Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
boardlord
boardlord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
PW2-Sideloaded books don't show up until reboot

Hello guys, I tried to search for this, but wasn't successful...

Since a couple of weeks if I transfer anything (book, file, anything) over USB (be it with calibre or simply with Explorer) it won't show up until a reboot...

It's a jailbreaked PW2.

Have you noticed anything like this? Is there a way to "force" a refresh without a reboot? Thanks!
boardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Best guess: the Catalog or the Indexer is spinning in the mud, which confuses everything.

Did you notice a sharp drop in battery life recently?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
boardlord

Unfortunately I don't have a good reference for what is a good battery life. I've recently upgraded from a Nook STR. I've had to recharge my Kindle cca. every 1.5 weeks, but I've been using it pretty frequently...

Now I've reset it, transferred all my books again with Calibre, and waiting for the indexer to finish. I'll report back when it finished!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
boardlord

Ok, it finished indexing (I think). I searched for a gibberish expression and it said "Items Not Yet Indexed (2)" However, when I tap on this, no items show up and it says under the action bar: "Items Not Yet Indexed (0)"... Why is that?
Old 05-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle indexer 'works' in mysterious ways .
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
boardlord

That could be true Maybe it's KUAL's azw?

Anyway, I've just uploaded a book from Calibre and it showed after ejecting my Kindle... Now I'm starting to get why people get repeatedly frustrated with the indexing service

If only there were an Android-based eink reader with the PW2-'s hardware...

Thanks for your attention!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nah, Apps are a completely different thing, and ignored by the Indexer .
Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
Same problem happened to me 1 month ago, and I've solved by formatting the visible partition.
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Which is (part) of what a factory reset does too .
Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
boardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Same problem happened to me 1 month ago, and I've solved by formatting the visible partition.
You mean that you just simply right-clicked on the Kindle's drive letter and selected format, and then just restarted the Kindle? I'm thinking of doing this, since when I reset my Kindle it didn't delete my stuff.

It's jailbroken, and KUAL+backdoor lock hack+frontlight manager are installed.

Should uninstall JD and the others before I format?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@boardlord: If you want them gone, yes. The factory reset doesn't touch the main FW, just user content & settings, so it just 'breaks' some hacks, it doesn't necessarily uninstall them.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
boardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@boardlord: If you want them gone, yes. The factory reset doesn't touch the main FW, just user content & settings, so it just 'breaks' some hacks, it doesn't necessarily uninstall them.
Is there a way to COMPLETELY reset my Kindle? Like REALLY factory reset-reflashing the complete firmware?

Last edited by boardlord; 05-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, just what you said: factory reset + official firmware upgrade/downgrade.