Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Paperwhite Battery Meter Error

I notice that my first complete cycle of my battery had the meter gradually drop to near zero over 7 days when the PW Light level dropped from 22 to zero suddenly at which point I recharged.

The second cycle ending today lasted 8 days but the battery meter was showing about 60% still remaining. Then, overnight, it apparently dropped to zero since my screen showed a large picture of the battery at zero and a picture of requiring the unit to be connected to the power.

Since it had lasted 8 days, the battery, itself, lasted in the 2nd cycle a comparable time length to the first cycle.

Thus, the meter did not operate properly.

With my Kindle Fire 1st Generation I also noticed a battery meter drop to zero from about 40% in just 60 minutes 5 weeks after I first started using it.

My first Kindle Fire 1st Gen unit could not start after an overnight full charge and several attempted resets. It had to be replaced by a 2nd unit from CS.

It looks like the battery meter was inaccurate for both units when first starting to use them. Hopefully, this won't happen again for the Paperwhite and I will be able to start it up after a full charge. Otherwise, a replacement may be necessary.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

We've told you before that you should NEVER allow a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery to completely discharge. Doing so can cause physical damage inside the battery and might result in the battery being unable to recharge. To be safe, I would not discharge a Lithium battery below 20%.
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Recharge level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We've told you before that you should NEVER allow a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery to completely discharge. Doing so can cause physical damage inside the battery and might result in the battery being unable to recharge. To be safe, I would not discharge a Lithium battery below 20%.
My 2nd Kindle Fire 1st Gen has been used down to 15% and many times down to 10%. There I have the GSam Battery Monitor in the top right corner giving me the exact percentage all the time. In addition, it generates a warning on my screen at the 10% level in addition to the warning generated by the Fire at the 15% level.

The GSam android program shows that I usually get about 5 hours and 15 minutes at the 15% level (sometimes less if I'm using their web browser).

Unfortunately, the Paperwhite has no equivalent meter. However, I've set up a spreadsheet to chart my reading times by sessions and cumulative for the Paperwhite. The Paperwhite also does not have a warning indicator like the Kindle Kbd WiFi 3rd Gen and the Fire 1st Gen.

I'll let this next battery cycle go until empty and then will have an accurate cumulative reading time for the PW battery. After that I'll charge at an accurate 15% level.

Since I only read at home and my PC is always on, it will be a simple task to chart the reading time on the PC in an Excel spreadsheet.

Hopefully, in time someone will introduce an active content exact percent battery meter for the PW. The graphic meter now on the PW is very INEXACT as was proven from my last involuntary shutdown.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Just charge the Kindle when it tells you to. All Kindles have a please charge message that pop ups when you're reading, do not wait for it to turn off on you and give the battery is dead message.

I charge my eInk Kindle when it tells me to. I charge the Kindle Fire around 15% to 25% percent. It's really hard to get the Fire down to 15%. I get 10 to 12 hours of battery life on my KF, 1 month and 1/2 on the K3 and two weeks on the K4s.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard

No signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Just charge the Kindle when it tells you to. All Kindles have a please charge message that pop ups when you're reading, do not wait for it to turn off on you and give the battery is dead message.

I charge my eInk Kindle when it tells me to. I charge the Kindle Fire around 15% to 25% percent. It's really hard to get the Fire down to 15%. I get 10 to 12 hours of battery life on my KF, 1 month and 1/2 on the K3 and two weeks on the K4s.
The Paperwhite issued no similar signal for both of my cycles. That is different in that way from the Kindle Kbd WiFi and the Fire.

Its possible that the last screen showing a large discharged battery and a wire to be connected to a current was the signal. If that is the situation, then it never really discharges completely. It just shows that screen at 15% and it won't let one use it until a charge is done.

By the way, my GSam Battery Monitor shows I am only getting about 5 hours and 15 minutes for my Fire until the 15% warning. Of course, I leave WiFi on all the time. You may be getting double my time by leaving WiFi off.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Paperwhite issued no signal for both of my cycles. That is different in that way from the Kindle Kbd WiFi and the Fire.
It wont if the battery goes dead while in sleep mode. Watch battery meter. When the battery needs charge it should have a exclamation point in the middle.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

Meter not accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It wont if the battery goes dead while in sleep mode. Watch battery meter. When the battery needs charge it should have a exclamation point in the middle.
My meter showed about 50% the night before it dropped to that screen showing the large empty battery and the wire leading to a current on the second cycle.

Obviously the METER is not accurate.

