Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
icebattle
icebattle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, iPhone, N810
PRS-500 Freeze Up

Hi all

I know others have experienced this issue, and I've read most of their posts.

Luckily for them, most seem to escape without harm! Not so lucky myself, so far.

Yesterday, as I was adjusting the orientation of a PDF I was viewing, the screen went blank. There were a few faint lines, but nothing else. I tried turning the unit on and off, but apart from the left-side LED, nothing else seemed to happen. ("Nothing" is the operative word here).

I know the unit was charged, but to be sure I placed it on charge for a few hours. Then I tried to reset it (paper clip in the reset hole). No luck.

I then tried the hard reset using the instructions from this forum. Still no luck. When I connect the unit to my PC, the Sony software is aware of it, although none of my books are there (perhaps they got blasted by my reset). I tried the firmware upgrade, but according to the software my unit has the latest firmware.

It's as though just the display has died, although I've had no warnings or seen anything bad until now.

I've tried repeated resets and spent about 3 hours attempting various key combos etc. Now and then whe I turn the unit on after a reset, I can make out some extremely faint display items, usually the boot screen - you have to know what you're looking for to make it out. But nothing happens after this and the unit seems to die.

Sooooo, has anyone else seen this? Is there a "deeper" reset option? Would opening the unit reveal anything worth revealing?
icebattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I will assume the display is dead or something VERY VERY wrong with the device. You can fake (force) a F/W upgrade.

1. Downloaded the package from Sony site and unpack it into a directory.
2. Change the version number in the fiel eBookUpdater\assets\updaterAssets\PRSVersion.dat to a bigger number. (it is just a text fie)
3. RUn the upgrade.
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
icebattle
icebattle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, iPhone, N810
Thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately, the unit is still dead. While I was trying another bunch of hard resets, the screen ended up half dark, half white.

The update seems to work - the software recognises the 500 and goes through the motions, but no way does it resolve the issue.

Very frustrating. I've always babied it, and it dies like this.

I'm attaching a picture in case anyone wants to see what a dead PRS-500 looks like.

I'm probably going to get a Kindle2 or DX. Maybe they're made a bit better.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dead_prs_500.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	32447  
icebattle is offline   Reply With Quote