Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Never Ending Story Bug

Does anyone else have a problem with the Mobipocket viewer on the iLiad underestimating the page count? I was having one of those lazy Sunday morning lie-ins (lies-in?), and thought I had plenty of time to finish Robert Silverberg's "Valentine Pontifex", which was getting very exciting. The iLiad claimed there were 518 pages. But it was starting to look like the book was going to finish in something of a rush, and when I turned to page 518, a page 519 appeared behind it. I turned to page 519 and page 520 appeared. I finished the chapter, and there was a whole other chapter; in fact there were actually 532 pages!

I was late getting up.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the Mobipocket viewer on the iLiad underestimating the page count?

Yes, I have had that happen. It occurred after a dictionary lookup which became more in depth than expected (doing a dictionary lookup from a dictionary lookup, and so on), but this could be unrelated. Leaving the book and coming back put the page count back where it should have been.

Saying this, when you said you have a "Never Ending Story bug" I assumed you had reached the end of Michael Ende's book, and had been shocked by his blatant false advertising.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I had this happen aswell. About 30 pages revealed themselves on a book i was reading. One by one. That was really weird.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Page numbers seem to vary depending (and naturally I suppose) on the size of type chosen.
I like the larger print, so page numbers go up. I have also found that should I flip back a page or two the sentences at page bottom can be different to where they were previously (if that makes any sense). Obviously something to do with text flow - I'm not one of the iLiad inner wizards and I'm sure someone will have the real technical answer.
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! It's definitely a bug, though, not just an unavoidable consequence of changing text sizes, because I've been reading ebooks for about 7 years using Mobipocket, first on a Psion Revo, then a couple of Palms, and I've never had that problem before.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It's happened on every mobi file I've read on the Iliad.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There also seems to be a similar bug with the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
Fellball
Wizard
Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: K3,K4,PB360,PB360+,PB701-IQ und noch diverse andere Lesegeräte....
Sometimes there is the same bug on the PDA-Version (5.3).
I see it last night. The File is an own scan converted with Mobipocket Creator.
Fellball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I'm pretty sure it's a Mobipocket bug in general, not something specific to the iLiad (probably somewhere in the Mobipocket SDK that they supply). I've seen people mention that the same issue gets talked about on the mobipocket forums.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
Yep, I've had this happen, as montsnmags mentioned, when looking up words in the dictionary. Which seems to have two effects when you go back to the book. 1) The current page number changes 2) It does not give a correct total number of pages.
cen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
rai
Enthusiast
rai began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onxy Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a Mobipocket bug in general, not something specific to the iLiad (probably somewhere in the Mobipocket SDK that they supply). I've seen people mention that the same issue gets talked about on the mobipocket forums.
I don't think it's a Mobipocket bug, since the same thing happens to me (every single time!!!) when I read txt files on iLiad.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I don't think it's a Mobipocket bug, since the same thing happens to me (every single time!!!) when I read txt files on iLiad.
I could be wrong, but doesn't the iLiad use the Mobipocket viewer when displaying txt files?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the Mobipocket viewer on the iLiad underestimating the page count? I was having one of those lazy Sunday morning lie-ins (lies-in?), and thought I had plenty of time to finish Robert Silverberg's "Valentine Pontifex", which was getting very exciting. The iLiad claimed there were 518 pages. But it was starting to look like the book was going to finish in something of a rush, and when I turned to page 518, a page 519 appeared behind it. I turned to page 519 and page 520 appeared. I finished the chapter, and there was a whole other chapter; in fact there were actually 532 pages!

I was late getting up.
i have the same problem but the other way around. thinking wow still half way and all of a sudden it was the end.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
i have the same problem but the other way around. thinking wow still half way and all of a sudden it was the end.
Yeah, I've had that happen too recently. I had a Mobipocket book I was reading recently that said it was 120 pages (or something like that). I hit page 50, and it was the last page.

Most of the time though I've seen it under estimate. IE it says the book is 400 pages, when you hit page 400 it says it's now 401 pages, when you hit 401 it says there are 402... etc.

I wonder if it has something to do with the length of the book? What I've noticed so far is that it over estimates on really short books, and under estimates on longer books. I haven't read enough Mobipocket content yet to really know if that behaviour is consistent. Most of what I read are PDFs.