Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #16
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I've never read any of the Star Wars books. Should I? I'm pretty hardcore about any science content in what I read. I can suspend disbelief about certain things, such as light sabers and so on, but not basic physics. I'm afraid I ruined Star Wars for my kids by pointing out how in this galaxy, "far, far away", every ship, planet, even asteroid, had Earth-normal gravity.

What are the books like in terms of basic physics?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
About the same, some have a bit more than others.

It's the stories that drive the books, in fact I really find that the movies are the weakest part of the "Star Wars Universe" for me, story-wise. The books by Zahn and Stackpole (I particularly liked I, Jedi) are much stronger tales. Of course it's going to come down to a matter of taste for each person.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I've never read any of the Star Wars books. Should I? I'm pretty hardcore about any science content in what I read. I can suspend disbelief about certain things, such as light sabers and so on, but not basic physics. I'm afraid I ruined Star Wars for my kids by pointing out how in this galaxy, "far, far away", every ship, planet, even asteroid, had Earth-normal gravity.

This wouldn't be a very good book to start with in the Star Wars universe, anyway. It depends quite a bit on a lot of back information from other books. For example, Luke is married to a woman named Mara Jade from Timothy Zahn's books, and they have a son named Ben. Ben is the padawan of Jacen, who is Han and Leia's son. Also, this particular series begins by pulling a lot of information from Marvel and Dark Horse's comic book franchises, so it can be really confusing to someone who's only seen the movies.

The science is not very rigorous, either. I personally consider the Star Wars novels to be more of a fantasy set in a highly technological era rather than pure science fiction.

But anyway, I'm glad they did this. I really enjoyed this book, and I'm glad to see more publishers doing this type of thing. I wish there was an html, version, though.

Last edited by plantedbypiggies; 04-29-2008 at 03:52 PM.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeserattePD View Post
I see that you've got an ebookwise... any chance you could send me a copy once you're done with conversion? I'd really appreciate that.
Of course, I'd be happy to. Assuming I can do it. I'm not good at that sort of thing, so we shall see what happens. I've got some sort of pdf "unlocker" around here somewhere. Maybe that will start the process.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Looks like it's number one on the download list at Amazon. Glad to see a major publishing house using this strategy. Also, if you check the top 10 list on Amazon, there's another free SF book also.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
The article blurb says the file can be printed. However when looking at the PDF it's completely locked down except for accessibility options. I'd be curious to know how well DixieGal's unlocking efforts go since I also use an EB-1150.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A Mobipocket version can be downloaded free at Books On Board...
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=227930
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #23
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatton View Post
The article blurb says the file can be printed. However when looking at the PDF it's completely locked down except for accessibility options. I'd be curious to know how well DixieGal's unlocking efforts go since I also use an EB-1150.
I've managed to save a copy by right clicking on the link and choosing "save as", this way you don't actually open the file.
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 AM   #24
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Of course, I'd be happy to. Assuming I can do it. I'm not good at that sort of thing, so we shall see what happens. I've got some sort of pdf "unlocker" around here somewhere. Maybe that will start the process.
Well you seem to know more about this than I do. Best of luck!
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nice! I've downloaded in BBeB for my PRS, audiobook for my iPod and PDF for storage.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Converted for EB-1150

Hey, I think it worked. Maybe - after 4 months of messing up books - I'm starting to get the hang of this. Enjoy!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hey, I think it worked. Maybe - after 4 months of messing up books - I'm starting to get the hang of this. Enjoy!
Sorry, DixieGal, but this book is very definitely under copyright. Unfortunately, their giving it away for free doesn't automatically mean that others can re-post it for distribution, and that's one of the things our forum policy respects, so I've removed the attachment.

Also, everyone else will please note that openly requesting that copies of this file be emailed to you would also be against forum policy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!

NatCH:

No problem. I wondered about the copyright dealies and fully expected it to be unlinked.

Here is how I did the conversion, in case anyone wonders. It is pretty simple to do, which is about all my low-tech brain can deal with.
1. Saved as pdf
2. Opened as unrestricted version with a-pdf (google it)
3. Re-saved as rtf
4. Created imp version in eBookwise Librarian (download at eBookwise site)
Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Thanks for sharing the info.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A Mobipocket version can be downloaded free at Books On Board...
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=227930
This one should be even easier to convert to the Ebookwise-1150 using mobi2imp.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
del rey, free book, star wars