Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #31
iliis
Pastafari
iliis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Indeed, this confuses me as well. Maybe the rootfs_md5_list is missing some files?
iliis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #32
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
But I think a broken libthread_db-1.0.so, part of the glibc, will lead to a lot of broken applications. libsegfault is typically LD_PRELOADed, and if the framework does make use of it for vital applications, that might be a problem, too.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliis View Post
Indeed, this confuses me as well. Maybe the rootfs_md5_list is missing some files?
As a "senior executive engineer" can't you just toss it at one of your managers and tell the manager to have some of the tech's fix it?

They might all think: "the old man really screwed up this time" but nobody who wanted to keep their job would dare say anything.

- - - -

Just do the obvious - make an md5sum listing of the various 'lib' directory sub-trees, post (with listing of how you did it).
Then let someone with a working DXG repeat the listing.

That will pin-point what files are different.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #34
iliis
Pastafari

@hawhill: precisely!

@knc1: Aye, delegating this problem to a bunch of minions would be convenient. Unfortunately, my title is mainly sarcasm[1].
Attached is a list of md5sums of every file I could find, generated with:

Code:
find . -type f -exec md5sum {} \; > ../complete_md5_list
and a list of all symlinks, just for completeness' sake.

Code:
find . -type l -exec echo -n {} "--> " \; -exec readlink {} \; > ../complete_symlink_list.txt
There's actually a second partition on my Kindle called "LocalVars" and having no idea if it is relevant (I've never seen it before) I made listings for that one as well.

---
[1] http://weknowmemes.com/2012/02/i-her...-delivery-boy/
Attached Files
File Type: txt complete_md5_list.txt (161.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: txt complete_md5_list_LocalVars.txt (472 Bytes, 253 views)
File Type: txt complete_symlink_list.txt (22.7 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by iliis; 07-11-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, so.
Well what you choose is a for-real job title in some corporations (Such as Ford Motor Company).
And is not a "feel good" title.
It is the title of someone you **do not** want to cross.
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #36
iliis
Pastafari

I meant no offense, I hold experienced engineers in high regard. But bureaucracy and labeling can get out of hand sometimes...

Back to the actual topic at hand: Is there somebody with a working DXG who is willing to lend me a hand?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #37
knc1
Going Viral

No offense taken.
Was just mis-lead by the title you assumed.

- - - -

Evidently you still have access to the file system of your Kindle (since you plan to replace files in it) -

Have you created an md5sum listing of the existing files on your device yet?
Where did you post that listing?

Note:
You only need listings of those portions of the directory tree you think you might have changed.
But of course, it will probably save time in the long run if you just copy off the entire file-system tree of the Kindle into a directory on your PC (better and faster tools available there).

Also: There is a tool which will probably help you in creating that list.
http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/
Old 07-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #38
iliis
Pastafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Have you created an md5sum listing of the existing files on your device yet?
Where did you post that listing?
Yes, I already did that two posts ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=34 The lists are attached to that post.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes, I already did that two posts ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=34 The lists are attached to that post.
Great!
I missed that post somehow.
- - - -
That is half the job, now all you need is for someone with a working device to do the same and compare them.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #40
iliis
Pastafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
now all you need is for someone with a working device to do the same and compare them.
Which is exactly why I signed up here in the first place
Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 AM   #41
iliis
Pastafari

Huhu, is there anybody reading this who has a working Kindle DX Graphite? Or any other second generation Kindle, like a Kindle 2 or a regular DX?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #42
iliis
Pastafari

bump...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #43
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good evening. I’ve a DXG and can access it via ssh-usbnetwork (not now, when I arrive home; and everytime I remember how to do it…) Right now I can run some commands at a terminal emulator (or whatever the name it has…) As you can see I’m quite noob, and I haven’t read all the post but, how can I help you?
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #44
iliis
Pastafari

Awesome!

Ok, I (probably) need a few system files. So you have to check which files on your Kindle are different from mine and you need a way to transfer files from and to your PC.

Transfering files should be easy with SSH by using SCP, SSHFS or something similiar. I think you can also just copy the files to the document partition which you can access normaly trough USB. Tell me if you need help with this.

I would highly recommend to do a full backup of everything you can grab before trying anything even remotely dangerous

To find the files I need, download the complete_md5_list.txt from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=34 and transfer it to your Kindle. Now run the following command:

Code:
cd / && md5sum --check path/to/complete_md5_list.txt --quiet
This calculates an MD5 hash of every file and compares it to the list of my hashes. Hopefully it should output only a few lines.

If you get this far, just post the output of the above command here.
You could also directly send me all those files, but that is a bit problematic as you probably don't want to put any personal data online. And before you go trough all the hassle let's verify that you got the right files.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #45
iliis
Pastafari

That might have been a bit too much, huh?

If you're still interested in helping me out, I can guide you trough everything. If not, it's ok too

Tags
bricked, dxg, graphite, kindle dxg