Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Spektakel
Spektakel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Problems after formatting - "Library empty"

After adding a few books to the Cybook I received monday, it did not boot up any more, it got stuck on the 'loading' screen. It turned out that one of the folders I uploaded to the Cybook was corrupt, and I couldn't even delete it (persistent 'read-only').

I had backed-up the system folder immediately when connecting the Cybook for the first time, so I decided to reformat the cybook, and place the backed up system folder back on the clean Cybook. After this the cybook starts up again, but it did not create new standard folders (eBooks, Music, etc.). So I placed my backed-up eBooks, Music, Fonts and Pictures folders back on the Cybook, loaded with the standard demo books and some added books.

The problem is, that it doesn't seem to recognize these folders, it keeps saying "Library empty"! So, it's not possible to use the Cybook anymore.

When I tried to insert an SD card, the Cybook did make new folders automatically, and when I place books in these SD card folders, the books do show up in the library. But the books on the internal memory of the Cybook don't show, and when there's no SD card in the Cybook, it still says the library is empty, although there are lots of books and pictures in it, in the right folders.

Also, when switching on the Cybook, it keeps asking me to select the language everytime.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!!
Spektakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What firmware version is your CyBook? From the "Library" screen, display the menu, then select "Advanced", "About...".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Spektakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What firmware version is your CyBook? From the "Library" screen, display the menu, then select "Advanced", "About...".
Cybook Gen3
Version: ARM920T (400MHz)

Boo Reader
Version: 1.2 (build 834)
Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, try reformatting your CyBook's file system, but DON'T copy back your system folder. After formatting, switch the machine off and back on again. The CyBook will automatically recreate the system folder (and the others) when it boots. You may have a corrupt copy of this folder.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
ANd make sure you format the CyBook as FAT32 not NTFS

Quote:
In that case, try reformatting your CyBook's file system, but DON'T copy back your system folder. After formatting, switch the machine off and back on again. The CyBook will automatically recreate the system folder (and the others) when it boots. You may have a corrupt copy of this folder.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Spektakel

Quote:
Thanks, I've just tried this, and it doesn't work either. After formatting (FAT32) and booting the Cybook, the internal memory keeps empty, no system or other folders are made automatically. So, still the same problem.

Any more things I could try? I'm getting pretty desperate...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think you'll need to contact Bookeen (support@bookeen.com) and ask for their advice. You've tried all the obvious things that normally cure problems like this.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Spektakel

I've already e-mailed Bookeen, but on these forums I've read that they are very slow to reply to and support these kind of e-mails. I'm going traveling for a long time in 2 weeks however, which is why I bought the Cybook in the first place, so there's not much time left to work this out...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
ser1us
Enthusiast
ser1us doesn't litterser1us doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook Gen3
try to replace the device. I have the exactly the same problem with versino 1.4 885, bookeen wasn't able to resolve my problem until now, now i'm going to have my device replaced
ser1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Spektakel

Ser1us, thanks for answering. That's not very hopeful... I've got some questions for you:

- Can you also use the Cybook as normal, when an SD card is inserted with e-books?
- Also, do you use Linux to connect to your Cybook?
- Does Bookeen replace your Cybook for free, and do they pay the shipment costs both ways?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
ser1us
Enthusiast
ser1us doesn't litterser1us doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook Gen3
hi spektakel

just to make clear, I have a 1.4 version which uses epub as files, but the delivered handbook was in mobi format -> no chance to read the user manual, however that's when I decided to clear up my cybook to make space for my books which means I formatted the device.... biiiig mistake!!

Now to your questions:
- Yes exactly, I can put in an SD card, all default folders are generated. I can copy epub, pdf and html files to the eBooks folder on the SD Card, all are listed in the library after unplugging from the computer
- well, for primary use at home I have a mac, but to solve the problem I tried to use it on a mac, windows xp, windows 7 and ubuntu linux, all of them recognize the device just fine and I can put files on it but cybook does not recognize them on the internal memory
- I was in contact with Bookeen for two weeks now, the only thing they could tell me is that I have to create the default folders on the device (eBooks, Fonts, Pictures ..) and then put a file in it, which doesn't work btw. And then they told me to re-format my device again and again, but that didn't solve my problem either...

That's when I got so frustrated that I called the store where I bought my Cybook (in my case Weltbild in Switzerland), explained my problem and especially I told them that I was not able to read bought books since I bought my device two weeks ago (as Adobe Digital Editions doesn't recognize my device anymore and I'm unable to transfer bought books to cybook). They agreed with me that it's currently a 400.- swiss francs paperweight and that should not be the case so I can bring my device back and get a new one, sooner or later at least ;-)

Regards,
ser1us
ser1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Spektakel

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, Ser1us! I have just sent my Cybook back to Bookeen...

So, do any of you know how long it takes for Bookeen to fix and send back a broken (software) Cybook?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektakel View Post
Thanks for your comprehensive answer, Ser1us! I have just sent my Cybook back to Bookeen...

So, do any of you know how long it takes for Bookeen to fix and send back a broken (software) Cybook?
Did they ask you to send it and give you a RMA number? If not you should NOT send the device!
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Spektakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Did they ask you to send it and give you a RMA number? If not you should NOT send the device!
Yes, they did...