Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #181
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
Bogart, Mary Astor, and the wonderful Peter Lorre, not stellar! Mind you, I suppose you are spoiled by Italian actors.
Wait. Take me at the letter. Mary Astor is,was a very sexy and charming lady, but to take her as star of the caliber of Bogart, that's a little too much. Patricia O'Neal, years later just overstarred her, and Sarandon ... more or less in that department, pale and modest but great ...lay me down Moses!
The great Peter Lorre was a fantastic characteristic.

With Bogart nobody could shadow him, some time.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #182
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
This guy? Attachment 56013he is a very fine actor in the right age bracket.
Forgive my ignorance, but who is that, and what do you consider the right age bracket? I would want someone around their mid or early 30s in the hopes that they could be Mason for years to come. I would also like to see the movies done as a period pieces, set in the world of the novels when they were written.

EDIT: I know this is off-topic. Should I start a Perry Mason movie thread?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-02-2010 at 11:38 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #183
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Tell me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the Perry Mason novels of the 50s were much like the TV show; and nothing like the novels of the 30s, a couple of which I have read (IIRC, Velvet Claw and Howling Dog).
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #184
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the Perry Mason novels of the 50s were much like the TV show; and nothing like the novels of the 30s, a couple of which I have read (IIRC, Velvet Claw and Howling Dog).
You're not wrong. That's why I would like to see the movies as period pieces, starting with those early novels, in which Mason was much more prone to adopt -- shall I say -- creative tactics in his practice of law. Burr was great, but I'm sure the powers that were would never have allowed him to do some of the things that Mason did in those early books! Gardner caught hell from his fellow lawyers for it! The early Mason was not averse to bending laws to the breaking point and even beyond to help his clients. Most lawyers don't carry a set of skeleton keys with them!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-02-2010 at 11:48 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #185
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but who is that, and what do you consider the right age bracket? I would want someone around their mid or early 30s in the hopes that they could be Mason for years to come. I would also like to see the movies done as a period pieces, set in the world of the novels when they were written.

EDIT: I know this is off-topic. Should I start a Perry Mason movie thread?
He is Tim Robbin, a fine actor. I picked that photo that shows how he looks dressed up for court.

About the age of Perry Mason (in thestories, not so much in the beautiful series), young enough to be highly energetic, old enough to know enough and a little more.

Right. Expected time of arrival 120. But why put limits

The late 50's. Absolutely, that is a real must, when a Martini was a Martini, and a car an automobile. I am with you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #186
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Just finished this month's book. Quite happy to be reunited with my old friend Marlowe. Can't wait to talk about it with you guys!
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote