Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question regarding library issue

Netflix; you can "rent" one of their instantly downloadable movies. Do the movie company distrubitors give them a limited number total downloads they can give out? Because this is in effect the same thing as ebooks, right?
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Some of those streaming movies do come with time limitations, they are only available to stream until a set date in the future. Netflix does offer physical copies of their movies though which alleviates some of the concern.

Should the purchase of an ebook by a library allow them to print a number of copies for their patrons? It might quell some of the unrest, but soon most readers will be reading ebooks and won't need physical copies, so that isn't a workable solution.

???
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Some of those streaming movies do come with time limitations, they are only available to stream until a set date in the future.
Which is a completely different thing from only being able to rent it a fixed number of times.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Which is a completely different thing from only being able to rent it a fixed number of times.
There's not so much difference between Netflix paying for a license to stream a movie for X number of days and a library paying to license X number of checkouts of an ebook.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not aware of a netflix policy whereby a movie will be deleted from its servers once a set number of downloads has been reached.

The time thing was similar I thought, which is why I mentioned it. If you really want to know the answer to this question, call Netflix.

More interesting, at least to me and pertaining to the Harpercollins Library Debacle, is the fact that a good portion of books that are checked out from libraries are not read, perhaps a portion of all of them are, but I expect some taxpayer money to be lost to the aether of unread books if this idea is spread beyond where it currently sits.

An example,

10 people check out a book and read it in its entirety

The next 5 people check out the book then forget about it and the book is deleted from their reader.

11 more people check out the book and read it in its entirety.

---------

How many book reads have been lost?

But the money for those reads has already been transferred to the publishing company, I do hope this is clear, they have been paid by the taxpayer for nothing.

To be fair, this has not yet occurred, as least to my knowledge, But the fact that the idea has been taken as far it has, it does not bode well.

Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
There's not so much difference between Netflix paying for a license to stream a movie for X number of days and a library paying to license X number of checkouts of an ebook.
I've seen no mention of any changes in prices charged to libraries. In other words, they're expected to pay the same price for a tiny fraction of the same thing.

I know I won't be buying anything from this publisher again.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
http://www.tested.com/news/how-much-...licenses/1662/

Apparently Netflix originally got a sweetheart deal, but now the companies want more. It's paying $200 million to Disney for the rights to stream their movies just for this year...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-netflix-71957

(Another reason libraries should just stick to books...)

Last edited by JeremyR; 03-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I only read about half of my library checkouts. Sad, I know.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I only read about half of my library checkouts. Sad, I know.
Not sad at all! That's always been the great thing about libraries... you can go and pick out an armful of books you think you might like, and there's no cost to you (other than time) if it turns out the book sucks and you stop reading it after a chapter or if you never get around to reading it in the first place. You can discover new authors and new genres through free trial and error, whereas if you had to buy all your books you might be more hesitant to try something you may not like.

Yay libraries
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrocrazy View Post
Not sad at all! That's always been the great thing about libraries... you can go and pick out an armful of books you think you might like, and there's no cost to you (other than time) if it turns out the book sucks and you stop reading it after a chapter or if you never get around to reading it in the first place. You can discover new authors and new genres through free trial and error, whereas if you had to buy all your books you might be more hesitant to try something you may not like.

Yay libraries
If this harpercollins garbage stands up, which I don't think it will, each checkout is bought and paid for by the library, whether it is read or not.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
If this harpercollins garbage stands up, which I don't think it will, each checkout is bought and paid for by the library, whether it is read or not.

Yeah. I mean, I would feel guilty checking out an HC book that I might not read if I knew it meant denying other people a chance later.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

In most countries, the "Public Lending Right" (which the US rather strangely lacks) means that it costs the library system money whenever you borrow a paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote