Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Watching for inexpensive backlist collections

One of the things I watch for, in the bargains and freebies area, are cheap editions of books I already own on paper and love.

I probably own a couple of thousand paper books. I'd pay a buck or two each to own ebook copies of some large percentage of them, at which point I could shed the weight of all this paper. But at $10 to $15 apiece, I'm not going to buy anything unless I want to read it now.

It seems to me that if publishers made large numbers of backlist titles available in bargain editions, they'd pull a lot of buyers like me out of the woodwork. And since the marginal cost of each ebook is close to zero, it seems like they would be better off selling 2000 copies for $2 each, than selling 200 copies for $10 each.

Maybe someday...
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
May I suggest you check out Backlist Ebooks? It's a growing affiliation of traditionally published authors (including me) who are doing exactly what you ask for, and includes writers in a variety of genres including SF, fantasy, mystery, romance, thrillers, and others, all self-repubbing their backlist titles. It's also a nice bunch of people, and some of them drop in here once in a while.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
May I suggest you check out Backlist Ebooks?

Thank you so much for that!
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
One of the things I watch for, in the bargains and freebies area, are cheap editions of books I already own on paper and love.

I probably own a couple of thousand paper books. I'd pay a buck or two each to own ebook copies of some large percentage of them, at which point I could shed the weight of all this paper. But at $10 to $15 apiece, I'm not going to buy anything unless I want to read it now.

It seems to me that if publishers made large numbers of backlist titles available in bargain editions, they'd pull a lot of buyers like me out of the woodwork. And since the marginal cost of each ebook is close to zero, it seems like they would be better off selling 2000 copies for $2 each, than selling 200 copies for $10 each.

Maybe someday...
I'm with you, except that there are costs associated with getting those backlist titles out.

I would like to see publishers offer some incentive for buying backlist titles in digital form--as some studios did for upgrades from VHS to DVD, and from DVD to Blu-ray. Disney, for example, would e-mail a coupon for something like $8 to $10 off the Blu-ray movie if you sent them the SKU code of your earlier version. With that incentive, I rebought a lot of Disney titles I otherwise wouldn't have gotten, and donated the earlier versions. Seems like it was a win-win situation.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I see a lot of cheap backlist available in the romance genre. Granted, that may not be your cup of tea. Example:

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....&UGRP=0&SAT=11
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post

Thank you so much for that!
You're welcome!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
yeah. I'm one of those people that just love to get a whole series or backlist onto my Kindle once I start.

But some of those prices just make it impractical.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
May I suggest you check out Backlist Ebooks?
Awesome! Thanks!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

You're welcome. I should add, if you like SF and fantasy, there's another group called Bookview Cafe, with a similar goal. And also Closed Circle. And of course, the Baen Free Library.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
There are quite a few mid-list/traditionally published authors whose rights to their back-titles have reverted back to them, and they're publishing them as ebooks themselves. Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Scott Nicholson, Simon Wood, and Harry Shannon.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote