Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #61
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Hopefully that means you now have things up and running? Do you like the results?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #62
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Has anyone had a problem with some links working, when others do not?

My website recently got shifted to a new host. When this happened, some of my links no longer worked. The stanza catalog shows a question mark for the cover, and when I try to download a book, I get a notice that the epub contained no data.

I can browse the catalog using Firefox, and I checked the links.

If I click on Books by Series, then Series: J, then Jane Madison, and then 2: Sorcery And The Single Girl, I get a 404 error. Here is the link that the catalog generates:
Code:
http://mywebsite/my_ebook_directory/Mindy%20Klasky/Sorcery%20And%20The%20Single%20Girl%20%28952%29/Sorcery%20And%20The%20Single%20Girl%20-%20Mindy%20Klasky.epub
However, if I browse the directory by going to
Code:
 http://mywebsite/my_ebook_directory/
and clicking on Mindy Klasky, then Sorcery and the Single Girl (952)/, then Sorcery And The Single Girl - Mindy Klasky.epub, I am able to access the book using my browser. Here is the link:
Code:
http://mywebsite/my_ebook_directory/Mindy%20Klasky/Sorcery%20and%20the%20Single%20Girl%20(952)/Sorcery%20And%20The%20Single%20Girl%20-%20Mindy%20Klasky.epub
The only difference in the links are the parentheses: %28 and %29 for ( and ).

Compare this to one that works: Jim Butcher's Summer Knight.
Here is the catalog link:
Code:
http://mywebsite/my_ebook_directory/Jim%20Butcher/Summer%20Knight%20%28183%29/Summer%20Knight%20-%20Jim%20Butcher.epub
and here is the directory link:
Code:
http://mywebsite/my_ebook_directory/Jim%20Butcher/Summer%20Knight%20(183)/Summer%20Knight%20-%20Jim%20Butcher.epub
Both of these work.

What am I missing here? I've verified the books (and cover images) actually exist using my FTP client. I can see it by browsing the directory. But the catalog entry leads to a 404 page.

I've got a support ticket in with my webhost, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem. They did mention that they generally discourage spaces in file names, since that could create unusual errors, but since it worked on my last host, they're still looking into it.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #63
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is one difference between the first two URL's - the first one has "And" in the URL while the second one has "and". This will matter if (as is commonly the case) the file names are case significant on the web server.

I have found this can happen if using Calibre on Windows and when updating the metadata the title or author are updated with the only difference being case. Since Windows file systems are case insignificant the file rename is effectively ignored by Windows and you end up with the filename and the calibre metadata disagreeing on the case. The Calibre2Web script always uses the case from the Metadata when generating the catalog files.

As this problem does not occur when creating new files, the workaround is to edit the title (or author if that is where the discrepancy occurs) to some other value (I normally just add an "X" on the end) and then after committing that change changing it back. This will make the metadata and filenames agree on case.

The point you mention about spaces (or other special characters) should not matter as they should always be escaped using %xx syntax as shown in your examples.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #64
ki5ck
Connoisseur

Very good catch! I thought I examined the two URLs closer than that.

That makes perfect sense, and I'm doing an FTP sync now.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #65
ki5ck
Connoisseur

It worked. Although I had to manually change the directory name on the server.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #66
Colaveare
Colaveare began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I rarely do become a member to online forums but in this case I just had too.

I want to say thanks itimpi.
Your scrip does exactly what I wanted.

When you have 1000+ ebooks it's a little long to pull the calibre webserver feed and finding the ones you want.

Took me about 4 hours to create my own webserver and to configure everything for it (for a first timer not to bad *grin*) but once everything was setup..

Again itimpi...

THANKS!
Colaveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #67
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Is there a reason that some catalogs fully download and others do not or why some ebooks have the download ability and others do not?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #68
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Is there a reason that some catalogs fully download and others do not
I do not see such problems. It may simply be that the catalog download is timing out for some reason. This is more likely to happen if downloading over the phone network rather than via Wifi. If specific files are giving an error then it could be an error in the catalog generation - if you can identify the catalog file in such a case I would be interested in having a copy to see if I can spot what is going wrong. The first message in this thread should always have the latest version of the script attached to it.

Make sure that you are using the latest copy of the script. Some of the recent updates were to fix issues around correctly escaping unusual characters at the XML level which could otherwise stop catalogs loading.

Quote:
or why some ebooks have the download ability and others do not?
Are you saying that they start to download and then fail or that there is no download link?

