Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
melodyn
melodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Brand new Kobo Glo and already it's nothing but trouble

Hi I've tried to look for the problems I have with my brand new Kobo Glo and didn't find similar problems and solutions.

As I was setting up the Kobo Glo, I connected to my Macbook Pro and got the Kobo Desktop software...it's all fine, until I tried to eject it.

The screen got stuck on "Connected and Charged" and nothing happen (my USB cable is still connected to the computer). After 10-15 minute of nothing, I unplug the cable and it's still the same.

I tried Basic reset, nothing.
I tried the paperclip reset, nothing.
The slide button doesn't do anything.

I can unfroze the freeze screen by reconnecting the USB cable to my Macbook, but then the device won't show up in the Finder.

I did a factory reset, and wanting to start all over again. I tried to setup with Wifi this time. I type in the correct network password...hit "join", the screen froze...again. (and all the basic reset, paperclip reset, slide button power on and off are unresponsive).

So I have to connect it to my laptop again with the USB to 'awake" it. So that lead me back to square one...as long as I eject and unplug the device the screen froze (and cannot reset it in every possible way).

I'm at a lost. The device is brand new and this is my first experience with Kobo, and I'm very frustrating and shocked by how much 'fail' is every way it is. Does anyone encounter this problem with their new Kobo? How do you solve it? Is that how Kobo's quality generally is do I just get a lemon due to bad luck? I'm wondering if I should bother with replacement at all (major disappointment). Thanks in advance for any insights.
melodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyn View Post
Hi I've tried to look for the problems I have with my brand new Kobo Glo and didn't find similar problems and solutions.

As I was setting up the Kobo Glo, I connected to my Macbook Pro and got the Kobo Desktop software...it's all fine, until I tried to eject it.

The screen got stuck on "Connected and Charged" and nothing happen (my USB cable is still connected to the computer). After 10-15 minute of nothing, I unplug the cable and it's still the same.
After you eject, you have to unplug it, and then wait a few minutes. WAIT. It will finish it's processing if you wait.

Quote:
I did a factory reset, and wanting to start all over again. I tried to setup with Wifi this time. I type in the correct network password...hit "join", the screen froze...again. (and all the basic reset, paperclip reset, slide button power on and off are unresponsive).

So I have to connect it to my laptop again with the USB to 'awake" it. So that lead me back to square one...as long as I eject and unplug the device the screen froze (and cannot reset it in every possible way).

I'm at a lost. The device is brand new and this is my first experience with Kobo, and I'm very frustrating and shocked by how much 'fail' is every way it is. Does anyone encounter this problem with their new Kobo? How do you solve it? Is that how Kobo's quality generally is do I just get a lemon due to bad luck? I'm wondering if I should bother with replacement at all (major disappointment). Thanks in advance for any insights.
I think you were excited and impatient and did WAY too much. Eject, UNPLUG, and WAIT. If you want to try to wake it up, don't plug it back into your computer. Plug it into a wall outlet.

I am sure the experts here will have more to say, this is just my advice.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As booklover6 said, you need to disconnect the cable and wait a little bit for the device to start up again. Generally, this is less than a minute. Sometimes it takes longer. If, after five minutes, the "Connected and charging" screen is still displayed, I hit the power button. Sometimes just putting it to sleep and waking it will trigger the start up. Occasionally, I have to turn it off completely and the power on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
"Connected and charged" means it's time to un-plug it. But be sure to remove it safely (I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know how it's worded). If you don't, you may corrupt the database. In that case, you would have to start again from the very beginning.

In a few words:
- wait for "connected and charged"
- remove safely
- give it some time to process all the new books you put into it
- time to read
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Since it's the first time he's connected it and that it most likely also updated the firmware, having had problems myself with updates doing exactly what he describes, it's possible the update just didn't decompress and install properly.

