Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Does Save To Disk replace older files with files that have newer metadata?

Does Save To Disk replace older files with files that have newer metadata? If I Save To Disk the library, then later modify some metadata in the Library, then Save To Disk again to the same folder, does Save To Disk automatically replace the previously saved files that have older modified dates and older metadata (such as OPFs)?

Does the default column Modified have anything to do with this? I haven't been using this column, but maybe it's there for a good reason I haven't been aware of?

When I periodically Save To Disk for library backup purposes, is it better to just Save To Disk into the same folder time after time? Or to a new folder each time to insure all the new metadata is captured in the saved library's book files?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Does Save To Disk replace older files with files that have newer metadata? If I Save To Disk the library, then later modify some metadata in the Library, then Save To Disk again to the same folder, does Save To Disk automatically replace the previously saved files that have older modified dates and older metadata (such as OPFs)?

Does the default column Modified have anything to do with this? I haven't been using this column, but maybe it's there for a good reason I haven't been aware of?

When I periodically Save To Disk for library backup purposes, is it better to just Save To Disk into the same folder time after time? Or to a new folder each time to insure all the new metadata is captured in the saved library's book files?
STD
will overwrite
will not delete old files that no longer exist because the (folder) name changed or were deleted from the Library.

A FULL backup should just copy the entire Library Folder with Calibre NOT RUNNING (to avoid any file locking issues).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
STD
will overwrite
That's good.

Quote:
will not delete old files that no longer exist because the (folder) name changed or were deleted from the Library.
Not good.

Quote:
A FULL backup should just copy the entire Library Folder with Calibre NOT RUNNING (to avoid any file locking issues).
That's what I'll do and recommend then in next Workflow revision. For some strange reason earlier I forgot about just copying the library folder in the OS instead of using STD, though I've done it before. Good caveat — I never thought to have calibre NOT RUNNING at the time of OS library copy.

Thanks

Edit: What about the Modified column? What do people generally use it for?

Last edited by unboggling; 10-01-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added question re Modified column
Old 10-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Edit: What about the Modified column? What do people generally use it for?
Send a fresh(er) copy to my Reader.
Modified works to inform me that I have changed an 'Empty Book' to a Full Book (the date column has the record creation date)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Send a fresh(er) copy to my Reader.
Modified works to inform me that I have changed an 'Empty Book' to a Full Book (the date column has the record creation date)
Ah. So I guess what it actually does is read the latest modified-dates off the OS modified date on any file in the book folder? Or does calibre just assign today's date when I Edit or change any metadata?

I don't use Empty Books, prefer using placeholder formats for wishlist items then switch formats when a good format for that book comes in. But if I did use Empty Books, I'd use the Modified column.

I can't think of any other reasons to want Modified to take up library booklist space.
Advert