Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #391
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hmmm, I wrote him as well, but Jeff never reacted to it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #392
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm glad you followed through and got a response. Hopefully you'll get a better PW out of it, although I feel the same as you, that perfect PW's don't exist. Still, some are better than others, I hope you get a better one. Keep us posted.
I felt a little silly after I sent the email because, honestly, it's not like I spend tons of money at Amazon. There hasn't been much disposable income around here in the last few years, so it's not like I'm some important customer that they need to keep happy. So, as I said, I felt rather silly after I hit "send". I'm pleased that someone responded, though. It made me feel better about the whole thing. Hopefully something good will come of it.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #393
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I felt a little silly after I sent the email because, honestly, it's not like I spend tons of money at Amazon. There hasn't been much disposable income around here in the last few years, so it's not like I'm some important customer that they need to keep happy. So, as I said, I felt rather silly after I hit "send". I'm pleased that someone responded, though. It made me feel better about the whole thing. Hopefully something good will come of it.
You shouldn't feel silly at all. You paid good money for the PW and one expects a certain level of quality. You had ever right to complain and hopefully they will try to make it right. I really do think they have excellent customer service and try very hard to make things right. For me, it wasn't solved to my 100% satisfaction, but it wasn't for their lack of trying, I just think the PW has issues. I was willing to accept that and keep the PW I have because I really do love it overall.

It would be great if you could get a PW with less hues on it so here's hoping. Good luck.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #394
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Don't feel silly. You deserve their customer service as much as any other of their customers. I also did not buy much at Amazon, almost nothing exactly. I also hadn't even bought my Paperwhite directly from Amazon, but they still gave me a replacement and I got to keep the old one. Amazon truly is amazing and I hope you get a good Paperwhite this time.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #395
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
No reason to feel silly at all Fingers crossed they will do what they can to get you one that's ok
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #396
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Mailed Jeff Bezos?

Oh dear. Now you might get a Kindle that's filled with light from the phial of Galadriel.

That one *has* to have even lighting.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #397
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Mailed Jeff Bezos?

Oh dear. Now you might get a Kindle that's filled with light from the phial of Galadriel.

That one *has* to have even lighting.
Ha!
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #398
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey all, have been reading this forum for ages but finally getting round to posting!

I ordered a Kindle PPW from Amazon.com for me and then another for a friend (the second one coming from Japan through Tenso forwarder). Anyway it arrived, and at first I thought awesome - screen perfect and no shadows even at the bottom (its a batch 604). But then, looked at the top and right side of it - especially top (see left pic for batch 604 Japan one, 603 first PPQ on right):

Thats pretty poor QC I must say!! So have returned it and luckily from amazon.jp wasn't an issue. Replacement coming from Amazon.com but I'm worried being a replacement, it'll be a refurb and prob not batch 604 (they seem to have eliminated completely the shadows at the bottom in that batch as my first PPW is batch 603).

Ppls thoughts?
Andrew
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #399
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have to say that both those screen look entirely normal to me. That's the problem here - different people have different expectations about what this lighting technology can achieve. You will NOT get a perfectly evenly illuminated screen, like an LCD screen. A certain amount of shadowing is entirely normal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #400
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to say that both those screen look entirely normal to me.
Harry, see the big odd grey line gap at the top? I've never seen an electronic device with a good 2mm gap at the top like that before the screen starts. Can't see how that is entirely normal or in any way good QC. Thats the issue with the PPW, not the screen - it is perfect (and though my first PPW shadows are alot more than the right picture shows, I'm totally happy with it - haven't complained about it).

Would anyone seriously accept a PPW with a gap like that at the top before the screen?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #401
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Harry, see the big odd grey line gap at the top? I've never seen an electronic device with a good 2mm gap at the top like that before the screen starts. Can't see how that is entirely normal or in any way good QC. Thats the issue with the PPW, not the screen - it is perfect (and though my first PPW shadows are alot more than the right picture shows, I'm totally happy with it - haven't complained about it).

Would anyone seriously accept a PPW with a gap like that at the top before the screen?
Sorry, that wasn't evident from your description. If that's the problem I agree that this needs to be replaced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #402
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I would also not accept the headlamping on the leftmost screen - it is uneven and the worst 'finger' would extend into a good 5-6 lines of the text, unlike the acceptable headlamping on the right screen.

The colour blotches convo has been done to death here - suffice it to say that if those colours are true I wouldn't be able to read comfortably on either of them, but less colour-sensitive people might say they are perfectly fine.

Neither of these issues is intrinsic to the tech. The Kobo Glos don't have the colour-bruising issue at all (and some Paperwhites apparently don't), and most Paperwhites don't have the level of headlamping seen on that left screen.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #403
drewh
Connoisseur

Yeh, the line at the top was the issue - still don't know how that got through whatever quality checks they have. Actually the pics are all a bit misleading - the screen itself on the left one is really, really good... at the bottom there are no shadows between the LEDs at all, unlike my other one (one on the right). I can see the headlamping in the pic but on the device, theres nothing.

I agree some people are expecting too much, BUT after seeing how they've completely eliminated the shadows between LEDs on the left PPW (batch 604) - I know I could have just been lucky - but it makes me think they're still tweaking the manufacturing process ever so slightly, which should have been done well before so many million devices shipped. If, and its only if, all batch 604's are like that, then that screen is pretty close to perfect (would be hard to see how they'd improve it any more given the current process re LEDs and spreading across the 'flattened optical fibre' like piece).

Will post when I receive the replacement to see if same or not!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #404
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Drew, the color bruising on the right one looks really bad to me, not as bad on the left one with the misaligned screen. I hope the replacements will be better.

Also, most people just expect devices without bruises, holes in the screens, and smudges underneath the screen. Not too much to ask for.... As meeera said, Kobos don't have any of those issues.

Last edited by xendula; 02-20-2013 at 07:55 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #405
drewh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Drew, the color bruising on the right one looks really bad to me
Hey xendula... by bruising you're talking about the shadows at the bottom? (between the LEDs?). I can still replace that one as its in the 30 days - I had just resigned to reading with those as everything else was good & others had the same on theirs. What do you think?