If that's the case, check out this thread starting at Post #38 and see if the instructions there don't get your Glo updated. It's what worked for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought of a firmware update that went wrong at first, but then there wouldn't be "connected and charged" displayed on the screen, would it?
However, I've never done an update via computer
Old 07-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
melodyn
melodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipsemelodyn can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks for everybody's replies. Since I did the factory reset last night, I'm trying it fresh again. I'm doing the WIFI Setup right now. First it asked me to setup Date & Time, then connect to a network. Once I typed in my password and hit "Join", it's the same again: the screen froze. I've been waiting for 15 minutes and still there's no reaction. Is that normal?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for everybody's replies. Since I did the factory reset last night, I'm trying it fresh again. I'm doing the WIFI Setup right now. First it asked me to setup Date & Time, then connect to a network. Once I typed in my password and hit "Join", it's the same again: the screen froze. I've been waiting for 15 minutes and still there's no reaction. Is that normal?
I think the device is updating. It can take a little while (maybe 20 ~ 30 minutes at the most).
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I would say that's not normal and basedon what you've already tried it sounds like you got a bad unit. I'd exchange it if possible. Not a common thing but it does happen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Before returning it, I'd double check that everything is correct to log onto your network. One thing often overlooked is if you ever set up a whitelist for your router and then forgot about it, your wifi will just keep denying the connection and possibly not give you any message about it either (at least that's what it did to me, no message, nothing). You'll have to be sure and add the new reader to the whitelist, you can get the MAC address off the reader from Settings, Device Information. Or at least disable the whitelist for a few minutes to try and log on again.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Ah yes, the latest OP update triggered the same answer in me! I've had that sort of reaction when I've got the Wifi password wrong. Some other network issue might cause it also. Best test might be to connect to a complete open network, either by briefly opening the home one, or trying another network altogether.

Kobo doesn't always have the best error handling.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
melodyn

Sigh I tried couple more times (the network password is correct btw) but it just seems like nothing works but freezing. Wifi setup won't work (freezes the second I hit "Join"), Computer setup won't work (freezes the second I eject and unplug from the laptop)...there's just no way around it.

I found an old thread where some users has the exact same problem as me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196432
The OP eventually had to return and exchange hers. I can't believe it's been one year since the debut and they still haven't identify the problem and kept on shipping these defective ones to the customers.

I came across a lot of threads on how horrible their customer server is. Unfortunately for me I live in the US and and there'll be a lot of trouble to get a return (or exchange if I'm lucky). :/ I love Kobo's design and interface so much, what a pity how buggy the reader is.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
There is something else you could try.

1) Do a factory reset
2) Connect the kobo and choose the Computer setup option to get usb access to the kobo.
3) Use the "Registration Bypassing"
4) Do an manual update using "Direct Links to Kobo Touch Firmware"

This thread has links to explanations on how to do step 3-4.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217160
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Computer setup won't work (freezes the second I eject and unplug from the laptop)...
But what exactly is happening before you remove it? Was the firmware update successful? Were you able to load some books?
If I'm not mistaken, you set it up (firmware update and books) first and then it was stuck. So you did a factory reset, starting again from scratch (firmware update and books). Did I miss something?
By the way, did you create your account on the device or was it created beforehand on a computer?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
melodyn

Thanks so much ewphoenix123, I'll try your way tonight! (crossing my fingers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
But what exactly is happening before you remove it? Was the firmware update successful? Were you able to load some books?
If I'm not mistaken, you set it up (firmware update and books) first and then it was stuck. So you did a factory reset, starting again from scratch (firmware update and books). Did I miss something?
By the way, did you create your account on the device or was it created beforehand on a computer?
Yes I set it up first (firmware update and books), then it told me I'm ready to eject and when I pressed reject, it tells me "enjoy reading". The screen didn't change but stay with the same black screen with URL and setup info. I waited for awhile (10 min), I unplugged the USB cable. The screen stayed the same and it was unresponsive. I tried resetting it with sliding butter, then paperclip. Nothing.
When I re-plugged in the USB cable, the screen finally unfreeze and it saids "updating". After that's finished, it asked me if I want to connect to the computer. When I choose no, I get to access my books and the reader seems to work fine. But as soon as I unplugged it, the screen freezed (lights got killed). So i'll be back to unresponsive sliding reset, unresponsive paperclip reset. The only way to un-freeze the screen is if I unplug then plug in the USB cable to the laptop. I have it charged for hours prior so the battery should be full.

This persist after I did the factory reset.

The wifi issue is still there as well. Like I said, I'm stuck either way.

I already had an existing account when I used the Kobo app on my iPad. Could it be the problem? That's another good alternative i can try (by signing up a new account).