Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your given name?
I like it. 13 54.17%
I dislike it. 3 12.50%
Meh. 8 33.33%
Who cares? 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What's in a name? A rose by any other name...

I got a PM here today from someone with a beautiful first name, which made me reflect, yet again, that I dislike my own pedestrian first name. I was named after an aunt for whom it was a nickname for a more regal first name, but my parents did me wrong and gave me the nick as my name. Adding insult to injury, my name is an age-marker; no baby girls today are named issy, so to speak.

So what say you? Do you like, dislike, maintain indifference to how you're called?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Growing up in NJ in the 1950s I was not only the only Kevin in the neighborhood -- some of my friends refused to believe it was a "real" first name.

In the 70s I did a job near Boston, and there were six other Kevins just on my shift.

Always liked it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Hmmm, 50/50 at this point. Kind of like the story of my life, there was a time I didn't like to be a Wayne but as I grew older I came to like it.

That's not to say there aren't other names that I'd prefer more, but not enough to assume an alias.

Unless of course it could be Wodin!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
When I was a child, I was dreaming of having a different name. Now, I love it even though I always have to spell it to make sure it's written (and understood) properly and I have to tell people to use my full name, not to shorten it.
Pretty much all the time, the person I'm talking to tells me it's the first time they've heard that name or they know someone who knows someone who knows someone with the same name. It's just not a common one
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I've got one of those stupid homonyms that have both a girl's name and a boy's name version. It 's been nothing but a name spelling farce my entire life even when people seem to be oblivious to the girl's spelling.

Aron, Arron, Erin..,

I'm lucky to get the name spelled correctly after spelling it out.

Aaron isn't a bad name, just annoying.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
it was just recently that I finally realized my middle name isn't "frigging"...
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
it was just recently that I finally realized my middle name isn't "frigging"...

My name, which is Judith, is also an age marker, but I don't really mind it much since it has a long respectable history. However, I've always been envious of my ancestor Belle Zora Covington's name and so I claimed it for pretty much all on-line activity. If I had to be given a family name, I wish my parents had looked a little further up the family tree. Also, Belle Zora had such delightfully handsome men in her life (see avatar - one is wearing his Confederate uniform. The other man's suit appears to be Union, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking. The photo is circa 1868).
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Didja ever wonder why nobody smiles in 19th century photos? I think it's because the exposures were so long that they'd break their faces if they smiled.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The exposure time could be 15 minutes or more. I'm surprised that they were not all glassy-eyed.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

I so disliked my given names, which also included an illustrious ancestor's

surname, that I had them legally changed.

Problem solved, and I was much happier.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I just wish people would stop singing my name. Otherwise I'm fine with it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I just wish people would stop singing my name. Otherwise I'm fine with it.

Maybe it's an American thing, but why would people sing your name?

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
MissMaple
MissMaple began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I love my name..For my first name I was named after the wife of Rembrandt, an awesome Dutch painter, and for my middle name I was named after a book.. one of the oldest (surving) written poems in Dutch. (14th century)
My parents knew what they were doing
MissMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I love my first name ( Valorie ). It routinely gets shortened of course which I do not mind. I have only know 2 people who could pronounce my name properly ( to my ears )...unfortunately I am not one of them.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote