Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Dan21
Dan21 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Indecision Amongst the Ebooks

Hi All,

I've recently taken an interest in getting an e-reader. My first inclination being an Amazon Kindle, but upon further research, I decided that may not be the way to go.
A little background: I am a college student who enjoys reading recreationally (when time allows) and would be using my e-book as a reader for all my PDF files that I have with school (political science major, not too many graphs).

After reading that the Kindle lacks sufficient PDF support, no access to library e-books, I was really turned off and looked into Sony. The Sony PRS-505 really intrigued me, but they discontinued it, and the PRS-600 has the complaint of glare, and I'm not looking for touch. I really liked the jetbook and the price of it, but I think I am set on an E-Ink device, not a large palm pilot. So this led me to Astak's EZ Reader, with all the supported files and expandable memory, it looks really intriguing, especially being $60-100 cheaper than the Kindle, Nook, and PRS-600. For the same price however I could get the Sony PRS-300, but that does not have expandable memory (and the internal is very small).

My question to you, who own the devices mentioned, should I get the Astak EZ reader or go with the trusted Sony name and give up a lot of memory? Please note I am not so interested in purchasing best sellers, plus I am a bit tech-savvy, another reason the Kindle turned me off.

In search of e-direction,

Dan
Dan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Metacom
Metacom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition (PRS 300)
Just so you know, ebooks are usually really tiny in size. Even "War and Peace" is about 2 megs, and thats pretty huge for an ebook.

The PRS 300 has 440 megs usable memory, so you can fit alot of books on it even without expandable memory.

I bought a PRS 300 last week and had already decided the lack of expandable memory was not a factor for me.
Metacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Dan21
Dan21 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Thanks Metacom,

I think I'm really down to the PRS-300 or the Astak Pocket Pro. I know eBooks are pretty small, I guess I just want as much memory as possible :P (having bought the 80 gig iPod haha).
Dan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook and jetBook-lite have much faster sharp and crisp TFT scren if compare with E Ink screen:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=12
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote