Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
RuthFL
RuthFL began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Unhappy I need help with mobi

Hello I'm new to the forum but I need help with my kindle paperwhite problems.
Recently, I've been saving documents to my paperwhite in text format using openoffice, then converting them to mobi via calibre to read on my kindle...
For some reason, the formatting is now ignoring the original format where say, part of the story has two people talking, so say Jarod says his bit, then Sydney replies on a separate line...
the mobi download now has both characters on the same line which is very confusing?
I tried uploading the same story in odt format to calibre but then the mobi download then spreads out the words so I may have two letters of the word, then spaces, then the rest of the word on the next line?
Is it just me...can anyone help?

Ruth
RuthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthFL View Post
Hello I'm new to the forum but I need help with my kindle paperwhite problems.
Recently, I've been saving documents to my paperwhite in text format using openoffice, then converting them to mobi via calibre to read on my kindle...
For some reason, the formatting is now ignoring the original format where say, part of the story has two people talking, so say Jarod says his bit, then Sydney replies on a separate line...
the mobi download now has both characters on the same line which is very confusing?
I tried uploading the same story in odt format to calibre but then the mobi download then spreads out the words so I may have two letters of the word, then spaces, then the rest of the word on the next line?
Is it just me...can anyone help?

Ruth
Hi Ruth;

Could you post here a screenshot of what you are getting after conversion and some image of what you would want to get? Of that way would be easier to help

For the moment, and since you are using OpenOffice, I could tell you that would be better for you, to format your document the best you can (use left-aligning, center-aligning, right-aligning, justify-aligning, different fonts size, bold and italic letters, etc., etc.) and after that, save your document as .html (filtered .html, not as .txt). After that, you can convert that .html in .mobi with "Kindlegen" (is free and you can download it from the Amazon site). Of that way you'll get better results that working with .txt files and Calibre.

Regards
Rubén

NOTE: Another choice for you is to save your document as .doc and to use the Amazon conversion service. Since you have a Kindle Paperwhite you can use that service. Just email the .doc to your e-mail address with Amazon and in a few minutes you'll have your .mobi in your mailbox.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
IMHO, the best approach would be to save the book as an .docx in LibreOffice /OpenOffice and to convert it with Calibre's excellent .docx converter to an .azw3 book. If you encounter major formatting issues, convert the book to an .ePub book first and fix the formatting issues with the Calibre .ePub editor or Sigil.
Once it looks good as an .ePub you can convert it with Calibre or Kindle Previewer.

Note that whatever method you use, you must use OpenOffice/LibreOffice styles for best results. For example, each chapter heading must have been formatted as Heading 1 etc.
Otherwise you won't be able to automatically generate a TOC.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
RuthFL

as requested a screen print...

good reason, and that the reason would be made plain to him in the proper time. Until that moment, however, he could enjoy the extreme luxury of being comfortably alone in his protégé‘s company for the first time in years. Jarod was unique, inasmuch as Sydney knew he didn’t need to Pretend or put up any façades. Jarod knew Sydney as well as Sydney knew himself. It was a comfortable feeling of almost familial closeness; and with Jacob now two years dead and buried, Sydney could appreciate the preciousness of that intimate knowledge. “Sydney?” “Yes?” Jarod turned at looked at his mentor, studying his features as if seeing the real person sitting there for the first time. Sydney had aged since last they had seen each other-maybe not so much physically, but there was a sadness in the eyes that was a little more pronounced every time they met. “Do you think they’ll ever give up-hunting me, I mean?” Sydney shook his head. “I honestly don’t know, Jarod-but I suspect not. The Pretender Project was the most important and lucrative Centre project for quite a number of years; and most if not all of the influence the Triumvirate now exercises over Centre activities has come about in the years since you left and put the Project on stand-by. It’s entirely possible that the Tower believes recapturing you may be the only way to stave off a complete Triumvirate take-over.” Jarod nodded, hearing truth in the older man’s softly accented words, and sighed. “That’s what I was afraid of.” There was a tone of finality in the younger man’s voice that made a shiver travel up and down
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
good reason, and that the reason would be made plain to him in the proper time. Until that moment, however, he could enjoy the extreme luxury of being comfortably alone in his protégé‘s company for the first time in years. Jarod was unique, inasmuch as Sydney knew he didn’t need to Pretend or put up any façades. Jarod knew Sydney as well as Sydney knew himself. It was a comfortable feeling of almost familial closeness; and with Jacob now two years dead and buried, Sydney could appreciate the preciousness of that intimate knowledge. “Sydney?” “Yes?” Jarod turned at looked at his mentor, studying his features as if seeing the real person sitting there for the first time. Sydney had aged since last they had seen each other-maybe not so much physically, but there was a sadness in the eyes that was a little more pronounced every time they met. “Do you think they’ll ever give up-hunting me, I mean?” Sydney shook his head. “I honestly don’t know, Jarod-but I suspect not. The Pretender Project was the most important and lucrative Centre project for quite a number of years; and most if not all of the influence the Triumvirate now exercises over Centre activities has come about in the years since you left and put the Project on stand-by. It’s entirely possible that the Tower believes recapturing you may be the only way to stave off a complete Triumvirate take-over.” Jarod nodded, hearing truth in the older man’s softly accented words, and sighed. “That’s what I was afraid of.” There was a tone of finality in the younger man’s voice that made a shiver travel up and down
OK Ruth, but is that what you are getting or your .txt (input) file? If that is your .txt file, you'll need to open it with OpenOfice and to give it some format, something like:

...good reason, and that the reason would be made plain to him in the proper time. Until that moment, however, he could enjoy the extreme luxury of being comfortably alone in his protégé‘s company for the first time in years.

