Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Offie
Enthusiast
Offie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Voyage
kindle Voyage VS kindle 4: screen hue

I am sorry if someone has made a similar thread already, but I don't think so as I could not find any comparison between Kindle 4 and kindle Voyage.
I would be grateful if you could tell me if your Voyage looks like that too:

So I got a Kindle Voyage two days ago, and as I compared it with my Kindle 4 I can't say that the screen is whiter.
Over the forum people say that the screen is much brighter than on the Paperwhite, so I don't understand why it would be less bright than good old Kindle 4.
I also read that people complain of a yellowish color, but only in regards to the front light.
My kindle Voyage, though, seems yellower to me with the light all down than my Kindle 4. Actually when I turn the light all the way up it is uniform with no blue or yellow spot, rather perfectly white-ish. But I never use the front light. So is the color of my Voyage normal or should I send it back as flawed?

Here are two pictures, the first one is what it looks in real life (more or less, the "yellowness" is more visible in reality).
On the second version of the picture I pushed up the contrast to find out if there was really yellow involved.

It appears that color wise my old Kindle 4 is better... Is this the normal color for the Voyage?
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141028_11540vf3.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	130280   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141028_115403.jpg
Views:	1969
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	130281  

Last edited by Offie; 10-28-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Offie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I don't understand what you're talking about, the Voyage clearly has a brighter screen than the Kindle 4 in the pictures that you posted.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I don't understand what you're talking about, the Voyage clearly has a brighter screen than the Kindle 4 in the pictures that you posted.
I agree--the fonts look much sharper on the Voyage, as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are YOU happy with it, Offie? That's all that matters. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You'll find that the color varies from unit to unit. Some seem to have a more bluish cast, other more yellowish. If it bothers you, exchange it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both my PW2 and my H2O have a yellow tint to their frontlights, which personally I like.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Offie
Enthusiast
Offie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with others

Haydnfan, sorry if I'm not clear!

To me, "brighter" would mean whiter and not more yellow. And my Voyage is much more yellow than my Kindle 4. So I was just wondering if that was totally normal or not. And I guess it is, considering your and shalym's comment!
Thank you for answering.

HarryT, weirdly enough I feel more comfortable reading on the Kindle 4 screen: even though the Voyage's resolution and crispiness is much better, to my total dismay I really feel more eye strain with it. So I'm trying to find out why, and if the yellow color is involved. But thanks to you all I now know that it's not the problem.

Maybe the glass screen is what bothers me, I don't know... This does not make any sense. I have bad eyes and a bad sight, but I've never really experienced eye strain with a kindle before.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are YOU happy with it, Offie? That's all that matters.
Wise words. That's my litmus test, as well... if I can sit down and read without eyestrain or getting distracted by something about the device, then I'm happy.

Offie: I think the Kindle 4 screen is excellent, and can understand why you'd enjoy reading on it. Since you find it more comfortable than the Voyage, why not just stick with the Kindle 4?
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offie View Post
Haydnfan, sorry if I'm not clear!

To me, "brighter" would mean whiter and not more yellow. And my Voyage is much more yellow than my Kindle 4. So I was just wondering if that was totally normal or not. And I guess it is, considering your and shalym's comment!
Thank you for answering.
Okay then yes that is normal.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Offie
Enthusiast

geekaren, you are right I think I will stick to the Kindle 4 for as long as it will work... But the touch-screen Kindles have features that I really like. Among other things, the dictionary system is much better, and that (and the vocabulary builder) is very useful for me when reading in languages I'm learning (English and Spanish). Buttons + touch screen is the combination I was dreaming of, and the Voyage just seemed to be it. So I'm disappointed to find out that the Voyage won't do for me.
All in all it is an impressive device, but if the reading's not comfortable for me, what's the point?
So yes, you're right, that's what I should consider.

Thanks to all of you for answering!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
hola!claude
Enthusiast
hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4NT B
Offie thanks for your comparison!

I thought that the voyage would be better for the eye strain but I was probably wrong,
there was a study that compared different monitors(LCD,e ink etc) that found that what really made a difference was the resolution of the screens more than the type of the screens(it was posted here on mobile read...)
But this is probably not the case...

Is the kindle 4 still the king of the forest for contrast and eye strain problems?

It would be interesting if others that own both the voyage and the Kindle 4 chime in and compare the two about the eye strain!
hola!claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
ONE of the differences is that the frontlight can't be turned off without jailbreaking it. That's not much of a problem on the Voyage but it *does* make the PaperWhites somewhat more washed-out with less contrast in a bright room or in direct sun.

A jailbroken PaperWhite with the ability to toggle off the frontlight (KoReader offers this: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki) makes a big difference under these conditions.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
ONE of the differences is that the frontlight can't be turned off without jailbreaking it. That's not much of a problem on the Voyage but it *does* make the PaperWhites somewhat more washed-out with less contrast in a bright room or in direct sun.
"In a bright room or in direct sun" is precisely the situation when you want to have the frontlight on a high setting, not off. You want it on a low setting in a dark room.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Sharone
Enthusiast
Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle (3) Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"In a bright room or in direct sun" is precisely the situation when you want to have the frontlight on a high setting, not off. You want it on a low setting in a dark room.
I don't see why you would want the frontlight on high in direct sunlight... Is that using the PW or the KV?

Coming from my use of K3 and a K4, I would imagine that in direct sunlight you wouldn't want the light on at all

1) Drains the battery faster
2) It *is* bright enough for reading, hence no lights are required

Am I missing something?
Sharone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharone View Post
I don't see why you would want the frontlight on high in direct sunlight... Is that using the PW or the KV?

Coming from my use of K3 and a K4, I would imagine that in direct sunlight you wouldn't want the light on at all

1) Drains the battery faster
2) It *is* bright enough for reading, hence no lights are required

Am I missing something?
Improved contrast, and reduced bezel shadow (if not a flush-screen device). YMMV.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote