Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Maximise
Maximise began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Red face Passing-on e-books

I'm in the process of setting up an on-line not-for-profit charity to support homeschoolers in the UK. I would like to create a number of e-books for children and am thinking through the legalities of sharing or multiple downloading of my works. Any ideas? Do I need a lawyer?
Maximise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximise View Post
I'm in the process of setting up an on-line not-for-profit charity to support homeschoolers in the UK. I would like to create a number of e-books for children and am thinking through the legalities of sharing or multiple downloading of my works. Any ideas? Do I need a lawyer?
It depends.

Setting up the not-for-profit is probably more complicated legally than sharing the e-books. But both *can be* done (at least in the US) without a lawyer, depending.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximise View Post
I would like to create a number of e-books for children and am thinking through the legalities of sharing or multiple downloading of my works (bold mine). Any ideas? Do I need a lawyer?
Depending on where you live, sharing your own works shouldn't be much if any problem. Lots of authors have their own websites where they sell or give away their own works. But you might ask this question in our very own writer's forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
If the books are your original work, you can give them away however you wish.

If they contain collated material that other people created, you'd need permission from all of the creators (or copyright holders, if those are different).
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Get in touch with the holders of the copyright. Some of them might give you permission in exchange of the possibility to put "I help children" on their websites :-)
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's book, creating