Jarod was unique, inasmuch as Sydney knew he didn’t need to Pretend or put up any façades. Jarod knew Sydney as well as Sydney knew himself. It was a comfortable feeling of almost familial closeness; and with Jacob now two years dead and buried, Sydney could appreciate the preciousness of that intimate knowledge.

“Sydney?”

“Yes?”

Jarod turned at looked at his mentor, studying his features as if seeing the real person sitting there for the first time. Sydney had aged since last they had seen each other-maybe not so much physically, but there was a sadness in the eyes that was a little more pronounced every time they met.

“Do you think they’ll ever give up-hunting me, I mean?” Sydney shook his head.

“I honestly don’t know, Jarod-but I suspect not. The Pretender Project was the most important and lucrative Centre project for quite a number of years; and most if not all of the influence the Triumvirate now exercises over Centre activities has come about in the years since you left and put the Project on stand-by. It’s entirely possible that the Tower believes recapturing you may be the only way to stave off a complete Triumvirate take-over.”

Jarod nodded, hearing truth in the older man’s softly accented words, and sighed.

“That’s what I was afraid of.”

There was a tone of finality in the younger man’s voice that made a shiver travel up and down...

To do that, work with OpenOffice "styles" as Doitsy told you in a previous post. Format the text as best as you can (applying aligning, indenting, paragraph separation, font-size, etc., etc.). Remember that is the input is bad, the output won't be better. After that, save your document as .doc and use Calibre or the Amazon Conversion Service to convert that .doc in .mobi.

Regards

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-20-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
RuthFL

well so far the suggestion of emailing straight to kindle seems to be working the best...
I wish I knew why calibre was behaving in that way to start with? :-)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
RuthFL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
OK Ruth, but is that what you are getting or your .txt (input) file? If that is your .txt file, you'll need to open it with OpenOfice and to give it some format, something like:

...good reason, and that the reason would be made plain to him in the proper time. Until that moment, however, he could enjoy the extreme luxury of being comfortably alone in his protégé‘s company for the first time in years.

Jarod was unique, inasmuch as Sydney knew he didn’t need to Pretend or put up any façades. Jarod knew Sydney as well as Sydney knew himself. It was a comfortable feeling of almost familial closeness; and with Jacob now two years dead and buried, Sydney could appreciate the preciousness of that intimate knowledge.

“Sydney?”

“Yes?”

Jarod turned at looked at his mentor, studying his features as if seeing the real person sitting there for the first time. Sydney had aged since last they had seen each other-maybe not so much physically, but there was a sadness in the eyes that was a little more pronounced every time they met.

“Do you think they’ll ever give up-hunting me, I mean?” Sydney shook his head.

“I honestly don’t know, Jarod-but I suspect not. The Pretender Project was the most important and lucrative Centre project for quite a number of years; and most if not all of the influence the Triumvirate now exercises over Centre activities has come about in the years since you left and put the Project on stand-by. It’s entirely possible that the Tower believes recapturing you may be the only way to stave off a complete Triumvirate take-over.”

Jarod nodded, hearing truth in the older man’s softly accented words, and sighed.

“That’s what I was afraid of.”

There was a tone of finality in the younger man’s voice that made a shiver travel up and down...

To do that, work with OpenOffice "styles" as Doitsy told you in a previous post. Format the text as best as you can (applying aligning, indenting, paragraph separation, font-size, etc., etc.). Remember that is the input is bad, the output won't be better. After that, save your document as .doc and use Calibre or the Amazon Conversion Service to convert that .doc in .mobi.

Regards
The screen print was the result of the conversion via calibre from txt to mobi. So far the amazon conversion is the best option so far, I am now uploading the saved copies from my hard drive in doc format...
Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
The screen print was the result of the conversion via calibre from txt to mobi. So far the amazon conversion is the best option so far, I am now uploading the saved copies from my hard drive in doc format...
Glad to know that you could solve your issues!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
@RuthFL

There is an alternative way to obtain nice formatting from txt converted via Calibre: Markdown.

Look here:

"Formatting Style: Markdown
calibre also supports running TXT input though a transformation preprocessor known as markdown. Markdown allows for basic formatting to be added to TXT documents, such as bold, italics, section headings, tables, lists, a Table of Contents, etc. Marking chapter headings with a leading # and setting the chapter XPath detection expression to “//h:h1” is the easiest way to have a proper table of contents generated from a TXT document."
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another way is to copy and paste into a program like Sigil which still works though not being updated now. If you save your file as an epub you can load it into calibre and convert to Kindle. Or load the text file into Calibre and convert to epub then edit it through Sigil and then convert it to Kindle. You can edit through Calibre now days as well but I find it more convenient to use Sigil.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
IMHO, the best approach would be to save the book as an .docx in LibreOffice /OpenOffice and to convert it with Calibre's excellent .docx converter to an .azw3 book. If you encounter major formatting issues, convert the book to an .ePub book first and fix the formatting issues with the Calibre .ePub editor or Sigil.
Once it looks good as an .ePub you can convert it with Calibre or Kindle Previewer.
You do not need to convert the AZW3 to ePub in order to edit it in Calibre's Edit book. You can edit the AZW3 directly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote