Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #12796
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

That's all the reigning Monarchs. There's at least one more answer, possibly more than one.
Trying to decipher this. Or maybe I am reading to much into it.

How about the pair William and Mary. Was the claim to the throne through her ancestry, but he had the title of King [of somewhere]? Did he live that long?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #12797
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Trying to decipher this. Or maybe I am reading to much into it.

How about the pair William and Mary. Was the claim to the throne through her ancestry, but he had the title of King [of somewhere]? Did he live that long?
You're on the right lines (although your specific example isn't right). I don't beleive there are any Kings left to get.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #12798
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
George II died age 76.
Edward VIII died age 77

I hadn't thought about Lord Protectors. Oliver Cromwell only got to 59, but Richard Cromwell (October 4, 1626 - July 12, 1712) made it to 85, and I can't refuse you the point.

One point to Kumabjorn.

There's at least one more King or Queen.
Off course you can refuse me the point, you're the sole infallible judge. I can't get that Viking king out of my head, think there was something about him being proclaimed but he never got crowned because William of Normandy came on a visit. It is so annoying knowing I have learned about this but I can't recall it when I finally need it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #12799
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Knowledge of much more recent history should produce another Queen who made it past 80.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #12800
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elizabeth II is what? 86? 87? But I think that was already mentioned by someone.
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #12801
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Elizabeth II is what? 86? 87? But I think that was already mentioned by someone.
Yes, Queen Elizabeth II is over 80, but has already been taken.

The Duke of Edinburgh is a Duke, not a King, so doesn't count, even though he is now 92!

The person I'm thinking of lived in three different centuries.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #12802
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So could you be talking about the Queen Mother? How old was Queen Elizabeth II when she was crowned and did the Queen Mother serve as queen reagent for any time?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #12803
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So could you be talking about the Queen Mother? How old was Queen Elizabeth II when she was crowned and did the Queen Mother serve as queen reagent for any time?
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (August 4, 1900 - March 30, 2002) is indeed the one I was thinking of. Born in the 19th century, lived through the entire 20th century, and died in the 21st century.

She was Queen consort of England from 1936 to 1952. While not a reigning monarch, she was certainly a Queen of England.

Four points to Hamlet53
One point to Kumabjorn

I don't think there are enough remaining to affect the outcome, so I declare Hamlet53 the winner.

The only other one I know about is Eleanor of Aquitaine (ca. 1122 - March 31st 1204), who was Queen consort of England from 1154-1189. She was also Queen consort of France from 1137-1152, and Duchess of Aquitaine in her own right from 1137.

Over to you, Hamlet53!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #12804
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary also made 80, I believe. Queen Consort seems to be a position that promotes longevity.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #12805
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary also made 80, I believe. Queen Consort seems to be a position that promotes longevity.
You're right! Queen Mary (26 May 1867 – 24 March 1953) also made it past 80, and Queen Alexandria (1 December 1844 – 20 November 1925) made it to 80 too.

I'd forgotten that, if I ever knew it.

But Hamlet53 is still up for the next quiz.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #12806
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Yes, I wonder what it is about living a pampered life of luxury with the best doctors known to man on call at other people's expense that helps you live to a ripe old age?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #12807
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Yes, I wonder what it is about living a pampered life of luxury with the best doctors known to man on call at other people's expense that helps you live to a ripe old age?
That was probably a factor, especially for royals after the point in history where the fear of someone taking away the crown by force, that is killing them for it, faded away.

I expect that number will grow considerably now that any English commoner has a fair chance of making it to 80 years old and beyond.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #12808
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Makes me wonder how old Prince Albert got to be?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #12809
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So after a question about kings and queens of England, here is one about US Presidents. Personal details about their lives before, during, and after serving that is:

1 Name the President(s) that had no children (known and legitimate)

Polk Shayne Parkinson

2 Name the President(s) that had the greatest number of children and how many

John Tyler Shayne Parkinson Number?

3 Name the President(s) that had the greatest number of wives and how many

4 Name the President(s) that were never married.

Buchanan poohbear_nc

5 Name the President(s )that divorced a wife (or wives).

Last edited by Hamlet53; 02-10-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #12810
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
4. Buchanan?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote