Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Inner
Inner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Exclamation Buy kindle 2 now, or wait for kindle 3

Hello guys,
I bet this question is kind of over abused but oh well, I hope you bear with me.
First of all, I never have owned a ebook reader and I got into the ebook craze from all the media coverage nook gotten. I did preorder a nook, but as of this week after comparing spec to spec it looks like a refurb kindle 2 is much better buy. I actually got my hands on the kindle 2 that my friend owns, I was very impressed. The things that made me change my mind is,

kindle 2 is really thin
browser. slow but being able to access wiki or google anywhere with me is amazing.
long battery life
text2speech. I was quite impressed by it, I thought it was alot worse.

Here is the question. Just get the cheaper refurb kindle 2 or wait for the upcoming kindle 3? I'm guessing its going to come out around march 2010? Since my winter break from college is coming up real soon, I would love to get the kindle 2 and enjoy it. The only factor I'm afraid of is that the kindle 3 might get released in a couple months with a similar price to nook in order to compete and I would get .. well screwed.
Inner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Buy the Kindle 2. Should there be a Kindle 3 in the next 6 months or so, you can always sell it to help pay for the new Kindle. If there is no new Kindle in that time, you'll still have a Kindle to read.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There definitely won't be a Kindle 3 until February, because new Kindle 2's bought today can be returned until the end of January.

There probably will be a Kindle 3 in the first half of 2010, but there have been no indications of what it will be like. I agree with daffy4u that there is little downside to buying today, particularly if you get a referb which can likely be resold for about what you paid for it. All your Kindle ebooks can be transferred to a new Kindle if you buy one later.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Inner

I think I'll do that, if I really want to upgrade later I could resell it. Also if any news leaks out before the end of my return date, I could send it back. The other thing to realize I guess, is that I don't think there is going to be any new radical changes going to happen i.e. color screens so I'd rather keep the kindle 2 then. Thank you for the advice. Sometimes a little is enough to convince.

Last edited by Inner; 11-30-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Just a thought - isn't the Kindle "3" the DX? Just because they dropped the number strategy in the name?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
Just get the cheaper refurb kindle 2 or wait for the upcoming kindle 3? I'm guessing its going to come out around march 2010?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There probably will be a Kindle 3 in the first half of 2010, but there have been no indications of what it will be like.

"I'm guess" and "Probably will be"....

Um, what are you two basing this speculation on?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This actually occurred to me after my original post, but the upgrade for organization (Will it be folders??) could well be driven in part by a Kindle 3 with much more internal memory (or a SDHC slot). The firmware update is due in the 1st half of next year.

Another reason is that all Amazon's major competitors will have refreshed their devices since the Kindle 2 came out. It will also be possible to produce a new device for significantly less than the Kindle 2 and/or add new features for the same cost (e.g. because of processors with integrated EInk controllers).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Inner

Well, I went ahead and ordered. I'm getting tired of myself saying "what if.."
Only changes I would care about in a newer kindle is a bigger screen within the same size of the device. The rest, like sd slots, folders etc is nice but not something I would upgrade for. You can't beat the current price either. I spent only $219 where on the nook it was over $280.

daffy4u: Those links in your sig look very handy, thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
daffy4u: Those links in your sig look very handy, thanks.
I'm glad you think they're useful. Congratulations on your new pruchase!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My thought as well. What Kindle 3? Have there been actual indications of such a device, or are we just making it up?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote