2 GB".

So can you just use a SDcard with max. 2 GB?
Or is this a mistake?

(What's the 32GB?)

Last edited by crangirl; 05-31-2010 at 07:31 AM.
crangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict

I'm not sure where you got that from, but from memory some people are using 8 and 16GB cards. I'm using a 4GB micro SDHC card at the moment and I doubt I'll ever fill it. I've got heaps of books and HTML files on mine and still have way more space than I'll ever need.

When asking about the 32, I think you've gotten your units mixed up. In your second sentence you've said 4MB of RAM expandable to 32GB, that should read 32MB, I think.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
crangirl
Connoisseur

I got it from this site:
http://portable-ebook-reader.net/rev...60-review/419/
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangirl View Post
That is one confused review.
(It seems to think Pocketbook Global is somehow related to the old-time Pocket Books publisher.)

It seems to be confusing RAM (not expandable) with Flash storage, too.

It states that the PB360 comes with 4MB expandable to 32GB and then contradicts itself by saying it has 512MB storage (true) expandable to 2GB via MicroSD (false).

The proper satement would be that it comes with 512MB of storage space expandable via microSDHC to at least 16GB. (Not sure about 32GB cards but if 16GB cards work, 32 should also.)

BTW, if you're looking for a detailed overview of the baseline PB360, this is still the gold standard review:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-31-2010 at 09:09 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
crangirl
Connoisseur

Thnx for the info!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
I think this thread should be marked as sticky
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The proper satement would be that it comes with 512MB of storage space expandable via microSDHC to at least 16GB. (Not sure about 32GB cards but if 16GB cards work, 32 should also.)
PocketBook 360 comes with 64 MB operative memory and 512 MB fixed memory
(user-accessible 466 MB). The device supports MicroSD and microSDHC cards up to 32 GB.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #13
crangirl
Connoisseur

Ok, I'm glad I've asked.

I couldn't even find it in the user manual I downloaded.

And there are more sites with information that isn't correct.

It would be a shame to buy a microSD card and to find out it doesn't work

BTW: Is it better to but a microSD or microSDHC? And does it matter which brand/company?
I'm using Ubuntu.

I've been reading a lot on these forums, but the information can be quite overwhelming ..

Last edited by crangirl; 06-01-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
IndecisiveMe
Addict

From a lot of the posts on the Pocketbook forum here, there are many problems with Sandisk cards for some reason. I have a Kingston 4GB micro SDHC card and I haven't had a problem with it.

From my understanding SDHC cards are available in bigger sizes. I doubt I'll ever use all 4GB of mine, so keep that in mind before you go and get a really huge card. Also, some cards are faster than others, the higher the "class" number the faster they are.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #15
crangirl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
From a lot of the posts on the Pocketbook forum here, there are many problems with Sandisk cards for some reason. I have a Kingston 4GB micro SDHC card and I haven't had a problem with it.
Oh, I see.. I wanted to buy a Sandisk, but I'll be looking for a Kingston now.