Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If the price is right, it might be a nice thing. (though, I just heard you can't setup a proxy with the galaxy tab!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Exactly.

They'll always be something newer/fresher/hotter, and unless you have more money than God, you're never going to be able to keep up-- so you can just enjoy it while you have it.
Technology is changing faster than the speed of light (practically), and your device will most certainly always be trumped by something else sooner rather than later.
The way I look at it is, if it still does everything I wanted it to when I bought it, then there's no real reason to upgrade or lust after something else.

It's almost like buying a car. It still drives doesn't it? You don't trade it in when the new model comes out every fall, do you?

Most changes are superficial for the most part anyway. Slimmer, lighter, prettier screen, etc.
Generally this makes sense. Not in this case, since Froyo really doesn't work well for tablets (try showing several open windows on screen at the same time? -- just one example). Tablets could do a lot more than they can with Froyo. The same from the hardware side -- the resolution on the Tab is not satisfactory and graphics will be much improved shortly. The Tab has been a semi finished product that was rushed to the market to catch the first tablet wave. Still good enough for reading and surfing, of course. But why buy right before watershed changes? Would only make sense if the Tab was real cheap, which it definitely isn't.

That being said, it will probably be easy to self-upgrade the Galaxy Tab with help from XDA-Developers or other websites.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If the price is right, it might be a nice thing. (though, I just heard you can't setup a proxy with the galaxy tab!)
One thing that really bugs me about Android now is that you can't run encrypted PPTP VPN and setting up OpenVPN is different for every device and ROM and a real pain. I wonder if HoneyComb fixes this?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But why buy right before watershed changes? Would only make sense if the Tab was real cheap, which it definitely isn't.
Like the $250 nookcolor.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Well, if you think something better is around the corner and will be offered at comparable price, it makes sense to wait. I say that even as someone who can afford to upgrade devices fairly frequently. Tablets are still in relatively early development, so it makes even more sense to wait if you're watching your money.
Exactly! I'm not a gadget nut, and I don't have limited resources. So if I'm going to make just one purchase, I'm going to watch and plan accordingly to ensure I get it at the right time. There's also the fact that I've come in on the tail end of some products that were undergoing aggressive two year refresh cycles, and got burned badly when they dumped all support for the previous model only weeks after releasing the new one. So yeah, I'm a bit cautious these days in how I make my tech purchases.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Generally this makes sense. Not in this case, since Froyo really doesn't work well for tablets (try showing several open windows on screen at the same time? -- just one example). Tablets could do a lot more than they can with Froyo. The same from the hardware side -- the resolution on the Tab is not satisfactory and graphics will be much improved shortly. The Tab has been a semi finished product that was rushed to the market to catch the first tablet wave. Still good enough for reading and surfing, of course. But why buy right before watershed changes? Would only make sense if the Tab was real cheap, which it definitely isn't.

That being said, it will probably be easy to self-upgrade the Galaxy Tab with help from XDA-Developers or other websites.
Android runs on devices that have different screen sizes and resolutions. The Galaxy Tab itself has no problems running Froyo. Even though Froyo is not optimized for tablets, it works well on the Galaxy Tab. The change(s) and additional support is for the apps which of course use the operating system to render the UI on screen.

The main issues is with "some" applications because when you are a developer and you are writing an app. you need to have the ability to sync your product for different screens: resolutions and sizes. But the Operating System itself runs without issues.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Well, if you think something better is around the corner and will be offered at comparable price, it makes sense to wait. I say that even as someone who can afford to upgrade devices fairly frequently. Tablets are still in relatively early development, so it makes even more sense to wait if you're watching your money.
Exactly. Waiting indefinitely doesn't make sense, of course - but if you're buying something you're planning on keeping for a while, it can certainly make sense to wait.

I would never buy an iPhone in May, for example, since I know that they are updated every June.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Android runs on devices that have different screen sizes and resolutions. The Galaxy Tab itself has no problems running Froyo. Even though Froyo is not optimized for tablets, it works well on the Galaxy Tab. The change(s) and additional support is for the apps which of course use the operating system to render the UI on screen.

The main issues is with "some" applications because when you are a developer and you are writing an app. you need to have the ability to sync your product for different screens: resolutions and sizes. But the Operating System itself runs without issues.
Of course, Froyo runs well on the Tab. Not all applications written for 3-5" will look good on the much larger screen. Honeycomb will do a lot more than Froyo, and combined with dual core processors, will give you a lot more power.

Still, the Tab is a nice device, but US$ 300 would be more like it. To each his own I guess. I would advise people who don't "have to have it right now" to wait a few more months. You will get something you can be happier with over several years of usage and OS upgrades. Or you may get the Tab for 250 in May and upgrade yourself.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I agree with the sentiment to buy a tablet with Android 3.0 for Tablets capability. (This is different than Android 2.4 coming for smart phones -- there will be a split in the OS from what I understand ... and that's not counting Android vs Chrome OS.)

Given Samsung's tenacious commitment to Android and tablets, I'd be shocked if the current Galaxy Tab was not going to be ungradeable and directly supported by Samsung. Still, it's early days and the prudent can't be faulted for waiting one more quarter to see what's on shelves by mid-spring. Several brand name manufacturers will have shipping product by then including LG, HP, Asus and others I believe.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #25
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Of course, Froyo runs well on the Tab. Not all applications written for 3-5" will look good on the much larger screen. Honeycomb will do a lot more than Froyo, and combined with dual core processors, will give you a lot more power.

I'm not trying to be facetious, but just what is "a lot more than Froyo"?

There are some things that may be big to some, but are unimportant to me.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
I'm not trying to be facetious, but just what is "a lot more than Froyo"?

There are some things that may be big to some, but are unimportant to me.
Obviously, if you just care about reading on the tablet, then it doesn't really matter. For me a big thing is that Android 2.x seems to be a waste of screen real estate on a tablet, if I only can only have one open window on screen at a time then I can just as well stick with my Streak's 5" screen for my tablet needs.

But if I do get a tablet I want more "computer like" functionality. Meaning full featured document editing while browsing the web in a second window and perhaps watch a news clip in a third. Real multi tasking, not just background multitasking -- just to give you an example. Yes, we all have different needs and wants, if you don't want much, then there are better deals to be had than the Tab, I think.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #27
chuck2
chuck2 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7 Black
WHAT IS FROYO ? I'M NEW AT THIS
chuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2 View Post
I think he's one of those elf dudes in Lord of the Rings.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2 View Post
It's the name for Android 2.2. See here
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Obviously, if you just care about reading on the tablet, then it doesn't really matter. For me a big thing is that Android 2.x seems to be a waste of screen real estate on a tablet, if I only can only have one open window on screen at a time then I can just as well stick with my Streak's 5" screen for my tablet needs.

But if I do get a tablet I want more "computer like" functionality. Meaning full featured document editing while browsing the web in a second window and perhaps watch a news clip in a third. Real multi tasking, not just background multitasking -- just to give you an example. Yes, we all have different needs and wants, if you don't want much, then there are better deals to be had than the Tab, I think.
SOLD

As chuck2 says "I'M NEW AT THIS" (Android OS that is).
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote