Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
skylark28
skylark28 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Title changes on kindle

I did numerous searches, but can't find anything about this....

I have a few kindle books that have odd names on the kindle.
file:///G|/rah/Bill%20Baldwin/Baldwin,%20Bill%20-%20The%20Helmsman%2007%20-%20The%20Defiance.txt

So I put it into Calibre and change the Title of the book and the author. I load it onto Kindle and once again it is that bizarre looking name.

I've noticed under the editing window, that I can hit the i button (load metadata from the metadata in the selected format and it changes it to the bizarre name.

I go into the folder and even delete the metadata file, but that doesn't help.

I've also noticed this happens even when the title was something less bizarre. I renamed a large series to have a number at the beginning to make it easier to find the one I wanted, but the old title still appears in the kindle without the number.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by skylark28; 04-26-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: kindle, calibre, title, different
skylark28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
skylark28
skylark28 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ok... may have found something.

I RECONVERT it again... even though it was already in kindle format.
Go to edit:
Now there are 2 files in the available format in the upper right.
One in mobi and one that is prc.
Delete the PrC. now when I move it over, it no longer has the bizarre name.
This also appears to work if you want to change the title to have a number or whatever.

Ok, it works, but that's gonna be a lot of work.
skylark28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
I think the change in metadata doesn't "stick" unless you convert the book. Calibre will convert mobi to mobi.

But you already found that out.

Last edited by Deja Moo; 04-26-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: you already found that out.
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Alternatively, simply save the book (select "save to disk"). This is faster and easier than doing a conversion, and just as effective.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I find that if I use the Plugboards, a lot of these problems go away as well. It seems that Calibre moves the file over to Kindle with "New Metadata" associated with your plugboard setup.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert