Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
starlighzz
starlighzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G&WIFI)
Kindle 3 (3G) battery life =S

Hey!
I recieved my kindle 3 (3G) 2 weeks ago, the battery life was only about 2-3 days, and i read in the forums that I should go through 3-4 recharge cycles, then it should be fine. Now, I'm on my 4th full charge, and it ran down to about 80% within 2 hours of reading. It's there something I can do to make sure I have a faulty product?
Thanks
(this is my first post btw )

Last edited by starlighzz; 01-26-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Forgot troubleshooting
starlighzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
If you're adding books to the Kindle, it will index the files, and that uses up the battery pretty fast. Once it finishes that process, your battery life will be better.

On my HTC smartphone, it helps to run the bettery down almost completely, then do a full charge to re-calibrate the charging circuits. Don't know if that applies to the Kindle also, but it might help.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
starlighzz

thanks for the reply!
The thing is i only have about 7books. also what do u mean by running the charge out completely? to the point when it says low battery?
thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Search for a random set of characters "axheiml" or such and make sure it is not trying to index one book and stuck on it. If stuck, delete that book and try re-adding it.

Only 7 books should not cause a huge indexing issue for the battery.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The K3 should have a much longer battery life than that. At least a week on a charge, and some people say they get much more - like a month on a charge.

If you've done the indexing search and found nothing indexing, do a restart. Sometimes a restart can help it run better. From the menu button, go to Settings, then click the menu button again and click Restart. Give it 5 minutes to reboot. If, after that, you don't get a better charge life, you should replace it. I've got a K3 that doesn't hold a charge for longer than 4-5 days and I really wish I'd replaced it earlier. Now I've got so much stuff on it that it'd be too much of a pain to exchange it for another.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Also check that your Kindle isn't downloading a book endlessly, if you got a free book or bought a book from Amazon by wifi. You can see that on: home---menu----view downloading items. That option should be greyed out. If not: try to send that same book again to your Kindle in Manage Your Kindle on your Amazon.com page. If that fails, just remove it from there.
The batteryindicator isn't very reliable in the beginning. It needs a few run-downs to get calibrated.
Good luck; if it's not indexing or downloading that is the problem, I would call Amazon. They have a good customerservice.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlighzz View Post
thanks for the reply!
The thing is i only have about 7books. also what do u mean by running the charge out completely? to the point when it says low battery?
thanks
Yep, run the battery level down to the point you get low battery warning, then charge completely up to 100% level.

On my K1, I keep 3G off until I need it. Unless I need to sync books between different devices, or download books, I keep it off. If you have a poor 3G connection, the radio could be using more power than normal, trying to lock on to a cell tower signal.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
As this forum has often covered, there are differing opinions about how to treat a Lithium Polymer battery such as the one used in the Kindle. Most experts say it is happiest holding half a charge or so. It should not be stored with a full charge, nor should it be run all the way down to empty. At least that's what the experts say!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
As this forum has often covered, there are differing opinions about how to treat a Lithium Polymer battery such as the one used in the Kindle. Most experts say it is happiest holding half a charge or so. It should not be stored with a full charge, nor should it be run all the way down to empty. At least that's what the experts say!
You are correct, although the experts say 40% charge for "long term storage". The charging circuit in the device keeps the battery from discharging completely to 0%, it shuts the device down before that happens. And the experts do recommend that you do a "discharge/full charge cycle" to calibrate the device charging circuits.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
A while ago I had the same problem with the battery. It drained all the way within 2-3 days.

When I called Kindle support, the CS person told me to restart my kindle. For some reason, after the restart, my kindle battery-life was restored!

Try restarting. Menu --> Settings. Menu --> Restart Kindle.

Let me know if this solves your problem
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
starlighzz

Thanks everyone!
I have checked and no book is indexing, and I have restarted from the menu. I haven't used it much today, I'll check back later about this charge.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It certainly sounds as if you have a faulty battery. My 3G K3 runs for weeks on a battery charge. I'd suggest that you contact customer service and arrange for it to be replaced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I get about 8-9 days out of mine, with reading about 4-6 hours a day. I once got 3 weeks out of it but then I was only doing about 1 hours reading every day. The least I've ever got out of it was 5 days, but that was during a heavy reading period (8 hours +/ day). I use my reader a lot so I'm happy with my 8-9 days.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I get about 8-9 days out of mine, with reading about 4-6 hours a day. I once got 3 weeks out of it but then I was only doing about 1 hours reading every day. The least I've ever got out of it was 5 days, but that was during a heavy reading period (8 hours +/ day). I use my reader a lot so I'm happy with my 8-9 days.
Yes, that sounds good. I only read for about an hour a day on mine .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that sounds good. I only read for about an hour a day on mine .
Thanx, I thought it was ok as I use mine a lot, but it's good to be reassured
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote