Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Karin Spaink
Karin Spaink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Importing and converting .azw to .mobi

In January, I bought a Kindle and a few books on Amazon. Using Calibre and its plug-ins it was a piece of cake to import them into my Calibre library, dump the DRM in the process and convert them to .mobi. The reason for doing so: I want to continue to be able to read the books that I've bought, even if in the future I move to another e-reader...

Tonight, I bought a few more books at Amazon. However, after importing them into Calibre, they still show up as .azw and they won't convert into .mobi: I get an error message saying that they're DRM protected.

What gives? Are there *different* kinds of DRM at Amazon, some of which can be stripped and some of which can't? I've tried the MobiDeDrm Python script, but somehow that doesn't work at all - it won't even unlock the books that I bought earlier while Calibre can still unlock those.

I'd be happy with some tips...

regards,
KS

Last edited by Karin Spaink; 03-30-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Karin Spaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
google Apprentice Alf blog and make sure you have the latest tools.

I can't remember for sure but I think there was a change about 2 months ago where users had to update the plug-in.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
1) There is no conversion going on... .azw = .mobi (almost always).
2) Update, update, update... RSS is your friend.
3) You should ask these kinds of questions on the other blog.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Karin Spaink

You're a darling. It works again!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Karin Spaink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
1) There is no conversion going on... .azw = .mobi (almost always).
2) Update, update, update... RSS is your friend.
3) You should ask these kinds of questions on the other blog.
1) There might not be much conversion, but there's lots of protection: suddenly I can't read my bought books on my computer anymore, only on my Kindle. Which is why I'd like to strip the DRM.
2) You're right, and I stand corrected. But I had no clue where to look...
3) Could you possibly direct me to that other blog?

Meanwhile, thanks to the replies here, I've managed to convert my locked .azw to portable .mobi.
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Jamethiel
Jamethiel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader
oops old thread

Last edited by Jamethiel; 08-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Jamethiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw, drm, kindle