Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Does anyone know how?

Hi all,
A few things that seem ... well deficient in the Story OS, or maybe it's just me not knowing how to do them, so can anyone tell me how to work these tricks?

1) Get the system database to update on demand
I just use Windows Explorer to copy new books onto my Story, or delete them from the device. Sometimes, on removing the device from connection with my PC, the Story will update its file database automatically, but often it won't. On the occasions it doesn't, the books I've newly installed don't show up on the Books menu, even after shutting the Story down and starting it up again. The only way I've found to get the database to update is to reconnect the device to the USB port, let the Story go online and let my PC recognise it, and then "stop" the USB device and disconnect it again. That usually works, but it's a pain in the bum to have to do almost every time I install new files.

Is there a simpler way to force the database to update? I can't find any option on the menu, like there is on my iRiver B30 mp3 player.

2) Connect the iRiver to the PC after it's in menu mode?
If I miss the short window for connecting the Story to my PC after I plug in the USB cable, or later want to connect it, is there any way to get the option to connect back again, short of unplugging and replugging the USB cable? (I know all USB ports and cables make less and less firm connections, the more they're plugged/unplugged, so I'm trying to avoid the wear and tear.)

3) Modify the built-in screen-saver?
Anyone know any way to add to or change the graphics that cut in as a screen saver, change the amount of time after which they cut in, or change how quickly the system goes into sleep mode if it's left unattended? The Settings in firmware 1.71 have an option for when it powers down, but it doesn't appear to actually relate to anything. What's it for?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 05-16-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: forgot something. And I'm sure there's more!
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, given the overwhelming flood of silence ... I'll take that as a resounding "no" !! ;-)
Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I don't like the screen saver pics. They're strangely eerie. I fell asleep once reading an ebook, and woke up with a woman on the screen staring at me. She looks kinda tense. Gave me a fright. I wish I could change those screensaver images as well.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser

The fact that there even is a screensaver isn't mentioned in the manual, and when I asked tech support they knew nothing about it either. (Really? How well do they actually know the product they're supporting? Do they even use one themselves?). Tech support finally decided you couldn't change the pictures, but solely on the basis of their having nothing that told them you could.

I know I'm sounding like I'm grumpy, but I'm really not. I do get frustrated, though, with companies that aren't customer-focused. Everyone's happy when the product does everything it's supposed to, but when it doesn't, then the onus is on the company to at least make some response. iRiver's silence and lack of action have been deafening. As I say, I'm disappointed on that score.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
onefineday
onefineday began at the beginning.

Device: iriver STORY
good! point!

I've got the same impression once myself.
Anyways I like some of the other pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I don't like the screen saver pics. They're strangely eerie. I fell asleep once reading an ebook, and woke up with a woman on the screen staring at me. She looks kinda tense. Gave me a fright. I wish I could change those screensaver images as well.
onefineday is offline   Reply With Quote