Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ask Robert about Thai support

Hi Robert,

I'm interested in this ebook reader. Just 2 questions:

1. Can the reader display Thai characters correctly?

2. Will you plan to support dictionary lookup in the next firmware release?

Thank you
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I attach a prc file for any of you to try. This enews file was created by Mobipocket on my PC desktop. Could you please try to open it on your PP and take the screen photo for my view. Thanks in advance.

If you can guess that it is displaying garbage, please try to change the font with the one I attach here as well.

Really appreciated your effort to do this for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AngsanaFont.zip (437.5 KB, 292 views)
File Type: prc Manager_Online_-_Breaking_News_CF0104AE.prc (640.8 KB, 281 views)
Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Thai font are fine on HANLIN and Clone in all format with embedded fonts.(PDF)
for Formats with Internal Fonts, You need Thai Locale Firmware. (TXT RTF DOC)
some format need to save as UNICODE (TXT RTF)
Only V3 has Beta Thai Firmware.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist

May I ask someone to try the above document and show the display for my view.

I really need to see how it display.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
May I ask someone to try the above document and show the display for my view.
Is this file hardwiring the Angsana fonts? In any case, the PRC file does not open on the PocketPro.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi Wallcraft,

I don't know whether it is hardwired or not.

So you have tried opening the prc file, and it cannot be opened?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So you have tried opening the prc file, and it cannot be opened?
Yes. I get the "working" icon for a couple of seconds and then a return to the bookshelf without the ebook ever opening.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. I get the "working" icon for a couple of seconds and then a return to the bookshelf without the ebook ever opening.
It's strange. This enews file was created by Mobipocket desktop. So there must be some conflict with the Thai characters.

Could you open this English enews for me? It is important that at least I can read English content on prc format.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: prc MobileRead_Forums_FF6393DF.prc (92.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Could you open this English enews for me? It is important that at least I can read English content on prc format.
Yes, this works.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist

Wallcraft...thanks a lot.
Another question: the news topics link also works?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Another question: the news topics link also works?
Yes. Links work as does the "backwards" menu item to go back to the links page.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist

Wallcraft..thanks a lot. So prc works quite well.
By the way, do you know there is any hope to have dictionary look up function in the future?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
By the way, do you know there is any hope to have dictionary look up function in the future?
In my opinion, there is zero chance that the Hanlins will get MOBI dictionary support, because now Adobe ePub is their "primary" format. Given your investment in MOBI, it is likely that the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 is your best option. It is probably more expensive in Thailand than the Hanlins, but it is more capable for MOBI.

There is, though, some chance that the Pocket Pro will get some kind of dictionary support. This might be eReader dictionaries, or a built-in (firmware) dictionary. The fact that the Hanlins support so many formats works against dictionaries, since complete support across all formats requires more effort. So I would put the odds low, perhaps 15%.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks Wallcraft.

Now I'm inclined to Pocketbook 301+. Main deciding factor are Thai language support, and dictionary lookup. I did not puchase many mobi ebooks; but I love full-content enews retrieved by Mobipocket in prc files. PB301 can read prc file, though still not perfect; but I can live with that. Only gripe is its page turn buttons which are not placed well. I may end up having to use both hands, instead of one.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Using Calibre for getting RSS Feeds.
Dictionary Look up is supported by Coolreader, modified firmware from LBOOK. also Thai Firmware with Stardict.

Last edited by keng2000; 10-12-2009 at 10:40 PM.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote