Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle2, pdf and page numbers

I might purchase a kindle for my research project and therefore I need to be aware of the original page number when I read.

When you convert a pdf to get in onto the kindle, what happens with the page number? Is there an easy way to keep the original one?

Thanks a lot
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Ebooks don't have consistent page numbers because you can change the font size. It wouldn't matter anyway; an ebook is a different version just like a paperback page number is different from a hardback.

You should talk to your teacher or professor about this and tell them you need to cite via location number instead (or constantly refer back to your PDF copy).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
pimpoum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Ebooks don't have consistent page numbers because you can change the font size. It wouldn't matter anyway; an ebook is a different version just like a paperback page number is different from a hardback.
I won't work from actual ebooks but from scanned hardbacks (by myself). the page number does matter.

Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpoum View Post
I won't work from actual ebooks but from scanned hardbacks (by myself). the page number does matter.

Any ideas?
I would pass on the Kindle if PDF viewing is important to you. Or any eInk reader for that matter. You'd be better off saving your money for a tablet PC if you want to view PDFs, or a large multi-format printer since that's what PDFs were designed for -- printing not viewing.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with Clarknova. Beyond that, if you're literally *scanning* the hardbacks as you say, then the page numbers from each page of the PDF will be there in the ebook, along with headers, footers, etc.
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
pimpoum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I agree with Clarknova. Beyond that, if you're literally *scanning* the hardbacks as you say, then the page numbers from each page of the PDF will be there in the ebook, along with headers, footers, etc.
yeah I know, but what happens to the header/footer when you reformat a pdf?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

It depends on what program you're using to convert to MOBI, but Calibre is pretty primative; all the header and footer and pagenumbers will get mixed in along with the text of your hardbacks.

Also, Calibre doesn't handle supporting multi-column PDFs yet.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you turn your scans into a PDF, take a look at the thread on Savory. It's a Kindle 2 hack that allows PDF files to be read on the K2 without losing their formatting (your page numbers will still be there). There is some zoom and rotation capability with this hack.

There is also PDFRead, which is software to turn your PDF into a series of images which become a "book" for your Kindle. There is no zoom but you can have the software rotate all the pages or even split them in half so that the font is larger.

Please see these threads for more information and image samples:

Savory
PDFRead
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpoum View Post
I might purchase a kindle for my research project and therefore I need to be aware of the original page number when I read.

When you convert a pdf to get in onto the kindle, what happens with the page number? Is there an easy way to keep the original one?

Thanks a lot
PDFs can be converted to "work" on the Kindle, but if you've not bought the unit yet, you're probably better off using a different eBook reader. The Sony (505/700) has much better PDF support, the iRex Digital Reader 1000 probably the best PDF support (because of the screen size). Not sure why Amazon doesn't provide better PDF support, the Linux distros have it, not a big deal to port, Adobe would probably be more than happy to provide a native Acrobat Reader/Digital Editions for Kindle, I cannot imagine it make all that much difference to Amazon as long as they sell the eBook to you (but maybe I just answered my own question, others might sell it to you instead). Sure would be helpful in situations like yours, or any serious technical book, really (or book reader clubs, or ....).
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote