Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The Hunger Games - Collins

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins. I was looking for a book for my middle daughter (13) and heard this was a good book. It's a FANTASTIC book and she loved it as well. It's set in a future where the US (and seemingly the rest of the world) has been wiped out and been replaced by Panem. The capital city is surrounded by 13 "districts" that each specialize in providing one kind of goods or services to the capital. There had been a rebellion by the districts against the capital that was won by the capital and one of the districts was destroyed. In order to discourage further uprising, the capital instituted the hunger games.

Each year, each district chooses by lot, one girl and one boy to participate in the hunger games. The games are a fight to the death, only one kid survives and that person's district receives extra food and other perks for the next year.

Sounds horrible, and it is horrible. However dark the setting, it's a terrific story about a special girl named Katniss. You are pulled in by her from page one. You are introduced to the suffering she endures in her difficult world. You feel the bond she feels with her best friend and her younger sister Prim. Your heart drops with her heart as her younger sister, at 12, is picked for the hunger games.

It goes on from there. It's mad mad, Lord of the Flies told in a novel way with characters you'll fall in love with. It's aimed at the young adult market -- so it's an easy and quick read. Highly recommended. My wife hated the description of the book -- but after my daughter and I couldn't put the book down and read it over a weekend and then raved about it -- she's reading it too.

I'm already a third of the way through the sequel -- so don't buy just the one book, save the gas and buy them both at the same time

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
You know the third and final one (Mockingjay) is due out later this month, right?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
That's awesome you were pulled into the story like that, leebase! I felt the same way about it. I couldn't put it down, and I raced right through the second book. I thought the concept was interesting too because there have been a few of those dystopia/death-battle stories out in the world, but none of them involved people of this age group I don't think. Katniss kept me holding my breath the whole time. Just fantastic.

Did you know there's also a movie in production? I know I'll be first in line. I just hope they don't blow it like they did with The Golden Compass. Here's hoping it'll be great!

Any other books you or your daughters were really able to get into lately?
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With a review like that, I wonder if I can get an eBook copy of book 1 from the library.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
You know the third and final one (Mockingjay) is due out later this month, right?
I did not know, thanks for the heads up!

Lee
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With a review like that, I wonder if I can get an eBook copy of book 1 from the library.
I can't read ebooks from our library yet But perhaps you check out a pbook from your library, and then grab the ebook from the darknet, and destroy the ebook when you return the pbook

Lee
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Any other books you or your daughters were really able to get into lately?
Well, THEY loved the Twilight books but I stuck to just watching the movies

My youngest just finished Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card and enjoyed it. I had each of my three daughters read a book this summer that I picked for them.

My oldest (15) and I are reading John Adams by David McCullough together. Actually reading it out loud to each other. We haven't gotten very far into the book but have been enjoying the discussion together.

Lee
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Well, THEY loved the Twilight books but I stuck to just watching the movies

My oldest (15) and I are reading John Adams by David McCullough together. Actually reading it out loud to each other. We haven't gotten very far into the book but have been enjoying the discussion together.

Lee
Twilight is omnipresent. You just can't escape it. I actually didn't even know about it because I was abroad, and I happened to visit my sister in Seattle and passed Forks, WA on our way to the seacoast. I was shocked by the frenzied fans running aroung! How could people possibly get so wrapped up in these things?

And John Adams is a beast of a book! Reading it outloud? Wow. That could take you the whole summer. I'm impressed. Sounds like reading has definitely given you a way of bonding with them. Thumbs up.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
And John Adams is a beast of a book! Reading it outloud? Wow. That could take you the whole summer. I'm impressed. Sounds like reading has definitely given you a way of bonding with them. Thumbs up.
Yes, it's been a terrific bonding experience. We've long watched "our show" (we pick a TV show that we both like) to watch together and talk about as we watch. The first one was "Joan of Arcadia" -- we had a lot of good discussions watching that series.

I didn't originally plan for this to be a read along, but the book was just too difficult for her to read on her own. One of my goals is to open her mind to how great history can be. She has a good mind for such things but "I hate history" she says.

Well, as predicted, she is actually enjoying the book and our reading it together. We have wonderful talks and it's fun to watch her mind at work. In one scene Adams goes to Phil. and has dinner with Generals Washington and Gates who had been officers in the British Army during the French and Indian war.

I asked her "what did the French and Indian War have to do with our American Revolution?". She answered "taxes". I was THRILLED. It showed she really had been paying attention and putting things together.

Lee
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Yes, it's been a terrific bonding experience. We've long watched "our show" (we pick a TV show that we both like) to watch together and talk about as we watch. The first one was "Joan of Arcadia" -- we had a lot of good discussions watching that series.

I didn't originally plan for this to be a read along, but the book was just too difficult for her to read on her own. One of my goals is to open her mind to how great history can be. She has a good mind for such things but "I hate history" she says.

Well, as predicted, she is actually enjoying the book and our reading it together. We have wonderful talks and it's fun to watch her mind at work. In one scene Adams goes to Phil. and has dinner with Generals Washington and Gates who had been officers in the British Army during the French and Indian war.

I asked her "what did the French and Indian War have to do with our American Revolution?". She answered "taxes". I was THRILLED. It showed she really had been paying attention and putting things together.

Lee
That's fun to read about. Experiences like that will change her opinion of history and help her critical thinking skills. Another book I think any teen/parent should be exposed to is Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. It's sort of modern history about the increase of globalization and what that means for our upcoming generation as they choose careers and enter the perpetually changing economy. It really opened my eyes. Give it a look: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U913GG