During the first cycle the meter did drop to empty before I charged it. There was no exclamation point shown. The large battery empty screen did not show on the first cycle.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
My meter showed about 50% the night before it dropped to that screen showing the large empty battery and the wire leading to a current on the second cycle.

During the first cycle the meter did drop to empty before I charged it. There was no exclamation point shown. The large battery empty screen did not show on the first cycle.
I've had the happen before on the K3. WiFi was the culprit. Some have had the PW waking up on them. This could be the problem specially if you leave the light on 22.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Nope, not necessarily the correct conclusion. Except from a complicated discussion what the battery meter really shows and a lot of physical theory about the workings of a battery, there might be easy explanations for what happened.

I offer an easy one: some process on the Kindle went racy, consuming CPU power, eating your battery until the battery management shuts it down. That's a rather common case and I am really pleased with the firmware quality in that regard. However, firmware will always have bugs in some corner cases.

This aside, most modern gadgets have to learn to know their battery. I.e. they need some more cycles to give really good estimates on the amount of available power left. This is in most cases done by the dedicated battery management hardware (which internally of course uses "software") which keeps track internally of some parameters and reporting a "remaining capacity" and a "current maximum capacity" to the firmware.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard

Learning curve for meter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
This aside, most modern gadgets have to learn to know their battery. I.e. they need some more cycles to give really good estimates on the amount of available power left. This is in most cases done by the dedicated battery management hardware (which internally of course uses "software") which keeps track internally of some parameters and reporting a "remaining capacity" and a "current maximum capacity" to the firmware.
That sounds logical. My meter may be "learning" the battery cycle. I'm also keeping that spreadsheet now on my usage. When the displayed meter matches the numbers shown on the sheet, then the I'll be able to trust the meter.

So far today, I've read for exactly 55 minutes and the meter has not budged at all. We shall see how it all works over the next several weeks.

Finally, the screen showing the large discharged battery and the wire to the power may be the 15% signal on the PW. There may be no other signals. With the Kbd WiFi and the Fire, when the battery was totally discharged, the screens went blank. The PW works differently, apparently.

I leave WiFi on all the time for all three of my Kindles and, as a consequence, may get less battery time than others who leave WiFi off. I need it on since I constantly switch between them and need constant automatic syncing.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, it's unlikely you'll ever get a strictly linear behaviour over time. WiFi is a major point: Wifi power management might have corner cases depending on usage not even related to the Kindle device.

Then there's document indexing, synchronization of user data to the corresponding Amazon account, background update downloading, background document downloading etc. etc. - well, even embedded fonts might be different in their needs for computation power (unlikely that this will really matter, but I wanted to illustrate the point). After all, what the meter will give you is a (still derived from other data, thus a few charge tries to teach the logic) estimation on the electrical charge within the battery.

This is not to say that the data you're writing down is meaningless. But always be careful to state a rule from singular evidence.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
This is not to say that the data you're writing down is meaningless. But always be careful to state a rule from singular evidence.
Its true that my experience may be ONLY for my specific unit. From all the screen complaints I've seen in this Forum, the units coming off the production lines may have widely varying performance both in screen appearance, battery usage and battery meter accuracy.

The most accurate measure will be my spreadsheet numbers and even they will only apply to my individual unit. Many leave WiFi off all the time and I leave WiFi on all the time. I only read Kindle eBooks on history with large numbers of pages. Others may read Caliber modified eBooks of all kinds of categories and be using active content and the internet as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...n-battery2.htm

Quote:
Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes. And if the voltage of a Lithium cell falls below 1.5v and stays there too long a chemical reaction can occur wherein copper shunts form within the cell. These copper shunts can cause short circuiting if the cell is recharged or restored, which can result in overheating and even fire. These ain't your grandpa's batteries! They need to be treated considerably different than the old nickel based batteries.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

It appears the Paperwhite can NOT ever be taken down to zero charge. The occurrance of that screen showing a large battery icon discharged and a wire leading to a current icon is probably way above the zero level. That screen also prevents further use until charged. That screen was never present in the Kbd or Fire.

If the battery had really gone to zero, the screen would have gone totally blank as had happened with the Kindle Kbd WiFi once and the Kindle Fire 7" 1st Gen twice.

The problem with my PW unit is the battery METER still does not reflect usage. I've been reading now in this cycle 2 hours and 26 minutes and the meter still shows almost full. Thus, it is useless for determining at what level the battery is at unless it "learns" how to measure battery energy over time.

My work around is to just keep reading and recording time usage until the warning screen appears. Then I can simply just charge one hour before it happens in the future until the meter starts working properly at some point.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-22-2012 at 03:59 PM.