If there is no download link - then that will be because the script currently checks to see if there is an epub file, and only generates the download link if there is one. It is relatively trivial to change the script to either filter out listing books for which there is no epub book, or to allow for other file types. I personally like to see all entries from the Calibre library even if I do not yet have books in the correct electronic format.

If there is a download link, and it then fails to start the download it can mean that there is a case discrepancy between the file mentioned in the catalog XML and the actual filename on the web server. Note this only matters if you are running the web server on a system where case in filenames is significant. Correcting the case in such cases will fix the issue. The script always uses the case defined in the calibre metadata.db file, so ideally you should change any files which have the wrong case in their name to match the calibre database. Let me know if this is what is happening for you, as it would be possible to enhance the script to look at the actual files on the hard disk, and use the case from there instead - I will think about that.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #69
Colaveare
Colaveare began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
or why some ebooks have the download ability and others do not?

If this is for the iPhone it might be due to the fact that you have not converted to epub format.
After doing so try rerunning the script again.
Colaveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #70
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to recreate what I'm talking about. Let's say I go to Authors and click on the Letter S. The catalog loads but I get "Catalog Error-Error reading catalog data. Please try again later." The catalog's loading is abbreviated in that not all the S authors names are loaded. Then, if I load an individual author's name, from time to time, I'll get a "catalog empty" & the "Catalog Error" message. I know that there are two epub files in say "Sarah Morgan's" folder but the books aren't appearing in Stanza.

As to the other issue of a book not being in epub form but still being in the library, thanks for that explanation. Makes perfect sense and I like looking at the books too. Serves as a not so subtle reminder to convert some books.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #71
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to recreate what I'm talking about. Let's say I go to Authors and click on the Letter S. The catalog loads but I get "Catalog Error-Error reading catalog data. Please try again later." The catalog's loading is abbreviated in that not all the S authors names are loaded.
Can you send us a copy of the Author-S.xml? I'm guessing there might are some illegal characters that's why it's not showing up. One of the primary culprits I've found is & (must be & )
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #72
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to recreate what I'm talking about. Let's say I go to Authors and click on the Letter S. The catalog loads but I get "Catalog Error-Error reading catalog data. Please try again later." The catalog's loading is abbreviated in that not all the S authors names are loaded.
Stanza gives up if any error occurs. This can be a network level error, or an error in the XML of the catalog file.

If you are prepared to upload the Author-S.xml file I can see if it appears to be correct.

Another check you can try is to try and load it into Internet Explorer. If there is an error at the XML level then that should show it.

Quote:
Then, if I load an individual author's name, from time to time, I'll get a "catalog empty" & the "Catalog Error" message. I know that there are two epub files in say "Sarah Morgan's" folder but the books aren't appearing in Stanza.
Difficult to determine off-hand if this is an error in the XML file generated or simply a time-out. I assume that Calibre is indicating it thinks there is an epub file there? I only mention this as I have seen cases where although the file is there, it is not shown as there at the metadata level in Calibre.

What are you using as your web server? Knowing that might give an inidcation as to whether you are likely to be hitting the issue I mentioned with the case of files differing at the Calibre level and the File System level.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #73
da_jane
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Another check you can try is to try and load it into Internet Explorer. If there is an error at the XML level then that should show it.
I am using HFS as my webserver on a headless box. I note that for my Author-S file, the XML is corrupted or cut off at the author name Shana Abé with the accent over the e.

In another file, (Author-D), the XML is corrupted or cuts off after an apostrophe such as Jacquie D'Allessandro.

In the Sarah Morgan file, I couldn't figure out the problem. I've uploaded the file here.

Thanks for helping me out guys. You are teaching me how to fish, a little.
Attached Files
File Type: xml Author939.xml (2.1 KB, 452 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #74
itimpi
Wizard

That file you uploaded does not load correctly into Internet Explorer - it says there is an invalid character. This suggests that something should have been escaped at the XML or URL level that that has not been. I will see if I can work out exactly which character(s) have caused the problem and when I have done so upload a version of the Calibre2Web script that fixes the problem.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #75
itimpi
Wizard

That file you uploaded does not load correctly into Internet Explorer - it says there is an invalid character. This suggests that something should have been escaped at the XML or URL level that that has not been. I will see if I can work out exactly which character(s) have caused the problem and when I have done so upload a version of the Calibre2Web script that fixes the problem. At first glance it looks as though the script is not correctly handling non-ASCII characters in a URL. Such URL's can be generated at the moment if you have a non-ASCII character in an author or Title

Last edited by itimpi; 05-23-2009 at 05:59 PM.