Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
seedyeh
seedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
kobo glo clunk noise

Hey guys, long time lurker, firs time poster

Anyway, I've had my kobo glo for about a month now. Recently I noticed that whenever I turn my kobo glo on it's side or shake it, there's a clunk noise like something is moving/shifting inside the reader.

So far it hasn't effected functionality at all...

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the same?

I'm past my warranty period for in store (indigo) and would hate to have to mail it back to kobo to get it 'fixed' nor would i want a refurb replacement...

thank you.
seedyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
You can contact Kobo support for advice (and possible replacement). I am sure I read somewhere (possibly in a review) that someone else had a similar problem and it was because the internal battery had come loose. Sounds like it needs sorting as if the battery is loose then this could lead to other isues
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Definitely something loose inside ...
How can you be past your warranty with the store you got it from ? I mean the Glo is new, not like it came two years ago or anything. Or your warranty was valid for a few days only ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I had this problem. After about 10 days, something inside came loose and started to move when you shook the Glo side-to-side - I'm guessing battery.

It was certainly going to get worse, not better, so I returned it for another.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
seedyeh
seedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipse

thanks for the input. I opened up ticket with kobo CSR as I didn't want further issues down line...

RE: warranty. It's strange, but indigo states that if you bought the item post 30 days, you have to take up issues with kobo rather than the store itself. Seems a bit silly to me...

"If your Kobo eReader is defective but past 14/30 days and within 1 year of purchase pleae conatct Kobo for the manufacturers return process."

cheers.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You should try taking it in if that is more convenient. Sometimes venders exchange things past the stated date.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

I've now had this problem with a second Glo.

When the battery came loose in my first one I took it back to Powells, and now a few weeks later, the exchanged one has the same issue. Neither were ever dropped or treated roughly.

Must be a bad batch.

I'm going to take it back again tomorrow - sure hope they don't tell me to send it back to Kobo.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I've now had this problem with a second Glo.
OK, now I'm worried.
How hard do you shake it to hear the noise (if you shake it at all)?
Is the noise loud?
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist

No need to shake it hard, just a gentle side-to-side movement. It's not loud, but you can easily feel it when the heaviest part inside moves.

I'm guessing a bad batch - that's what you get sometimes when you buy a new product.

Now I get to try to convince Powells customer service that their 30-day warrantee should start over again when the device is a replacement.

Last edited by EldRick; 12-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist

Well, I'm pleased to report that Powells took my second Glo with a loose battery back and replaced it with no argument.

This second one developed the clunk about 26 days after it replaced the first one.

I'm hoping that the second replacement came from a batch that doesn't have the problem, because I doubt that they will do this a third time...
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
seedyeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Well, I'm pleased to report that Powells took my second Glo with a loose battery back and replaced it with no argument.

This second one developed the clunk about 26 days after it replaced the first one.

I'm hoping that the second replacement came from a batch that doesn't have the problem, because I doubt that they will do this a third time...
Hey there

Kobo sent me a replacement without question, and so far my 2nd kobo glo has been doing well!

Odd that you mention that your 2nd glo, after 26 days, developed the clunk. The first one I had, was purchased oct 16, and had about a month of use before the noise started....perhaps a bad batch like you say. Mine was purchased at chapters (canada).

seems like an easy fix for kobo glo (add more/stronger adhesive to the battery).
Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
My Glo started to make this clunking sound, like something was moving inside.

It has to be the battery, as that is the only part that isn't screwed down.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The clunking sound was the battery.

The battery is attached to the back of the screen with a wide piece of double-sided scotch tape.

If the battery is not properly pressed into the back of the screen, the tape doesn't adhere properly.

The good news is that even if the battery does get loose, it really doesn't have anywhere to go, so it shouldn't cause a problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Is it really stuck to the back of the screen? All tear down pictures and Kobos I have opened has the battery mounted to rugged green circuit board inside a mounting frame that will hold battery in position even if adhesive holding battery fails. Screen is more delicate and likely to be damaged when removing battery for replacement.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Is it really stuck to the back of the screen? All tear down pictures and Kobos I have opened has the battery mounted to rugged green circuit board inside a mounting frame that will hold battery in position even if adhesive holding battery fails. Screen is more delicate and likely to be damaged when removing battery for replacement.
Well, whatever the screen is mounted on.

The battery will move around, but only within its area, so it shouldn't do any damage if it gets loose.

Once stuck on, the double-sided tape really holds well. We'll see if it continues to do so.