Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #376
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I think the remark about lesser screen contrast is a bit exagerated. I have the strong impression the T2 screen is slightly better readable than the T1 screen (but I sold the T1 before buying the T2 so I cannot compare 'live').
Does the T-2 not have the ability to adjust the custom adjust the contrast, as is possible on the T-1 (and the 650 for that matter)? If so, perhaps the effect of the slightly grayer text could be eliminated or improved this way?.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #377
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
... the screen. It is a tad whiter, but so are the dark pixels. Comparing my T1 and my T2 side-by-side (same book, same page), the T1 has better contrast. It's not even close. I played around with the settings a bit, but couldn't really change things for the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I think the remark about lesser screen contrast is a bit exagerated. I have the strong impression the T2 screen is slightly better readable than the T1 screen (but I sold the T1 before buying the T2 so I cannot compare 'live').
I've put my T1 side-by-side with three T2s, and in every instance the T2 screen was noticeably whiter and the text sharper/crisper/darker. But others have found the T1 comparable or better(?!). Results seem to depend on the individual units being used for the comparison and the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Does the T-2 not have the ability to adjust the custom adjust the contrast, as is possible on the T-1 (and the 650 for that matter)? If so, perhaps the effect of the slightly grayer text could be eliminated or improved this way?.
The T2 has the same custom contrast/brightness adjustment options as the T1.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 09-17-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarity
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #378
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
It is the same technology. The only reason you see differences in contrast and background color are because of quality and raw material fluctuations. This is perfectly normal and noticable with EVERY kind of display. Put 5 identical TVs, phones or tablets side by side and you will see even greater differences in color temperature and contrast.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #379
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
The technical information on this site is pretty amazing. I especially like the discussion between altruizine, rkomar, Kolenka and others on the T2 potential violation of GPL for refreshing eink algorithm. Good stuff guys, keep them honest.

I bought a white and a black T1 last year and as timing would have it, my white T1 just had half of its screen pixels not responding 2 days ago. Since it is less than a year and I bought it in the physical Sony store, I brought it back and was posed with a couple of options.

1. They can mail it back and get me a new white T1 with 3-4 weeks turn around time.
2. They can swap out my white T1 to another T2 (of any color) and I have to pay 3 years extended warranty ($30). (I don't even know what that really entails.)
and
3. They can offer #2 for my black T1 as well so kinda of a 2 for 1 option.

I oped option 2 with a matted black version instead. I paid $30 for a 3 years warranty. (even if my white one had none and it had the audio.) And kept my black T1.

Just wanted to share my experience because between this site, Calibre and Kolenka's original T1 driver, I have benefited tremendously for the last year.

BTW, I have been tracking T1 prices ever since its launch. It went DRASTICALLY reduced from initial launch price of $129, I bought it at the Sony store for $99 (+Tax around Dec. 10th) and at one point, I saw Abt Electronics offered it for $75 (Jan 2012). (Pricing mistake of some sort.)

Just in case people are looking for T1 on the cheap or want a a reference.

Thank you all and FWIW, I see no difference between screen quality of T1 and T2. If I hold down page forward button, I get T2 flipping pages faster. (after 10 second, only 5-6 pages faster.) And although I miss the audio, I really never used it. (Between MP3 players, S3, tablet and even Bose with Airplay... really never used it, even when I fill a 8GB external card with sound.)

All in all, I do love the matte black finish for the new T2.

Last edited by azxswq; 09-17-2012 at 11:29 AM.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #380
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I've put my T1 side-by-side with three T2s, and in every instance the T2 screen was noticeably whiter and the text sharper/crisper/darker. But others have found the T1 comparable or better(?!). Results seem to depend on the individual units being used for the comparison and the eye of the beholder.
Several reviews have noted the whiter screen of the T2. If you have multiple T1 & T2 devices for direct comparison (as you and I have done), then I believe this difference is more apparent and not just screen manufacturing tolerances. I think the issue with the contrast is because of the changes in the software to the fonts. I'm not sure yet which I like better. Sony is advertising a more "natural" screen display than their competitors. I think they mean that the T2 screen appears "more paperlike" by the lighter screen background and the crisper text. I do have to agree that it is more paperlike. The text seems smoother but lighter weight (less bold). I think it is the lighter weight font that gives some people the impression of less contrast compared to the T1. However, if you look at images on the T2, then at least on mine the blacks seem darker. In fact, images look really good on the T2. It does take some getting used to the new look. I think I like the T2 better. It sort of reminds me of the comparison between the 350 and other X50 models.

Here is something interesting that I have noted. I opened the same book (public domain classic from Sony Reader Store) on both the T1 and T2. I have them set at the same font size. The T2 displays the same size larger than the T1. I like the smaller size of the T1. I read on the smaller font sizes. Most people probably read on larger sizes and wouldn't notice.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #381
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I have a T1 and got the T2 because I wanted more contrast. I compared the two carefully, and I think the T2 DOES have slightly better contrast (it's pretty hard to tell). It certainly manages fonts differently -- both built-in and custom fonts had more words per line on the T2. I finally decided the T2 is harder to read, as the fonts were not as open and were less bold, and returned it.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #382
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Sony is advertising a more "natural" screen display than their competitors. I think they mean that the T2 screen appears "more paperlike" by the lighter screen background and the crisper text. I do have to agree that it is more paperlike.
I agree that the T2 appears more paperlike. For me, the difference is the shade of white. The screen on my T1 is a cool white, leaning toward gray. The screen on my mom's T2 is a warm white, leaning toward ivory. This warm white looks more like book paper to me than the cool white. Also, I find the combination of black text on a warm-white (ivory-ish) screen provides a sharper contrast than black text on a cool-white (pale gray-ish) screen.

Maybe this color variation can be chalked up to screen manufacturing tolerances. I don't know. All I know is that I like it.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #383
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I popped into the local Sony store with my T1 in tow and put it beside a T2. The T2 was noticeably whiter. Page turns were a little faster as well, and the buttons didn't seem any easier/harder/worse/better than those on the T1 after a couple of minutes of tinkering. I like the new home screen and apps screen layout.

If I were still using my 350 I'd be seriously tempted, but I can't justify upgrading a less-than-one-year-old T1 that still works perfectly.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #384
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Has Sony lost the edge over other readers?
obviously it has, otherwise you wouldn't even start the thread and question it.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #385
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
Quote:
Has Sony lost the edge over other readers?
obviously it has, otherwise you wouldn't even start the thread and question it.
Who are you quoting?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #386
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I just wanted to make a note on all the "e-waste" we are currently producing, all of which gets shipped to China to pollute the land and poison the people there. So I personally wouldn't replace my PRS-650 just because the T2 is slightly whiter.

And sure, you'll tell me that the old reader will get passed down. But that's just one step in the process and our demand just causes more of these gadgets to be made, for reasons of questionable importance.

I hope the pedestal I'm standing on right now isn't too tall :P
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #387
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I just wanted to make a note on all the "e-waste" we are currently producing, all of which gets shipped to China to pollute the land and poison the people there. So I personally wouldn't replace my PRS-650 just because the T2 is slightly whiter.

And sure, you'll tell me that the old reader will get passed down. But that's just one step in the process and our demand just causes more of these gadgets to be made, for reasons of questionable importance.

I hope the pedestal I'm standing on right now isn't too tall :P
OFF TOPIC

ciao Faforza,
I did not know nothing about ewaste, could you send me a link?Sometime ago I was asking to my self this question, about the stocks of PC unsold, so I suggested to asus to do a PC with old hardware, less expensive with linux.
Really would like to know more about the sutainability of hi tech, because I think but probably I am wrong, that throwing away 1 refrigerator could pollute more considering that as dimension is just equivalent to more than thousand readers. Probably I am wrong because of the real technical part are limited in tv, washing machines etc. can be doable recycling for this kind of things? thank you to share your thoughts about that anyway.As reader I feel responsible for what I produce

Last edited by trocchietto; 09-21-2012 at 03:26 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #388
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
I did not know nothing about ewaste, could you send me a link?
This one should get you all you need to know...
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #389
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
probably I am wrong, that throwing away 1 refrigerator could pollute more considering that as dimension is just equivalent to more than thousand readers.
A fridge is mostly metal, which can be disassembled fairly easily and recycled. With electronics, most of it are computer boards, batteries, tiny transistors, etc. Getting to the worthwhile metals is more difficult. As far as I know, one way they do it pretty much by smelting the stuff, releasing all kinds of noxious gases, and of course having poor people doing it in a manual process.

Hope I'm not thread jacking here
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #390
henson0115
Enthusiast
henson0115 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
has anyone noticed that the t2 has a 800hz cpu and the t1 has a 1gig cpu? what are the chance's in getting the t2 software on the t1
henson0115 is offline   Reply With Quote