Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #61
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Can't stand audio books myself they go so slow compared to the speed I read at, I get very bored very quickly in fact I don't think I've ever got through the first chapter with one.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #62
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You should try listening to the Harry Potter books as suggested in one of the earlier posts. I just started the second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets narrated by Jim Dale and he really does a fantastic job and I've only listened to the first chapter. I just finished listening to the dramatized version of Watership Down and I immensely enjoyed it. So try listening to more than one audiobook before making a decision and make sure you choose a good narrator.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #63
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
Audio books would simply be too slow for me. However, I'm leaning toward trying one.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #64
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
It's really quite different being read to or reading yourself. I'm a very fast reader, but am happy to listen to an audiobook which goes at a much slower pace.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #65
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
at the gym

I listen to audiobooks all the time at the gym which I attend regularly or when I am walking in the street. Everything depends on the reader. If you get readers like Jim Dale, Jon Rubenstein or Jim Broadbent (whom I am listening to currently) the experience is that of a fine theatrical performance. Go to Audible.com and find out. If on the other hand, you listen to the audible version provided by the Kindle or the Gutenberg project, you will be disappointed or worse, because these versions are computer generated.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #66
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have been on the fence about trying audiobooks. I've been to audible.com quite a few times, but haven't pulled the trigger as of yet. This thread has been very instructive to me. I do quite a few things that would be conducive to audiobooks. Commuting an hour each way for work. I ride my exercise bike daily, so I could do it then as well. I just need a small push!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #67
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I think Audible offers a free book or two if you join. Is that a sufficient push?
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #68
SJJ
SJJ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TH-55
I read a lot of books, physical and e-books. I didn't like audio books, but since I couldn't read while using the weight machines at the 'Y' I kept trying. As several people have suggested, start with books you know. I started with some books I like to reread occasionally, moved onto the Jim Dale - Harry Potter series (also read in book form). The narrator is very important. Audible has a sample button so you can get an idea of how the narrator sounds. There is some zany current 'radio' drama from ZBS that I like.

I only listen when I am at the "Y" or walking.
SJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #69
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
The only audiobooks I have ever tried were for Shakespeare plays that I was already familiar with. They were fine but not as good as seeing the plays. I don't know if I would have been able to follow an unfamiliar play using sound alone.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #70
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I have been on the fence about trying audiobooks. I've been to audible.com quite a few times, but haven't pulled the trigger as of yet. This thread has been very instructive to me. I do quite a few things that would be conducive to audiobooks. Commuting an hour each way for work. I ride my exercise bike daily, so I could do it then as well. I just need a small push!!!
Try the free Whispersync Kindle/Audible classics listed here. You buy the free book at Amazon and you can download the corresponding free audiobook from Audible. You don't need to be a member. There's also a selection of classics that are 99 cents at Audible after you buy the free Kindle version.

Also, check out tubemonkey's thread.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #71
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
How about the library? They are free, (can't beat the price) and usually have a pretty good selection. Even if mine doesn't have anything I want to download from their online site, they also have a pretty good selection of CDs to borrow.
I do wish people that borrow the CDs would take better care of them though. What do people do, use them for frisbees?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #72
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
How about the library? They are free, (can't beat the price) and usually have a pretty good selection. Even if mine doesn't have anything I want to download from their online site, they also have a pretty good selection of CDs to borrow.
I do wish people that borrow the CDs would take better care of them though. What do people do, use them for frisbees?
S
Having worked at a library, it appeared to us that the CDs were not only used as frisbees, they were used to hold coffee, as hockey pucks, to scrape up cheese that was stuck to the counter...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #73
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Having worked at a library, it appeared to us that the CDs were not only used as frisbees, they were used to hold coffee, as hockey pucks, to scrape up cheese that was stuck to the counter...
You made me giggle! Thanks for the laugh, I needed one this morning.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #74
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Can't stand audio books myself they go so slow compared to the speed I read at, I get very bored very quickly in fact I don't think I've ever got through the first chapter with one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSimpson View Post
Audio books would simply be too slow for me. However, I'm leaning toward trying one.
I feel the same way. But there are smartphone apps now, including the Audible app, where you can adjust the speed while keeping the pitch the same to prevent the "helium" effect. Ipods and other mp3 players have this feature as well. The ability to increase playback speed has made audiobooks much more appealing to me.

I usually have the speed at 1.3x to 1.4x, depending on the narrator. If it's a complex book or if I'm too sleepy to process the words as fast, I can turn it down. It's great!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #75
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Soooo - I tried again with the audio books. I have the Audible App on my Android and a bunch of classics I got for free. So when I went to pick up my crochet project, I kicked off Jane Eyre.

I left the speed at 1x because I wanted to hear the natural speed of the speaker. The experience was quite good. In fact, this book would be great to read. Don't know if there are any Jane Eyre fans out there, but my mother told me that although she enjoyed many period works (like Austen for example), Jane Eyre was a book that she could re-read many times. That's why I picked the book. I don't really have time to read it at the moment, but I can listen to it at the times I can't read. I definitely couldn't read and crochet - that would be a disaster.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote