Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Cusco
Cusco began at the beginning.

Device: none
A few questions regarding the kindle 3

Hi all,
I am looking for an Ebook reader.,
Mainly I'll be using it to read classics and the occasional new release.
As well, scholarly research articles in PDF format.

I was fairly set at the Kobo due to the price point, but now the Kindle offers better features for less money (namely dictionary, better ergonomics, higher contrast, and greater speed). Mostly it's the dictionary feature I would REALLY like.

I was going to order the Kindle 3, however Amazon want to make it completely exclusive to their brand by not allowing EPUB. Most of the free books I find online are in the EPUB format. So I had a few questions

1) How is the conversion from EPUB to mobi? I know what software to use and whatever else, but I don't want to be resolving punctuation issues with my EBOOKs.

2) Will the dictionary work with ANY book?

3) Is the DRM very messy with Amazon, ie. does it feel like you are locked in and Amazon has their hand in everything you do concerning your ebook purchases etc.?

Thanks for any replies.
Cheers
Cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
1) Conversion is very good.
2) I'd assume so. It does on my K1, including plain text files. I don't know about PDFs though.
3) DRM is no more messy with Amazon than anyone else. To be honest it's not something I even think about. And, I don't worry about "Big Brother Amazon" at all.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
On point 2. I have both Kindle and Kobo. I really like the Kobo ... but ... if the dictionary is important to you (I love that feature), it's a deal breaker and you should go with the Kindle. Yes, the dictionary works with all Kindle books (which includes ePubs converted to mobi or prc to play on the Kindle).

I agree about DRM; it is what it is. If you are using the Kindle or its associated apps, you don't need to worry about removing it. I know how to remove it but have stopped doing it because there is no need.

About pdf: a 6" screen is usually pretty small for pdfs OR you have to rotate the file and read a page in three gulps. Both Kobo and Kindle support that adequately. But, mainly, pdf's are much more practical on a PC with a decent sized screen.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Cusco
Cusco began at the beginning.

Device: none
I appreciate the replies guys.
I've decided to wait and see till September. If the Kobo drops in price significantly to compete with the Kindle, I'll get it. If not I'll order the Kindle 3, hopefully it doesn't become so popular that I'll have to wait months and months for the shipment :P
Thanks again,
cheers
Cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
On point 1, the conversion is only as good as the source. Some ebook publishers (I'm looking at you, Tor) appear to not even proofread their ebook editions, and you get horrible typesetting and errors. If you see punctuation errors, there's a good chance it's in the source.
I store all my books in ePub format, and convert them as necessary. this makes it much easier for me to edit them if they need fixing.

On point 3, I don't let the door hit the DRM's butt on it's way out. The kindle DRM is as easy to strip as any other format, but in general, unless you're a recalcitrant fogey like me, you won't even notice the subtle eroding of your rights. They make it easy to move books between your devices and unless you want to fix errors or move the book to a non-supported device, it won't bother you.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert