Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #31
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I'm up to four complete re-reads of the first five books in the trilogy. I'm wary of the sixth book since it is not Mr. Adams writing.

I suppose I should also count the 837 times I've listened to the complete BBC radio plays as well. The Cathedral of Hate and Agrajag still always manages to creep me out for some reason.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #32
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
The last books I reread were Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, and before that it was the Hithiker's Guide series. I find I just have no interest in going back to an old book when my "to read" pile just keeps getting bigger.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I re-read a few times a year. What I re-read is based on my mood.
Specific titles? A lot but I'll see what comes to mind...

Eric Flint - 1632
Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Rider
David Weber - Empire from the Ashes
Isaac Asimov - The End of Eternity
Robert Heinlein - Beyond this Horizon
Lois McMaster Bujold - A Civil Campaign
S. M. Stirling - Island in the sea of time
Christopher Stasheff - My son, the Wizard
Piers Anthony - Man from Mundania
Niven & Pournelle - Oath of Fealty
F.M. Busby - Rissa Kerguelen (omnibus edition)
Poul Anderson - There Will be Time
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I try to reread books I stopped partway through because I wasn't enjoying them at the time. I often enjoy them immensely on the second try.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #35
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Animal Farm by George Orwell is my most re-read book.

I probably would re-read the Harry Potter books and I also run through A Christmas Carol every year, too.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Animal Farm by George Orwell is my most re-read book.

I probably would re-read the Harry Potter books and I also run through A Christmas Carol every year, too.
This is so funny. I've never thought of myself as one who does much re-reading, but people in this thread keep throwing out names of books that make me feel the necessity of re-evaluating how I see myself. Yes, I've also Animal Farm more than once, and for the Book Club last year I re-read Dicken's A Christmas Carol; something I hadn't done in a very, very long time.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #37
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
In English, I've reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy many times. It goes back to when I was about 9 years old and the teacher devoted part of each day reading some of The Hobbit. Since then I have reread the books about every 2-3 years.

In French, I've probably reread Les Misérables the most. I plan on rereading it before the film adaptation of the musical comes out.

I try to (re)read books before seeing the film version. That means I plan on reading Team of Rivals soon and rereading The Great Gatsby this year.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Steven Brust's Khavreen and Taltos books. Anthony Price's spy book series.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #39
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Anne McCaffrey's DragonSong. Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword. Lois McMaster Bujol's Chalion series.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #40
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Plus, I have a 12 year-old grand-daughter, who provides me with an excuse to re-read anything I enjoy. I've been reading to her since she was born, and although she is now a very competent (and voracious) reader, she still comes to me for a story when she stays over.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
Spock96
Book Geek.
Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I can't re-read books, soon as I either pull one out or start thinking about doing so I'll remember most of the jist of the story and then I put it back.
Spock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock96 View Post
I can't re-read books, soon as I either pull one out or start thinking about doing so I'll remember most of the jist of the story and then I put it back.
But the story is not the interesting part. The journey is. A good book you should be able to re-read event if you remember every detail.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #43
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But the story is not the interesting part. The journey is.
people seem to forget that. It's the skill of the narrator at a campfire that turns fishing stories into something to remember.

HHGG is very hard to put down simply because of Adams' side commentary and crazy concepts, not because it has a phenomenal story or great plot (some would say any plot at all)...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #44
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But the story is not the interesting part. The journey is. A good book you should be able to re-read event if you remember every detail.
Amen to that! And spending time again with the characters that I love (or love to hate) is a big reason for me to re-read.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #45
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never understood why people can watch a movie over and over, but not read a book more than once.
I would rather read a book multiple times over seeing a movie over again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote