Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Perfect for comics. I'd buy it provided the resolution is absurdly high and it wasn't a fantastic jump in price.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I think that these large tablets (12" and beyond) are a niche market, for most people even 10" is too large and the 7-8" range seem to be the sweet spot. Maybe 12"+ will have a place in the business sector, but I hardly see them hitting it with consumers, we're seeing a shift towards smaller tablets already.
I'm still trying to figure out what niche a 9.7" tablet is for.

12.9" is much closer to the size of an actual magazine, or textbook, or sheet music.

Last edited by toronado; 07-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Too large for an iOS device
Why?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I would LOVE a 13" iPad! Would be easier to work in a DAW and more space to draw in.
Yeah, that would be really cool.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Darn it! I just bought a new iPad, the original was wearing out. If I had known this, I would have waited.
Could be a long wait. This is only a rumor at present with a projected 2014 release date - could be December 2014 or later.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Will it be retina?

(A lot of pixels)
If this maxi comes out, the screen will most likely have the same res as the existing ipad, i.e 2048x1536. For a 13", that's 196dpi, which hardly qualifies as retina.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I'd love one. 10" is too small for magazines.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Why?
Because that size is most useful for real computing, and iOS is not a full OS. If you're going to carry something around that large, it may as well be a full PC. The usefulness of a screen that size with an OS that can't multitask is pretty limited. As I said, I'd rather have something like the Lenovo Yoga in that size.

Of course I didn't see the point of the original iPad either, so what do I know.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Because that size is most useful for real computing, and iOS is not a full OS. If you're going to carry something around that large, it may as well be a full PC. The usefulness of a screen that size with an OS that can't multitask is pretty limited. As I said, I'd rather have something like the Lenovo Yoga in that size.

Of course I didn't see the point of the original iPad either, so what do I know.
What do you consider a "full OS"?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
What do you consider a "full OS"?
Multitasking, file management, multiple user profiles, etc.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

12.9 inches is still a bit small for me. I really want 14 inches.

I have been looking for a device for reading sheet music for ages. Ideally I want an e-ink screen, but a high res backlit screen may have to suffice, as I have waited many years as it is. I went so far as to buy the Sony tap20, but windows 8 was a total failure so I returned it. I have high hopes for the large e-ink reader that Sony has previewed.

Maybe 2014 will be the year.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Not large enough actually.
Looking for something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	108530  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #28
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I predict a retail price of at least $1,200 US.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Looking for something like this?
I was just about to try and find a "pear pad" image from one of the Nick shows, but you beat me to it.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
12.9 inches is still a bit small for me. I really want 14 inches.

I have been looking for a device for reading sheet music for ages. Ideally I want an e-ink screen, but a high res backlit screen may have to suffice, as I have waited many years as it is. I went so far as to buy the Sony tap20, but windows 8 was a total failure so I returned it. I have high hopes for the large e-ink reader that Sony has previewed.

Maybe 2014 will be the year.
I agree. Something in the 14" - 17" range with a stylus so that you can put markings in the music is what I want. It wouldn't even need to have backlighting or frontlighting because I could put it on a music stand with a stand light.

I know people who use the current 9.7" iPad for music, and I'm just thinking this 12.9" iPad would be an improvement.