Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, draining is the correct word. I have the light cover from Sony and it is not heavy and uses one AAA battery. It does not drain the 650's battery. I would not want nay light I use to get power from the reader's battery. That's just a bad design (IMHO).
So opinions can differ. For me its PERFECT design and using extra batteries just s****.

The word "drain" implies, the battery is empty in no time, but I use the light every night, have Wireless always on and my battery lasts for 10 days. This is not "draining".

Last edited by bitschnau; 11-20-2010 at 06:54 PM.
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
The OP already has a cover, so why recommend the lighted cover?

I use the Mighty Bright clip-on with two LEDs. This is my favorite book light, but I also have the Kandle since they had a good 2-fer deal recently. The Kandle is good for take-out reading, since it is more compact and doesn't turn on by itself in my bag.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
Nonna1
Nonna1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm completely satisfied with my Kandle.
Nonna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
In my experience, the black Kandle works extremely well. Lots of people complain about the light fall-off near the bottom, but the company recently revamped their light and it lights up the K3 screen really well. It's also super compact.

I bought several with coupon cods so it was well worth the price (2 for $22.50, then 2 for $10). But now the black Kandle is $30 dollars...I think there still might be a code that will give you half off though.
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I posted a picture elsewhere in another section in relation to this topic showing the eBook Lite turned on, but I'll step in here on the Kindle section. I went about the light issue backwards, perhaps. I thought the $59 was a bit too steep for the lighted protector, so I found an eBook Lite at Target. I also bought a Kandle during the sale for a friend, so I've used both of these clip-on lights, but not the Kindle protector with light, so I'll leave that for others. Before I compare the two clip-ons, I will say that I did break down and buy the plain cover (no light) and I am impressed with the design and quality of the cover. Worth the $39? Well, yes, I now think so, having seen it. I did see them now available along with the K3 at Target also.

The eBook Lite (Capstone) has 3 LED 'bulbs' and a three-position switch for off, dim, bright. It uses two 'AAA' batteries and does not require a tool to access the battery compartment. I see those features as a plus. I do not care for the ratchet-type clip-clamp design as the ratchet mechanism is a bit fiddly to spread open from a stored/closed position.

The Kandle light has a simple on/off switch. It has two LED bulbs. I have not compared the light output between the Kandle and the eBook Lite, but they appear to be comparable and both are adequate. The Kandle uses two CR2032 round batteries which are perhaps more expensive and less generally available than the 'AAA' batteries in the eBook Lite. In addition, the battery cover is held by a single, tiny philips-head screw. The Kandle does come with two extra batteries (4 in all) and a small philips-head screwdriver that fits the battery cover access screw. My concern is that with these tiny screws it is very easy to 'strip' the philips 'cross' in the screw head with repeated removal of the cover and may soon render the screw unusable. I think this is a design flaw that should be considered. The Kandle has a spring clip (like a clipboard clip) which is easier to use than the ratchet clip on the eBook Lite. The Kandle clip does, however, fit rather far down on the Kindle3 screen and must be kept higher up to avoid covering the top of the viewing screen. It, despite the name, is a generic clip that can be used on any reader.

If the eBook Lite had a Kandle clip, it would be perfect. I prefer the separately powered lights to extend the Kindle recharge cycle time when on vacation. I can carry extra batteries for the light, not for the Kindle.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
subarux
subarux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & iphone
Can anyone tell me what would be the best choice of clip light for a 'naked' K3?
I don't want to buy a cover/case since I don't want to add extra weight on it.
subarux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
charlec
charlec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
@subarux

If you find a good one please let me know. I'd love something like the Mighty Bright Travelflex that would attach to a "naked" K3.
charlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
The Octovo Solis for K3 was just released yesterday. I love the Solis for K2, so I ordered the new one right away. You can get it from Octovo.com, but the shipping is cheaper at Amazon.com ($5 instead of $10). If you wait a week or two, I'm sure it'll be available for free shipping via Amazon Prime. The light costs $29
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I'm using either the Kandle or the eBook Lite on a naked K3. The eBook Lite clip fits a bit better, as the Kandle clip has a bit too much 'overbite', but both work fine. The Kandle is easier to mount/dismount with it's spring clip. I never use the K3 with the protective cover because it is a bit more awkward and doubles the weight of the K3.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote