Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #121
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The contrast is 75% better with Lbook.
My goodness! I must have been missing something, I have the latest firmware on my PP and always think the only thing I don't like about it is the screen contrast - the Astak mentor has one of the best screen contrast but no the PP. So where is this Lbook firmware, do I void my warranty if I install Lbook on the PP?
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #122
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Jusmee:

The song and dance is true. We DO use A-grade screens. I believe so does the Nook. There are manufacturers that use B-Grade and undersell. Yes, the 5 inch Pocket PRO is smaller than the 6 inch Nook, of course. Better?? That is very, very subjective at best. I think what was meant by the initial poster is the Nook has the LCD screen on the bottom. The E-Ink part is the same.
Except that is pointless when the firmware does not make the best possible use of it.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #123
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Should not bother the warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
My goodness! I must have been missing something, I have the latest firmware on my PP and always think the only thing I don't like about it is the screen contrast - the Astak mentor has one of the best screen contrast but no the PP. So where is this Lbook firmware, do I void my warranty if I install Lbook on the PP?
Dear Sylver:

I do not think that changing to Lbook firmware will have any impact on your warranty at all. It MIGHT make it a bit harder to work with technical support as our techs do not know that firmware and have no training. But, overall, I would think it will not affect the warranty. I will check with the Project Manage; but I expect no problem.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #124
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are not "problems". Getting Coolreader or a new FB2 or even Dictionary Support is damned nice... but it is not a problem. l

Not being able to get the size font I want to read my ePubs with IS a problem, and Coolreader solves it!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #125
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88330
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #126
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Thanks, Robert and jusmee, will give it a try.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #127
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
. just be aware that an angry factory can hurt our end users and playing nice seems to be essential.

See, that's where it is all wrong. The factory should be very afraid of annoying it's customers, not the other way around. It's crazy that we should have to pussyfoot around.

OTOH, we could be dealing with large companies, like some of your competitors, that just ignore users completely - there's plenty of that type as well
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #128
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Dear Blossom:

As you know, I have been very honest on here about my frustration with the firmware coming from our factory. I have also been very vocal at this office that releasing firmware that drains batteries is apprehensible.

Frankly, I am overjoyed that you like the lBook firmware. I will likely switch over also until the factory can get an F.U. out that is really top notch with no detractions.

What this Astak dedicated forum is about is to find ways to make things even better for those who own our devices. If it be Lbook firmware then that is great. However, I will not stop pressing the factory to do it better.

I am appreciative of your thoughts and your post!
Hi Robert, I've just got to say I feel so much better after seeing what you wrote here. I've heard people talk about the lbook firmware, but for the longest time I held out downloading it, because then I felt like a traitor for not keeping the Astak firmware on my Astak ereader. I finally downloaded lbook last week (I think), and I really like it. I like that fonts seem darker (especially in the bookshelf view), but mostly I like the file management system of being able to copy, move and delete books. Seeing you say you are considering switching to lbook until the Astak firmware improves makes me feel so much better! I know it's a silly thing, but I really appreciate your honesty regarding the firmware. Well, your honesty over everything here on the forums! I do like the lbook firmware, but if Astak comes out with something I like just as well, I'd prefer switching back to that.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Dear Blossom:

As you know, I have been very honest on here about my frustration with the firmware coming from our factory. I have also been very vocal at this office that releasing firmware that drains batteries is apprehensible.

Frankly, I am overjoyed that you like the lBook firmware. I will likely switch over also until the factory can get an F.U. out that is really top notch with no detractions.

What this Astak dedicated forum is about is to find ways to make things even better for those who own our devices. If it be Lbook firmware then that is great. However, I will not stop pressing the factory to do it better.

I am appreciative of your thoughts and your post!
Wow I totally must of missed your reply Robert til I saw it quoted in Davimee post!

Right now the Lbook firmware is better then December's Firmware I have used since I got my PP in March. Coolreader 3 and file management really make Lbook firmware worth switching not to mention the contrast is much better. You know how solid I have been on using MOBI/PRC format but it just took two days of using CoolReader for me to switch totally to EPUB.

CoolReader still has some issues. inline Links with files that has spaces or special characters in it are broken. Page breaks are iffy as well. If there is Chapters with a header graphic it ignores the page break. It does not see the TOC of an EPUB file but those are the only issues I have come across.

ADE seems the same to me though I do not prefer to use it.

Also do not turn the reader off while in a book I notice the screen stays frozen on the last page. Close the book first then turn off the unit and you will get the goodbye graphic and a proper blank screen. At least this happens to me in Coolreader.

I think you'll like the Lbook firmware. At first I felt a little lost but the people here were so helpful. One thing about trying Lbook you'll be able to really see the difference and compare what needs to be implemented and improved in Astak's version.

I have not given up hope for better firmware from Astak but I'm very happy there was an alternative to try till the factory does get it stuff together. To me that is what the EzReader is all about, not being locked into any one thing. I can choose many formats, I can buy my books anywhere I want and now I can try different firmware if need be.

I'm a very content EzReader owner.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote