Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book is going to make me afraid of the dark in October 2012?
Carmilla by J. Sheridan LeFanu 20 60.61%
Grave Robbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary) by Jeff Strand 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cleaning up/Reformatting "Camilla"

For those who find issues with the ePub version of Carmilla (such as not being able to change the font) or you prefer no paragraph spaces and proper indents, please wait until Monday when I will have the code for Carmilla all cleaned up and reformatted. I will post it on MR and link to it in this thread.

I'll have two versions. One that will have no margins and one that will have small margins of 9pt all around. You can pick the one you want.

I'll also post a Mobi version that is reformatted for those that prefer my formatting.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #47
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sounds good. I'll be happy to have a look at that myself. Karma to you in anticipation.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Sounds good. I'll be happy to have a look at that myself. Karma to you in anticipation.
I just have to fix the title page and the cover page and I should be done other then a run through FlightCrew to find and fix and structural errors.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Jon.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #50
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks Jon!

Wish I could've waited for it but I'm already finished! I'm shocked I'm already through both clubs' October selections within the first week of the month (and within about four days of starting them). It's also interesting the (very peripheral) similarities between the two selections - both set in mountainous Central and Southeastern Europe, both written in the latter half of the 19th century, both selections so short and both written by Irish authors.

I'll wait on most of what I'd say about Carmilla, but I will say I really liked the sweet melancholy Gothic atmosphere. Also interesting, I thought it seemed similar to Vampyr, an old film I'd once seen, and sure enough, using wikipedia afterwards, it says Vampyr was based off a collection by Le Fanu that included Carmilla, and was probably heavily based off of Carmilla in particular.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have finished my reformatting of the ePub edition of Carmilla. Because of the new more minimalist coding (I removed all the excess styling and spans), the number of pages ADE actually says is now less at 84 vs 90 for the excess coding.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193263
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The new Mobipocket edition of Camilla is now ready for download and reading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193265
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Thanks Jon!

Wish I could've waited for it but I'm already finished!
Give the newly formatted Carmilla a read. Maybe this time you'll get more out of it since you won't have to deal with paragraph spaces.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #54
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Also on OverDrive

Available as ePub, PDF, and protected WMA audiobook formats in public libraries that offer OverDrive Media's digital content.

Public libraries' access to OverDrive are different, so it's not possible to provide a link to your library.

Last edited by jj2me; 10-09-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Took out link because apparently it's invisible to others.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Overdrive search results do expire. So it's not possible to properly link them.

Other then audiobook, Overdrive offers nothing that MR does not offer for free. PDF does not count at all.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #56
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
That is a top class formatting job!

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What great choices we had this month in the run-off vote. I've already read and loved the loser, and now I'm halfway through and thoroughly enjoying the winner.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
That is a top class formatting job!

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing it.
Your very welcome.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What great choices we had this month in the run-off vote. I've already read and loved the loser, and now I'm halfway through and thoroughly enjoying the winner.
I'm almost done with the Star Trek book I am reading. I'll then be reading the 3rd Kate Shugak book and then Carmilla.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #60
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've already read Carmilla, so I think I'll give Grave Robbers Wanted a go.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, october 2012, vote