Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
K2 new update problems with screensaver hack

Okay, so I was running 2.0.3 with SS 0.4. I decided the new update looked like a good deal, so I tried to uninstall the screensaver hack and install the 2.3 update. I was able to uninstall the screensaver hack no problem, but when I downloaded the manual update file from Amazon's website, it didn't take. Instead, during the update it went to "stage 2 of 3" and then said something to the effect of "this update was not successful". When it rebooted, it said I was running 2.0.4. I tried updating again, but to no avail. Once it gets to "stage 2" (which now says "stage 2 of 2") it quickly goes to "not successful". I tried calling customer service, but the tech didn't know what was going on. Unfortunately, I'm in a rural area that rarely gets a sprint signal, so I basically have to do everything over USB. Supposedly, the 'more advanced technician' is coming in on Tuesday and will look at my case and email me back.

If anyone has any other suggestions in the mean time, let me know! Otherwise, I'll keep you updated. Fortunately, the K2 is still functional, just without the native PDF or screen rotate. Oh well.
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I had this problem (although we didnt get 'stages' with the Int version) and realised the uninstall hack had not worked and the hack was still there (I had font and screensaver hack). Apparently when you connect wirelessly, Amazon can tell whether the hack has been installed!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
ruddell
Enthusiast

Hmm - so, what did you have to do? Did you just put the hack uninstall file back into the root directory and run update again? Also, I know I put the font hack on there, but I forget now where I got it from or how to uninstall it. If anyone can help with trying to get that uninstalled, I'd appreciate it! Thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The instructions for installing and uninstalling the .04 (and .03) screensaver hacks can be found here.

Edit: I now see it was the font hack you were having trouble with.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-26-2009 at 05:28 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
ruddell
Enthusiast

ok - found the font uninstall link (https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...-install-files) - tried that and then put the 2.3 update file back on - worked like a charm!
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
chaungo
chaungo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Cant update after installing hack on V2.3

I followed all the directions for installing the screensaver hack, but after I unplug from the computer and try to update the Kindle, the update screen is not highlighted. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
chaungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I followed all the directions for installing the screensaver hack, but after I unplug from the computer and try to update the Kindle, the update screen is not highlighted. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
You have to make sure you're using the correct file for your Kindle. Check your Kindle serial number:

B002 = Kindle U.S. = update_screensaverhack-install-K2.bin
B003 = Kindle International = update_screensaverhack-install-K2i.bin
B004 = Kindle DX U.S. = update_screensaverhack-install-dx.bin

See the link my sig for more instructions.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote