Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Post Calibre runs on what o/s?

Sorry if this question seems silly, but I can find no place on the Calibre site or Mobileread which lists the operating systems which Calibre runs on. I'm thinking of buying a new tablet (etc) which will enable me to look up things in Calibre from the reading device. (I have far too many books on the device to page through the choices, so I want some accelerated choices).

So, I know I can choose Windows. What else?

Thanks in advance :-)
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
TdeV - Windows, OS/X and Linux - see http://calibre-ebook.com/download - the Portable is for Windows

But I don't see how that greatly effects what tablet to buy, calibre itself does not run on either of the major Tablet/Phone operating systems - Android, IOS. There are 'app's and calibre plug-ins that facilitate integration between calibre on the desktop and tablets, they are desktop OS agnostic (I think).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-08-2014 at 05:17 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Sorry if this question seems silly, but I can find no place on the Calibre site or Mobileread which lists the operating systems which Calibre runs on. I'm thinking of buying a new tablet (etc) which will enable me to look up things in Calibre from the reading device. (I have far too many books on the device to page through the choices, so I want some accelerated choices).

So, I know I can choose Windows. What else?
Linux, Mac OSX, FreeBSD

For a [non-windows] tablet have a look at "Calibre Companion".

You can also use Calibre library residing on your "big" computer from a cheap tablet as long as you are on the same network. All you need is a browser and Wifi. Calibre has its own built-in web server that you can activate.

I also use "save to disk" from Calibre to make subdirectories with author names, series, and so on. Then I make a catalog of the books I have exported, so I can look at the long list of the books on my reader in form of beautifully hyperlinked epub or mobi file,
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
TdeV
Dabbler

Thanks, BetterRed and Kacir. I want to run Calibre on my new reading device. I have a Nook now and I've seen a couple of Kindles and I don't think any of them are any good at helping a reader pick a book to read. I don't want to go to the pc to look up a new book, I want to do it from my reading chair. As far as I can see, that means I need a tablet (or ilk) that runs Calibre.

Last edited by TdeV; 03-08-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Thanks, BetterRed. I want to run Calibre on my new reading device. I have a Nook now and I've seen a couple of Kindles and I don't think any of them are any good at helping a reader pick a book to read. I don't want to go to the pc to look up a new book, I want to do it from my reading chair. As far as I can see, that means I need a tablet (or ilk) that runs Calibre.
As I said calibre runs on Windows, OS/X, Linux and as Kacir says BSD Unix - calibre does not run on IOS or Android (or Windows RT)

You can run calibre as a 'server' on any of those and access the library via a browser.

Using the 'server' feature of calibre I think you can access the library from your Nook and Kindles wirelessly, and if you wanted, remotely over the 'net. Maybe you don't even need a tablet !

I'll leave it to others to explain how you can do that as its not a feature I use.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-08-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
TdeV
Dabbler

I'm definitely interested in this server business!

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre-server.html

I'd be interested in hearing how people use it (or don't use it).

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Here's one of the better 'what it does' write ups, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39501...-in-the-world/

Be careful with it tho, calibre is being improved continuously, so the info in there may not be up to date, but I doubt the basics have changed.

BR
Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Reading devices usually do not run Calibre.

Calibre is a Library Manager with conversion tools. That needs lots of CPU and storage Horsepower.

Calibre prepares and (many times) manages the transfers of books to devices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In addition to using the calibre server, you can also load large portions of your library on yur device. Most will have enough memory to hold over a thousand books.

The best way to use calibre with any Android tablet is to purchase the Calibre Companion app, which will sync with calibre and allow you a wealth of options to sort/search/filter your books, and allow you to open them from Calibre Companion into any reading app you have installed. See the dedicated subforum for Calibre Companion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=264
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As eschwartz says Calibre Companion might be a solution for you (unless you want a Surface Pro where you can run full Calibre although I'm not sure how well it runs). I use CC and store all my books on my tablet (transferred via wireless transfer from Calibre on my PC) and love it. I love having my whole library available and being able to browse it by the tags, author & series info I have in Calibre. I usually read with either Moon+ Pro or Mantano. Attached a couple of screen shots of CC on my tablet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-09-01-26-10.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	120004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-09-01-26-39.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	120005  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags